Ahoy from Spearfish, SD

Oh, my God. :greetings-waveyellow:

As a brand new member, I reviewed the Modelers Gallery, Donnie's work on the Trinidad, and his Turbocad illustration of sail rigging. I am a modeler off-and-on for 40 years, and just removed Billing's Cutty model #459 from display shelf after 30 years to complete running rigging. Yikes !!! Have completed Mantua's Constitution, and nearing installation of masts on Mamoli's Royal Louis with Mamoli HMS Victory still in box. Pics to follow.

What struck me most was the detail that Donnie and some other modelers do. They add sails in their folded position!!!! I always believed deployed sails distracted from the model's details of the amazing spider-web of intricate rigging. But, not so with Donnie's approach to modeling. His approach is truly 'museum grade', a term expressed by Frank Mastini, author of Ship Modeling Simplified, in chats with him back in the late 70's. I fear this dear man and modeler-friend may no longer be with us.

To Donnie and other modelers who have the patience, you have reached the height of the modeler's universe and achieved the master level of creation. Well done...Jerry

Welcome aboard Jerry. I have the Royal Louis and have not started it yet. Would love to see how yours looks and the number of hours you spent in construction.
This is a great site and well organized. Hope you enjoy the stay here. Many great people that are always ready to help.

Welcome Jerry.......Nice you're here. Yes there are many skilled modelers on these pages...fun to watch and fun to participate.

Rob

Jerry said:
Oh, my God. :greetings-waveyellow:

As a brand new member, I reviewed the Modelers Gallery, Donnie's work on the Trinidad, and his Turbocad illustration of sail rigging. I am a modeler off-and-on for 40 years, and just removed Billing's Cutty model #459 from display shelf after 30 years to complete running rigging. Yikes !!! Have completed Mantua's Constitution, and nearing installation of masts on Mamoli's Royal Louis with Mamoli HMS Victory still in box. Pics to follow.

What struck me most was the detail that Donnie and some other modelers do. They add sails in their folded position!!!! I always believed deployed sails distracted from the model's details of the amazing spider-web of intricate rigging. But, not so with Donnie's approach to modeling. His approach is truly 'museum grade', a term expressed by Frank Mastini, author of Ship Modeling Simplified, in chats with him back in the late 70's. I fear this dear man and modeler-friend may no longer be with us.

To Donnie and other modelers who have the patience, you have reached the height of the modeler's universe and achieved the master level of creation. Well done...Jerry

Jerry,
welcome !

Even though I take your compliments with great humility - I assure you that there are modelers that I must look up to. The main point is that all of us simply enjoy our hobby and we love to talk about what we do. (mistakes and all).

There is NO bad ship - just a bad day at sea !!!!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Gary, I do not count the hours, for if I did, I fear I would have to be locked away in the hold in disbelief :text-woo:
Besides, I build in spurts, so a model will take 5 to 7 years to complete if I am lucky. I am also an author in my wonderful retirement years, so time must be shared.

I'll take photos in the next few weeks and send images of the Royal...a truly beautiful model with lots of American history.

Your selection of models is awesome. La Soleil, Sovereign, Ameriigo, and Royal are simply stunning.

Later, my new friends...Jerry

Back