Accessories/Upscale Kits Aftermarket naval guns parts to upscale, Part 1/3

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

1682810586190.jpeg
* there is no copyright on any images in this review
Let's face it...How many of us have been disappointed with the cannons supplied in the kits? Personally, I found that manufacturers don't pay enough attention to cannon details. Often, the carriages are out of scale and made from cast metal. Barrels are poorly designed and don't represent the correct era. The rigging materials are not supplied..., there could be more reasons why they don't look good to you. In general, they still can be used but...If we want something more to scale and more authentic, we want to look for the upgrade. ;)

Part 1
Greeting all, it's been a while since I made a kit review, and today I have a chance to present you the upscale naval cannons sets. That's right, those are not typical kits, they come in sets and can be used interchangeably which gives more usability and flexibility over traditional kits.

IMG_2751.JPEG

Because it is not a traditional kit review, it makes me scratch my head, how should I organize this review? Frankly, I still don't know...but enough intrigues, let's begin.

-Packaging-
To get started, the image below will help to identify most of the parts the British naval gun is made of. I have mentioned the Brit (English) style because the French (Continental) naval guns are different. The major difference is how both countries breech the guns. The French passed the breeching rope thru the carriage, while the Brit tied the breeching rope around barell's button.

cannon.JPG

Wow, there are so many parts, but don't worry remember them. Save this image handy and use it when required. The good news is that now, with those mini-kits we can employ most of those parts on our models, including rigging.

-The sets: Barrels

What are those sets? Each set contained parts to make a complete cannon. Set of CNC-turned brass barrels, Set of pearwood (yea, you hear it right - pearwood) carriage parts, and set of PE parts. For rigging, there will be sets of blocks and rigging ropes. There are 5 distinct and diffident sizes of barrels that dictate the size of the entire cannon. The sizes are 50.0mm (the largest), 45.00mm, 40.00mm, 35.00mm, and 30.00mm (the smallest).

600_3844.jpg

Each size comes with 4 barrels in the bag. Also, accompanied by the barrels, you will find a piece of wire to make a trunnion (don't know what the heck it is, look up at the image), There is more than enough for all 4 barrels.
Let's check them in more detail starting with the largest size 50.0mm. I like the style and how they turned out.

600_3825.jpg
600_3827.jpg

...and 45.0mm barrels. They are a bit different pattern, but really handsome-looking barrels. BTW, the trunnion holes are drilled below the centerline (yea!!) in all barrel sizes.

600_3817.jpg
600_3819.jpg
600_3823.jpg 600_3824.jpg

...and 40.0mm, and a bit different pattern
600_3833.jpg
600_3834.jpg

the next one is 35.0mm barrels
600_3830.jpg
600_3831.jpg

the last one is the smallest - 30.0mm
600_3838.jpg
600_3843.jpg

All barrels are made from brass and turned on a lathe using CNC technology. The trunnion hole was drilled below the centerline and the reinforcement rings complete the barrel patterns. For the most part, I am happy with how they look, at the same time, the pattern could be improved specifically at the muzzle and breeching\button parts. If you own a metal lathe, you can modify barrels in a way you like them.

1682793768513.jpeg

Barrels review verdict: I will give Gold StarGold StarGold StarGold Star (out of 5 stars)

-The sets: Carriages

The carriage sets also come in a plastic bag with all parts required to make 4 complete carriages for all 5 different sizes (same as barrels). All parts a Pink Pearwood boards of different sicknesses free of knots and imperfections. Parts are Laser-cut and easily separated with a sharp hobby knife. Let's see those in detail (thanks to Macro).

1682794408914.jpeg

Each set included two boards: the thicker board contained both Hind, and Fore axletrees, Fore and Hind tracks (wheels), and Quoin imitation. The thinner board is presented with brackets (sides), a transom, and a bolster. Because carriages sets are absolutely the same, just different sizes, I will show only some but will give details in macro images so you will have an idea of their quality.

