1815 USS Constitution

I’m trying to build the USS Constitution of February 1815. I have many sources covering most of the ship except the stern. I can find nothing about the configuration of the stern gun ports nor any mention of the actual types and locations of any decorations from the period. Any help/ sources would be greatly appreciated.

did you take already a look at all these documents ?

There f.e. alöso photos of a contemporary model from the year 1812 or 1814 (NH54009)

I think it is this model

another interesting page is this one

I know Bainbridge cut three gun ports in the stern that "may or may not be" the three currently in her stern. Stewart made many changes but poorly documented such. I know all I need to do is to make a decision, form a stern, finish my model, and a document or letter replete with a drawing of the stern will be found and published.

Constitution's transom's true appearance is very tough to pin down. Part of the problem is lack of surviving documentation, part is that Constitution's appearance changed frequently, and part of the problem is that the transom was nearly destroyed in her battle with Java. Java was able to stern rake Constitution during the battle - twice. Since the damage was severe, and initial repairs were made at sea, her rebuilt transom probably looked different than her pre-Java fight transom. What changed and how much changed is not known with any certainty. Some have suggested that the number of windows changed during repairs either at sea or in repairs in port following this battle.

The best references for her War of 1812 fight with Guerriere appearance are most likely the "Hull Model" and the Corne paintings - photos of each below. Her pre- and post-Java battle appearance is probably a bit different for reasons stated above.

1. The "Hull Model" was built by Constitution's crew and presented to Captain Isaac Hull as a gift. Her crew and captain obviously knew what the ship looked like and the model was built according to that knowledge. The model survives and is preserved at the Peabody Essex Museum in Massachusetts. The model depicts the ship with 6 transom windows. The model is significant enough to be used by the Navy as a source to determine Constitution's rigging configuration during a recent refit. Source:

2. The Corne paintings were made by artist Michel Felice Corne, commissioned to create a series of 4 paintings to commemorate her battle with Guerriere shortly after she reached port. The artist was given considerable access to the ship and the work supervised by the ship's purser, Thomas Chew. Corne made detailed notes in preparation for making the paintings. The paintings may be the best references for the ship's coloring and appearance during that fight. Note that at that time, Corne recorded that she had a yellow ochre gun stripe, not white. But some of the decorations are recorded as being white. The transom's window framing is red as are the inner sides of the gun ports. Corne painted the ship with 5 transom windows. Like the "Hull Model", all 4 paintings are at the Peabody Essex Museum.

Corne, or a student of his, made another painting of Constitution a short while later. That painting was featured on a US stamp and also appears below. Again, we see a yellow ochre gun stripe, not white, and red window framing.

Although the 15-star, 15-stripe US flag was the official US flag at the time, lasting until 1818, the Corne Guerriere paintings show the ship with an unofficial 16-star, 15-stripe flag with stars in three rows, 5-6-5. The latter Corne painting shows an unofficial 17-star, 15-stripe flag, with stars in three rows, 5-7-5. (Tennessee became the 16th state in 1796, Ohio became the 17th state in 1803, Louisiana the 18th state in 1818.)

Note that neither the "Hull Model" nor the Corne paintings show Constitution's name on her transom. Also note that the "Hull Model" shows green inner bulkheads, fife rails, and hatch and capstan trim, and the Corne paintings show the boat over the transom as also green.

Neither the "Hull Model" nor the Corne paintings show any gun ports cut through the transom. As you wrote, that modification came later, under Bainbridge.

The classic Revell 1/96 scale kit's transom is based on the "Hull Model".

Hope this helps.

Hull Model new1.JPG

Hull Model new12.JPG

Hull Model new26.JPG

L1080733.JPG

L1080745.JPG

Michel Felice Corné 1812 Constitution vs Guerriere - commissioned by captain Hull and supervis...JPG

single3.small.jpg

Hull Model new20.JPG

Hull Model new25.JPG

Hull Model new27.JPG

Hull Model new32.JPG

Last edited:
Have you tried "Anatomy of the Ship-The 44 Gun Frigate USS Constitution " OLD ironsides" " by Karl Heinz Marquardt, Naval Institute press , Annapolis MD.
I don't know if it has exactly what you are looking for, but probably the most exhaustive resource around.

Me too! I have a Revell kit languishing in the basement and have hopes of one day using it as a platform for an Admiralty style model, with the deck partially cut away to reveal some structure and the gundeck and details below the spar deck. could be fun and the Revell hull is a very nice place to start. If anyone else beats me to it, please post a build log. Ideas are for free and for sharing.
This thread is a treasure trove of research!

Back