3d printer software

can someone reccomend the best cad and slicer software for my 3d resin printer. i am going to unpack it and get started soon and would appreciate all the help i can get as i am a complete newbie to this new and kind of intimidating aspect of modeling.

You and I are in the same boat it seems.

I bought a 3D resin unit which came with software.

Now I am spending as much for Washer and curing unit and finding a way to clean and recycle washing fluid.

I will PM you later

I have a filament printer but I believe the software is the same. I use Tinkercad for simple 3D designs and Autodesk Fusion 360 for more complex designs. Both are free for hobby use. For slicing I use Cura which is pretty much the standard…

Last edited:
you should have checked the system requirements of the printer before buying it. ran into a similar situation with a customer once who had to do an online gas course to find out that his new mac laptop is not supported so i had to setup his mother's windows tower for him to do the course on it.

thanks for the info guys. i will keep chugging along . just found out that most of the software ( including the one that came with the printer) doesnt work with a chromebook. aaaahrg.
Tinkercad should work as it’s web based through your browser of choice. But slicing may be an issue if you can’t find a web based alternative.

Another excellent slicer software worth considering is Chitubox.

Some 3D-printers require their own proprietary software which is matched to their machines and resins. For example, Formlabs 3D printers use a proprietary slicer called "PreForm". PreForm is not designed to work with any other printers. The software is free to download.

Typical CAD and slicer software are very complex programs requiring robust computing and graphics power. Generally, you need a powerful laptop or desktop to run the software using a supported operating system.

And yes, the actual printing is just one part of the production process. Cleaning the models in a washing fluid, safe waste-washing fluid disposal, and post-curing are other parts of that process. Cleaning and post-curing can be done using mechanical devices made just for those purposes. And all of the parts of the production process can be costly.

Lychee is another very good slicer which I think has now been updated to cover both filament and resin printing. However I personally just use Cura and Chitubox respectively, as they do a perfectly good job and I now know how to make them work for me.

There are several free CAD programmes around: Fusion 360, FreeCAD, SolidEdge,LibreCAD. What I always say is this: Tinkercad is an excellent starting point, it is pretty intuitive and you'll be producing printables in no time at all. But while its' surprising just what you can do with it, it's not as powerful as a proper CAD package and sooner or later though you will find you need something better. For me, it was when I needed to work with splines and be very precise dimensionally. This is a very important junction, because whatever software you choose, free or paid, you are going to have to invest a great deal of time to learn it and you may find (like me) that this makes you reluctant to learn another package. My advice is download all of those I've mentioned and make the same very simple object in each, then choose which one you liked most.

There is also another choice to be made, -ish: there are graphic 3D apps like Blender, DAZ3D, Meshmixer, with which you also create printables but using a more artistic (rather than engineering) approach. I can't really talk to these as I'm poor in this area.

Where you can afford it, if you're using resin I'd recommend getting a wash'n'cure type machine straight away. It just makes the whole process much less messy. It's still a wet process best done in a garage or similar (in my view). I actually use two wash tubs: one for a first wash, which gets rid of 99% of the wet surplus resin, and a second tub to rinse off the 99% clean items. I found that I got a better finish this way, as the IPA gets dirty quickly and doesn't quite leave items clean. Once the dirty IPA becomes too dirty for my liking, I clean that tub out, making the rinse tub the first wash and so on.

To be honest I haven't found a decent way to dispose of used IPA. Last summer I tried recycling it by dispensing it into clear bottles and leaving it in the sunlight for the resin particles to cure. That kind of worked but I had to filter the residual IPA and this was never as clean as new. I concluded that it just wasn't worth the effort, so this year I am experimenting with allowing the IPA to evaporate away in the sunlight, so that all I'm left with is a 75% empty bottle of cured resin, which I can treat as safe garbage. If that doesn't work I'll end up taking all the dirty bottles to our local recycling tip, where I can pour it into the huge paint tin or similar. I'd be very interested in better options if anyone has them.

As Steve says, 3D printing can become expensive. Resin more so than filament.

Back