18. Century battelships

We are building a half model of HMS Defence 1763 Where everything on decks will be visible
can anyone tell me what happened to the crew’s tables beside the canons during battle.
we can see ( HMS Victory) the tables hanging in robes but where did the crew put them during battle.

IMG_5920.jpeg

No answer from me, but I've always wondered that myself. I thought it possible they were raised up to the above deck beams, but didn't know if that would interfere with anything.
We have thought of this, but it would maybe interfere with the canon loading gear, and just upright from the ships side would be trouble with the height .

Yes - the hammocks were folded together and stored in the shown nets - as a protection against projectiles from rifles, but they were usually stored there.
All wooden elements, like these tables for the crew, but also interior walls and furniture (from the officers) were removable and transported before the action in lower decks under the waterline.
It was a pure protecion of the crew to be not hurt by wooden splinters when a ball hits the ship - most injuries and died people were caused by wood splinters - so they tried to reduce the wood as much as possible. So during action there were no wooden interior walls along the complete gun decks - also the Admirals and Captains rooms were prepared at this time as gun-decks
This removing of elemnts down into the hold was part of the "Prepare for action"-activities.

Here some photo of the replica frigate Hermione, where you can see parts of the technique, how the walls were fixed, easy to remove segments

IMG_05321.jpg IMG_05191.JPG

IMG_05181.JPG

Interesting project you are working:
so I think you have to decide, if you want to show everything "during or shortly before action" or "normal sailing day"

Why not starting a building log (from actual status) and we can talk and discuss about the project - and it would be highly interesting for all modelers

"Clear for Action and Beat to Quarters"
just found the wording / term used by the british

While that all makes perfect sense, moving cabin walls and all the rest, somehow moving 50 or more tables on a ship like the HMS Victory, with at least one person per table, seems pretty clumsy. But yes, we tend to forget that actual combat on a sailing ship was probably less than 1% of their time onboard.

Thanks for all replies to this. Now we have to make a decision about how to make this visibl.
I think we will make it like a “normal day” with tables and removable panels on the right places.
Here’s some photos of the stove and some barrels.

IMG_5788.jpeg

IMG_5912.jpeg

Yes - the hammocks were folded together and stored in the shown nets - as a protection against projectiles from rifles, but they were usually stored there.
All wooden elements, like these tables for the crew, but also interior walls and furniture (from the officers) were removable and transported before the action in lower decks under the waterline.
It was a pure protecion of the crew to be not hurt by wooden splinters when a ball hits the ship - most injuries and died people were caused by wood splinters - so they tried to reduce the wood as much as possible. So during action there were no wooden interior walls along the complete gun decks - also the Admirals and Captains rooms were prepared at this time as gun-decks
This removing of elemnts down into the hold was part of the "Prepare for action"-activities.

Here some photo of the replica frigate Hermione, where you can see parts of the technique, how the walls were fixed, easy to remove segments

View attachment 424789 View attachment 424788

View attachment 424787

Interesting project you are working:
so I think you have to decide, if you want to show everything "during or shortly before action" or "normal sailing day"

Why not starting a building log (from actual status) and we can talk and discuss about the project - and it would be highly interesting for all modelers
What me now call 'KD fixings'. ;)

In my observations I presumed the tables were hinged against the hull and simply folded up out of the way and tied off.
Yes - but the wooden tables / plates have to be moved down lower than the waterline

Thanks for all replies to this. Now we have to make a decision about how to make this visibl.
I think we will make it like a “normal day” with tables and removable panels on the right places.
Here’s some photos of the stove and some barrels.

View attachment 425074

View attachment 425077
A "normal day" on sea - very good, so you can show several more details.
f.e. the stowed and secured guns, maybe some other gunners are making some trial and training, so you can show both.
chicken caches, to ships-cook is sharpnening his knife or axe. one seaman on the seat of ease
OH - so many ideas ......
BTW very good work on the stove and barrels.
Would be great if you start a building log - in which you could posts from time to time some more photos ..... and present some ideas for this model

Back