A how to question

I've made this Elm pumps. It went OK except for the pin that holds the handle on. If I just cut it off short, it falls out. I've already blackened it(as well as that went)so soldering is out. I suppose I could just glue it but then the handle would be stuck in one spot. Am I trying to do too much in trying to keep it working? Is there a method for finishing a joint like this that I've missed? There is a red arrow pointing at the joint I'm concerned with. Sorry for the quality of the picture but I can't seem to get it focused any better. (actually I left it blurry so you couldn't see what a crummy job I did on the pump:):))

DSC04528.JPG

I've made this Elm pumps. It went OK except for the pin that holds the handle on. If I just cut it off short, it falls out. I've already blackened it(as well as that went)so soldering is out. I suppose I could just glue it but then the handle would be stuck in one spot. Am I trying to do too much in trying to keep it working? Is there a method for finishing a joint like this that I've missed? There is a red arrow pointing at the joint I'm concerned with. Sorry for the quality of the picture but I can't seem to get it focused any better. (actually I left it blurry so you couldn't see what a crummy job I did on the pump:):))

View attachment 300910
What is the diameter of the wire?

View attachment 300910

G'day Don, is it possible to just put a dab of CA glue on each side, should be enough to hold it in position,

Best regards John,

I was just afraid the CA would wick into the joint and stop it from working. I guess I'll stop worrying about that and just glue it up.

If you use a toothpick to apply the CA glue on one or both of the outer joints, and use the thicker type of CA glue (the medium one), it won't wick along the pin to the center joint. The pump will work just fine.

I tried medium CA (BobSmith) and it wicked in so the handle is fixed now. I'll live with it. There's no water in the bilge so I can't test it anyway:):)

This looks like the Elm Tree Pump that goes on the Blandford Cross section - is this correct?

I fully understand - as - I get caught up in if I want things to have a "working element" to it. I sometimes go through the trouble and hours of getting a pump, wheel house, or what ever to function as if it were real - then - after it is all said and done, then I regret having put that much work into something that probably at some point it either did not matter or I will forget about it. However, I also understand the "desire" to make things right as you will have it settled in your mind.
Ok, so much about the lesson in psychology. sorry - if it were me, I think I would just glue it in one position.

We were typing at the same time. It's my scratch Discovery. I copied the Elm pumps(more or less) from Goodwin's "English Man of War"

My approach would be to find the next larger size wire say 18 or 1 gauge for a tighter fit,

My approach would be to find the next larger size wire say 18 or 1 gauge for a tighter fit,
Well that would just be too logical:):). Years ago I bought a complete set of numbered and lettered drill bits so I would be able to "sneak up" on any hole and get a precise fit. Never thought of it this time. Getting old. Great idea!

View attachment 300910
1. You can coat the pin and hole in bees wax. It will provide enough friction to keep the pin in for the short term.
2. The wax will harden with time and secure the pin until someone breaks the bond. I do it all the time.
3. It sometimes helps to dilute the beeswax with a little PAINT THINNER (don't use turpentine it does not dilute wax very well).

Back