Completed models showcase 1847 Danube Paddle Steamer - completed model

I purchased a semi-complete Sovereign Models (now long out of business) model on Ebay about 20 years ago. At a small country house in Ulster County, New York, I worked on it very occasionally when my wife and I were upstate from Park Slope, Brooklyn on several weekends each year. The model is now housed in our kitchen/dining area in a plexiglass case I bought from an internet advertiser. The stand is made from two black plastic disks, also purchased via internet, and two lamp finials (ditto) with some brass pieces I had in my scrap box and bent up on their sides. Drilling perpendicular holes in the stanchions on the deck where the steering wheel is located was the most difficult and fiddly part of the construction. I have only a Dremel and hand tools. The kit was missing one of the escutcheons so a fine modeler, with whom I became friendly Albert Blevins (deceased) suggested that I simply photocopy what I had, cut the prints to size, and substitute the prints for the actual escutcheons, which what I did. I also added "hair" to the masthead and colored it rather than simply painting it white. The flags are from the internet with reversed sides so they would look more like what and actual flag would look like. They are appropriate for the flags at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. The model is four feet long and is the first ship model I ever attempted. I did produce model railroad models for years before that. I am now on to building a Billings Boat African Queen when I get upstate. I am afraid to try building as model with a double planked hull. If I could consult with someone in person the Hudson Valley or New York City area, I would give it a try. Anyway, I hope this is of interest to fellow SOSers.

whole ship.jpg

sovereign box art.jpg

Paddle box.jpg

side view stern of paddle wheeler.jpg

Paddle wheeler acknowledgement.jpg

top view front third paddle wheeler.jpg

top view stern of paddle wheeler.jpg

Sovreign models first page.jpg

Wow! What a beautiful model! And a very interesting subject. I find the occasional model built from long defunct kit makers that occasionally turn up and are constructed give a look into times past like an unearthed time capsule. They are very appealing, as is your example.

Pete

Wow! What a beautiful model! And a very interesting subject. I find the occasional model built from long defunct kit makers that occasionally turn up and are constructed give a look into times past like an unearthed time capsule. They are very appealing, as is your example.

Pete
Much appreciated Pete!

top view middle of paddle wheeler.jpgThank you both Bryian and Alf. Here is a top view of the center section of the ship that I meant to post originally. The turnbuckles are O Gauge and I soldered the brass wire at each end of them so that the centers are hollow with the wire protruding slightly, much like the real ones. I used decals for the stripes around the smokestack. Overall, this was a great deal of fun to complete.

View attachment 377718Thank you both Bryian and Alf. Here is a top view of the center section of the ship that I meant to post originally. The turnbuckles are O Gauge and I soldered the brass wire at each end of them so that the centers are hollow with the wire protruding slightly, much like the real ones. I used decals for the stripes around the smokestack. Overall, this was a great deal of fun to complete.
Har! Viking River Cruises (daily morning TV commercials here locally in Eastern Iowa) great-great grandfather.

I purchased a semi-complete Sovereign Models (now long out of business) model on Ebay about 20 years ago. At a small country house in Ulster County, New York, I worked on it very occasionally when my wife and I were upstate from Park Slope, Brooklyn on several weekends each year. The model is now housed in our kitchen/dining area in a plexiglass case I bought from an internet advertiser. The stand is made from two black plastic disks, also purchased via internet, and two lamp finials (ditto) with some brass pieces I had in my scrap box and bent up on their sides. Drilling perpendicular holes in the stanchions on the deck where the steering wheel is located was the most difficult and fiddly part of the construction. I have only a Dremel and hand tools. The kit was missing one of the escutcheons so a fine modeler, with whom I became friendly Albert Blevins (deceased) suggested that I simply photocopy what I had, cut the prints to size, and substitute the prints for the actual escutcheons, which what I did. I also added "hair" to the masthead and colored it rather than simply painting it white. The flags are from the internet with reversed sides so they would look more like what and actual flag would look like. They are appropriate for the flags at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. The model is four feet long and is the first ship model I ever attempted. I did produce model railroad models for years before that. I am now on to building a Billings Boat African Queen when I get upstate. I am afraid to try building as model with a double planked hull. If I could consult with someone in person the Hudson Valley or New York City area, I would give it a try. Anyway, I hope this is of interest to fellow SOSers.

View attachment 377078

View attachment 377079

View attachment 377080

View attachment 377081

View attachment 377082

View attachment 377083

View attachment 377084

View attachment 377087
Always nice to see another paddle steamer passing by. You made a beautiful completion of your eBay purchase. She is looking very nice.
Regards, Peter

I know we have several forum members who are from your part of town, maybe a few will see this post and connect with you for help.

But remember, if you start a build log and show your progress and any questions or problems, the great folks here from around the world will always try to help and comment to set you on the path forward. I have learned a lot and and gotten great advise on ways to improve my skills from these folks.

Always nice to see another paddle steamer passing by. You made a beautiful completion of your eBay purchase. She is looking very nice.
Regards, Peter
Thank you. What has surprised me is the dearth of side wheel paddle ships available as kits and how few seem to show up on SOS. I know there is one kit available now (Mont Washington?)
That I may attempt down the road. I must say that this forum has one of the nicest groups of participants that exist on the web!

Back