Amati HMS Vanguard

Enclosed is my first build, I should have kept a log but was too embarrassed that I wouldn’t finish it, but the end is in sight. I am struggling with the rigging a lot. Lines going through luber hole and rubbing up against edge of fighting deck, a straight shot would go through floor of fighting top. Also my knots/seizes are all coming undone., have resorted to superglue and very bad results with that.. anybody have a container/applicator for the 50% white glue,, hate making it fresh everyday….

0395AE78-451B-4AFB-9875-39AE76810BAE.jpeg

FAB3B28F-9533-48A4-B731-7B501BC8F1E1.jpeg

EA82DED9-2635-4F5E-BF8F-D0314D18FAD5.jpeg

DC5DFAB2-CF0A-4CAE-92E1-26F2572BE4AC.jpeg

F4A6484B-A556-4872-8904-792CD1A2919E.jpeg

4B3A7510-07E1-42B5-982F-D20BB44C0135.jpeg

Thanks, the toothpick idea is great, I will try that. I am allergic to the regular CA, so I use a surgical substitute,, and it seems to be fine,, just a little bit slower to set.

Self imposed shame an potential embarrassment is the number one reason why builders don't post a build log. The build log has become an essential tool for me in making decisions and getting new information based on forum member input. It has saved me from countless mistakes.

With CA glue, often less is more. It sets up faster.

Hey Paul, I'm with you on how frustratingly slow PVA glue takes to set up, so when I plank the hull using it, there's an electric heat gun on the table close by. A few seconds of hot air at a safe distance from the hull and the glue starts grabbing. You don't want too much heat or the glue boils and bubbles and does not bond as well, just enough warmed to dry some of the water out and start the bond. Don't get the hot air gun too close to poly line rigging or watch days of rigging work melt away before your very eyes. ;) (Please don't ask me how know this :confused:)

Last edited:
Thanks, the toothpick idea is great, I will try that. I am allergic to the regular CA, so I use a surgical substitute,, and it seems to be fine,, just a little bit slower to set.
I'm allergic to OTC CA as well. Loctite 403 has been my go-to solution (Amazon and elsewhere). It is medium viscosity, low odor, low bloom (doesn't leave a white haze), and sets quickly. I still experience a nominal reaction if I'm sitting next to an open bottle for several hours but it might be worth trying. It's a bit costly but perhaps less than losing your job for swiping the tissue adhesive off the cart ROTF ROTF ROTF.

Enclosed is my first build, I should have kept a log but was too embarrassed that I wouldn’t finish it, but the end is in sight. I am struggling with the rigging a lot. Lines going through luber hole and rubbing up against edge of fighting deck, a straight shot would go through floor of fighting top. Also my knots/seizes are all coming undone., have resorted to superglue and very bad results with that.. anybody have a container/applicator for the 50% white glue,, hate making it fresh everyday….

View attachment 336172

View attachment 336173

View attachment 336174

View attachment 336175

View attachment 336177

View attachment 336178
I use Bob Smith Industries Odorless CA, thin (3-5 secs) & gap filling medium.

Try CA gel (very thick gel viscosity CA) on the rigging knots…a small dab on the knot works well for me with very little wicking up the rigging line. I use CA gel a lot in my model builds. The gel takes a few extra seconds to cure than the thin but way easier to control for many applications.

Self imposed shame an potential embarrassment is the number one reason why builders don't post a build log. The build log has become an essential tool for me in making decisions and getting new information based on forum member input. It has saved me from countless mistakes.

With CA glue, often less is more. It sets up faster.

Hey Paul, I'm with out on how frustratingly slow PVA glue takes to set up, so when I plank the hull using it, there's an electric heat gun on the table close by. A few seconds of hot air at a safe distance from the hull and the glue starts grabbing. You don't want too much heat or the glue boils and bubbles and does not bond as well, just enough warmed to dry some of the water out and start the bond. Don't get the hot air gun too close to poly line rigging or watch days of rigging work melt away before your very eyes. ;) (Please don't ask me how know this :confused:)
I love the heat gun hinot for PVA glue…I have not heard of this one! Something to try! Thanks! Hmmm…about that poly line rigging encounter with a heat gun…. :)

Very nice looking job. I have sympathy with you as I am on the rigging stage of my Endeavour build and currently trying to work out the spider's web of rigging. I use white glue which dries clear to secure knots, applying with the tip of a bradel.

Back