Airfix Golden Hind 1/96 - First REAL ship build

Very true. Those two patterns you made are very nice.
Ants, grasshoppers, beetles and such work well on all freshwater.

Sadly I had to step away from working on my models for a while for family reasons but have gotten back in the saddle! Here's the latest on the Golden Hind build. I have finished all of the intricate work on the sides and have mounted all of the entrance way bulkheads and the transom. I've got the hull looking about like I wanted. Decided not to paint the water line but leave it natural. I like the look. Still have a bit of deck work to do, then on to masts. Dexter, my build buddy approves! :)

20240128_105522.jpg

20240128_105530.jpg

20240128_105539.jpg

20240128_105552.jpg

20240128_105619.jpg

20240128_105631.jpg

20240128_105858.jpg

Very nice work, swlusk! I've built two of these, & both look very similar. The only real difference is I used gel wood stain, a combo of oak & a touch of walnut between the paint work & waterline. After getting the hang of, & understanding what you must do to stain plastic, I'll never go back to paint again, at least on the hulls & deck. Right now, I'm repairing the Hind I built for my great-niece, (the rigging was damaged in a move) & that's much harder than doing the decorative painting! Have you considered building the ERTL version? Hard to find, but it's a larger scale, & was a fun build. But if I ever build another one, I'll use Model Expos "beautiful blocks" for the rigging. The supplied ones are junk! Did you use the paint directions supplied by Airfix, or did you try some research? I did, & it was basically an exercise in futility! Still, you've done a beautiful job
Rick1011

This is one of the things I love about these forums, I had never heard of gel wood stain. This is pretty much my first wooden ship build so I'm climbing a steep learning curve. This hull was a golden brown acrylic base followed by AK wood enamel wash that I rubbed out after it dried. The only thing I've really followed so far from the original instructions is the colored triangle decoration. It was an exercise in patience. The only way I was able to get decent detail was to use thinned acrylic and a pen and nib, which worked fine. Probably will not do that level of detail anytime soon lol. I'll have to check out the Ertl version, didn't know they had one!

Exactly the way I had to do the decorative triangles! I went through more than a couple of Sharpie X-fine point pens to outline, then fill in with Testors enamel, applied with those girly eye-liner things! haha They worked fantastic, believe it or not! I'll never be without a package of them again! And they're disposable. Just like you, the only thing I followed on the instructions was the paint job, for the most part. Then, I piled on as much rigging as I could, using Beautiful Blocks & a combo of Syren Ships rope plus the most realistic & to-scale thread as I could find. It wound up looking pretty darn good.
Rick1011

Give Dexter a hug from me - a cute dog - he is looking like he is very intelligent

@swlusk what a spectacular job, I am looking down the barrel at this one presently, and would appreciate a bit more info on how you masked and painted the triangles.
Thanks

Greetings all,
So far, things are going well with my first ever larger scale build. The Hull glued together relatively nicely, with a few deck warps that required some attention. I'm taking my time on the detail painting, but so far it's a blast. Mostly sticking with the recommended color scheme with some slight modifications. I went a little more artistic with the "Golden Hind " Stern portrait. Probably unnecessary, but I thought it would be fun. I've never "weathered" any model to date, it's a new concept for me but thus far, it's been fun. Any suggestions on weathering or washing are always welcome. Also torn on whether or not to paint the waterline, I know it's probably historically accurate, but I really like the look of natural wood. Does anyone leave that detail of any of their builds?
Anyway, looking forward to sifting through the build forums and posting my progress.

View attachment 366995

View attachment 366996

View attachment 366997
Hallo @swlusk
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Greetings all,
So far, things are going well with my first ever larger scale build. The Hull glued together relatively nicely, with a few deck warps that required some attention. I'm taking my time on the detail painting, but so far it's a blast. Mostly sticking with the recommended color scheme with some slight modifications. I went a little more artistic with the "Golden Hind " Stern portrait. Probably unnecessary, but I thought it would be fun. I've never "weathered" any model to date, it's a new concept for me but thus far, it's been fun. Any suggestions on weathering or washing are always welcome. Also torn on whether or not to paint the waterline, I know it's probably historically accurate, but I really like the look of natural wood. Does anyone leave that detail of any of their builds?
Anyway, looking forward to sifting through the build forums and posting my progress.

View attachment 366995

View attachment 366996

View attachment 366997
The stern Hind mural channels the inner Bob Ross. Do I detect a cloud? A happy cloud. Right. Over. There.
Excellent work- looking forward to more progress!

Back