600_3855.jpg
600_3850.jpg

With a first look, I can see some vivid differences from other manufacturers. Premade holes for Gun Tackle rings and the hole for the Breeching ringbolt. Also, tracks are represented with bolt imitations. The laser marks on axletrees are the guidelines to position brackets, and transom marks are the fairing lines. Below are some details and macro images.
600_3858.jpg
600_3866.jpg
600_3864.jpg
600_3865.jpg

The board from the back
600_3857.jpg

In my opinion, the carriage sets are exactly what Dr. prescribes. The pearwood will nicely fit into most kits' interior and with a bit of oil, will give a nice warm color. All parts fit well and require some charr removal (if desired). Axletree ends requires rounding so the tracks can be fitted. The entire assembly looks great. As an improvement, I would love to have a laser line dividing carriage brackets into two parts, shouldn't be a major redo, IMHO.

Carriage review verdict: I will give Gold StarGold StarGold StarGold StarGold Star (out of 5 stars)

PE parts next stay tuned ...

-The sets: PE parts

Alright, until now we have a barrel and carriage, what else we are missing? Those of you who ever assembled plastic models know well how the PE upscale kit\set could make your model top-notch. Here, is no exception! The PE sets will contain all the parts necessary to complement your cannon, and get it ready for rigging.
Each of the PE sets is designed to complement the carriage of the same size, e.g. for a 45.0mm carriage set, it is recommended PE set for 45.0mm. All sets come in a single fret 0.3mm thick and are divided into 4 squares: each square has parts for one cannon. Here you will find a set of Capsquare brackets with Capsquare Eyebolt, and Capsquare Joint bolt (all cannon part names are in the image at the beginning). Various eyebolts to fit the Train Tackle and Gun Tackle loops, Breeching ringbolts, tackle hooks, and...you will never guess, the barrel emblem of Royal George.
* at the moment of writing only a 50.0mm PE fret has a set of Linch Pins. I am hoping they will add this important detail to the rest of the sets.

Now, we will take a virtual tour to look at what's inside the PE frets. The first 50.0mm fret,
1682804214233.jpeg

The 45mm PE set, looks like the 50mm, but a bit smaller and doesn't have Linchpins
1682801855403.jpeg

Check out the relative size using the ruler.
1682802107624.jpeg

All PE frets have the same number of parts smaller to fit the cannon sizes. Let's take a look at close-up photos.
1682802022819.jpeg

Here is the Royal George emblem, for sure it will dress up any barrel. If you have read the first part where we review the cannon barrels, one of the images will show the barrels with the emblem soldered.
1682803055162.jpeg

1682804605924.jpeg

For the most part, I have to admit, I am mostly satisfied with PE sets. I like the crispiness of the parts, and how they look in the model. I love the emblem, it dress-up the barrel and adds to the entire cannon appearance. What I would improve: The eyebolt pin should be smaller in size. Because it is not round like a wire, you would need to drill a much bigger hole to fit it in the carriages. Also, I would like linchpins for smaller PE sets.

PE frets review verdict: I will give Gold Star Gold Star Gold Star Gold Star (out of 5 stars)

-The sets: Conclusion
Here we come to the end of our naval cannon sets review. It is great to know that such sets are available at our disposal, I like the idea of selling those sets individually. If you need to upgrade the entire cannon, you have the option to acquire all three sets. If you need just barrels and are happy with your carriages, no problem what size should fit your model best? Happy with your barrels and carriages but still would like to add more details, here is the PE sets, I am confident the PE set will make the job done! Here is more positive news: I found that a 40.0\45.0mm PE set might better fit (for your taste) your cannon sets. The Royal George monogram will beautify plain barrels!
Here are a few images (I am going ahead of the game) to show up what all 3 sets can produce. The brass interpretation is made entirely from parts included in the sets, while the blackened version is my vision where I use mostly parts from the sets and added more details. Also, I tested all parts with blackened solution, to make sure you can blacken them as well. You will most likely make your personal touch, and we would be happy to see those images.

These are the smallest sizes: 30.0 and 35.0mm complete cannons from the sets we have just reviewed.
1682807593474.jpeg

Complete sets verdict: I will give Gold Star Gold Star Gold Star Gold Star Because two sets scored 4 starts, I cannot give 5. However, I can assure, you will be happy to work with those sets, and I am sure your cannons will look much better than the ones supplied in the kits, for sure!! Last, but not least word...you can purchase the sets we revied at the links below.

Oh...almost forget, don't go away for long. In the next posts, we will make all those cannons using all the sets.
Until then, so long, and thank you! :)

1682809337527.jpeg

Back