5” disc sanders

I am researching 5” disc sanders and have narrowed it down to two models.
The Proxxon TG 125/E and the Micro-Mark variable speed sander. The problem I’m having is that the Proxxon is about twice the price of the Micro-Mark.
I have two questions for the group.
1. Is the Proxxon really that much better?
2. How nesessary / useful is the variable speed function?
Thanks for your usual honest opinions.

I had a fixed speed sander and gave it to my son. I love the variable speed of the Proxxon. Much better control. That said I also heard about a variable speed sander that’s much less expensive. I think it was sold in the US at Menards.
Thank you sir! The one at Menards for 45.00 looks exactly like the one Micro-Mark sells for 139.00… only problem is Menards won’t ship it to California… :mad:

I am usings Lidl Parside disk sander for some years and this cheap rpm controlable disk sander is pretty good.
Don t know if Lidl US is selling these parkside tools also
View attachment 327061
Thanks Maarten.
unfortunately it looks like the Parkside brand is only sold in Europe. Our Lidl stores seems to only be the groceries.

Thank you sir! The one at Menards for 45.00 looks exactly like the one Micro-Mark sells for 139.00… only problem is Menards won’t ship it to California… :mad:
I managed a work around for buying the PERFORMAX 5” sander from Menards. (By the way it really is the same unit as sold by Micromark for three times the price. both sites even use the same picture and description…). By having it shipped to a friend in Nevada.
C614654C-1A08-433B-8EFC-3DD685ABB657.png

Glad it worked out for you. Not shipping to California? Home Depot lobby must be pretty strong there ROTF.
Good point! But really it’s about California’s Proposition 65 which makes vendors declare that, “blah blah blah cancer causing chemicals known the the state of California, blah blah blah…” well, pretty much everything on earth is known to the state to cause cancer so many stores just avoid doing business here. Ok, I’m done ranting. :rolleyes:

Silly rules some states and countries have make me laugh, like going all electric vehicles when they are still saying don't charge your car or truck as we don't have the power to keep grid up and running in summer.

I just read article in West Virginia, where a couple from DC area EV ran out of charge on busy trucking highway, and local coal miners help push it off highway and up to local charging station located inside the coal mine property. Having to charge an EV at a coal mine, what a parody.

i would look in local tool dealers, big box home improvement stores and Ebay

i have one like this in my shop that i have been using for years
i paid around 75 bucks for it

disk sander.JPG

or you can pay over 3X the amount and buy this $325.00 plus shipping really!

by sander.JPG

actully for almost $100.00 less you can buy a full blown tool with a 1 horse power motor and a 12 inch disk compared to a 5 inch Byrens

sand2.JPG

or if space is an issue here is one 10X cheaper

disks1.JPG

it is true cheap tool do not last as long or are just generally poor overall quality but for model work most will work just fine

Last edited:
I have the proxxon disk sander. It’s a great tool for small parts. However, there are many times on my modeling work when I wish the disk and table were bigger. I also found that I needed to add an extension to the miter device because the gap between the disk and the miter is too large. The miter is made out of plastic and the pivot point is very easy to break.

Last edited:
I just bought the "inexpensive but decent" 5" disc sander from menards. It has a nice, flat platen with no wobble. The motor has good power even when pushing / sanding aggressively against the disc. Also, a nice feature is the ability to mount it upright with the included clamp.
Plus, it's always nice to have new tools!!
Well worth the $45.00

I just bought the "inexpensive but decent" 5" disc sander from menards. It has a nice, flat platen with no wobble. The motor has good power even when pushing / sanding aggressively against the disc. Also, a nice feature is the ability to mount it upright with the included clamp.
Plus, it's always nice to have new tools!!
Well worth the $45.00
Thanks! I ordered this one from Menards and I’m happy to learn it’s not a waste of money. I’ll report back once I get it…

Estoy investigando lijadoras de disco de 5” y las he reducido a dos modelos.
La Proxxon TG 125/E y la lijadora de velocidad variable Micro-Mark. El problema que tengo es que el Proxxon cuesta aproximadamente el doble del precio del Micro-Mark.
Tengo dos preguntas para el grupo.
1. ¿Es el Proxxon realmente mucho mejor?
2. ¿Qué tan necesaria/útil es la función de velocidad variable?
Gracias por sus opiniones honestas habituales.
Proxxon son buenas herramientas en general. Para mi el único defecto que tienen son los cojinetes que no son de la calidad que se podría esperar

Proxxon is a good tool in general. For me, the only defect they have is the bearings, which are not of the quality that could be expected.

Silly rules some states and countries have make me laugh, like going all electric vehicles when they are still saying don't charge your car or truck as we don't have the power to keep grid up and running in summer.

I just read article in West Virginia, where a couple from DC area EV ran out of charge on busy trucking highway, and local coal miners help push it off highway and up to local charging station located inside the coal mine property. Having to charge an EV at a coal mine, what a parody.
I've asked that question (where's all the electric gonna come from to re-charge?) from day one of the electric vehicle.

I know it’s painful but ….. build your own. It’s simple and you can adapt or suit what you need. Plenty of articles on how. Those little gaps at disc face to table on manufactured items you need to make good. You are stuck with discs unless you can perfectly attach to (some will use wooden board and glue) I have the large proxxon for real meaty bite offs. Rest : shooting board, sanding board, various hand made items and a DIY sanding disc / belt / bobbin. I use a variable mini drill for most sanding. If you have the money Burnes tools are good (I have there saw and use it for most of my pre dimensioning cuts. Then shooting blocks / sanding. Very time consuming but the end result in my opinion is worth it. These cheap machines be careful of wobble, noise and accuracy. Of course : sanding makes dust - so install some kind of pick up or your lungs / nose might not enjoy the build too.

I know it’s painful but ….. build your own. It’s simple and you can adapt or suit what you need. Plenty of articles on how. Those little gaps at disc face to table on manufactured items you need to make good. You are stuck with discs unless you can perfectly attach to (some will use wooden board and glue) I have the large proxxon for real meaty bite offs. Rest : shooting board, sanding board, various hand made items and a DIY sanding disc / belt / bobbin. I use a variable mini drill for most sanding. If you have the money Burnes tools are good (I have there saw and use it for most of my pre dimensioning cuts. Then shooting blocks / sanding. Very time consuming but the end result in my opinion is worth it. These cheap machines be careful of wobble, noise and accuracy. Of course : sanding makes dust - so install some kind of pick up or your lungs / nose might not enjoy the build too.
The Parkside is quiet & with an extractor port plus a bench clamp. I fitted a negative clearance top to the table. The only pain is changing the disc as the table has to be undone.

Newer technology always takes a while to get things sorted out. Lets please not go backwards.
I wonder how many people complained about Model T's having to be pushed to a horseshoe blacksmith shop.

I recently purchased the Jim Byrnes and it has exceeded my expectations.

You won’t be disappointed with any of Jim’s products. I have three of his tools and am never disappointed when using them.
They may be considered pricey by some however, I’ve always believed you get what you pay for.
I am fortunate that I live only 30 miles from where they are made so shipping isn’t an issue for me :)

Back