1/48 scale 20 gun ship from Modelship Dockyard kit [COMPLETED BUILD]

I was just thinking how fickle we humans are, well me in particular. I had decided that what was needed to complete Scarborough was the addition of the lower deadeyes and chains. I ordered up some deadeyes,( getting lazy in my old age ). I waited the best part of two weeks to receive and fit them only to decide instantly that they didn't work, looking too squashed together and not adding the wow factor I had hoped for, so off they came. 'There's nowt so queer as folk', as they would say up north.
So having repositioned the anchors and doing a bit of touching up of the paintwork I now declare myself happy and His Britannic Majesty’s Ship Scarborough finished. All told about eleven months work and looking back, really quite enjoyable. Although at times in felt anything but enjoyable. A lot of that down to me as I had never previously attempted a PoF Build . A lot has been said already about the very poor and often misleading, if not out right contradictory, instructions and for sure they are bad. But that should not take away from a great kit. I am certain that in the future Modelship Dockyards will do better on that score. What you cannot fault is the quality of the design nor the quality and quantity of wood they provide, over 1,000 individual pieces in the frames alone. Nor could you fault their friendly and generous backup service. If they get their instructions sorted out and perhaps buy in better ancillary parts, ( the quality of the 'brass' photo etch parts was poor and plenty where tiny for the scale. I say 'brass' because its the first photo etch I had real trouble blackening. At a guess I would say the brass mix has a relatively high ferrous content compared to what I have seen in Europe, but I am no expert.
A great kit Modelship Dockyard!

Here are some pics..

View attachment 393565

View attachment 393566
View attachment 393567
View attachment 393568View attachment 393569

View attachment 393570
View attachment 393571
View attachment 393572
View attachment 393573
View attachment 393574
View attachment 393576View attachment 393575
View attachment 393577
View attachment 393578
View attachment 393579
View attachment 393580
View attachment 393581
View attachment 393582
View attachment 393583

The temporary stand is made from a piece of driftwood I found behind the castle, when I cut into it I was surprised to discovered it to be pinstripe mahogany. It will do until I build a case. In the background of one or two pics you can see the start of the little Fifie I got last Christmas, a present from She, who must be obeyed. I am building it from a VM kit and improving it from plans of 'The True Vine' found in 'Sailing Drifters'. My boat, I have provisionally given the name, Si, the gallic for She! I have some photos from the start but doubt if it is worth doing a log, but maybe, I have to think about it. Hope you like the photographs.

Cheers JJ..

View attachment 393584
Good evening Jack. A beautiful rendition of the Scarborough. There is a unique style to your builds which brings out so much wether it’s in the detail, woodwork, paint or rope work. Congratulations on a fine ship. Cheers Grant

Good evening Jack. A beautiful rendition of the Scarborough. There is a unique style to your builds which brings out so much wether it’s in the detail, woodwork, paint or rope work. Congratulations on a fine ship. Cheers Grant
Good morning Grant, thank you for your comments and observations. For me sometimes it is smallest little detail that makes me the happiest, for example here I really like the nuts that hold on the brackets belonging to the elm tree pumps even though you can hardly see them with the naked eye.

elmtree pump.jpg Cheers JJ..
PS. Keep up the good work on the xebec, its the best I have seen.​

Great model.
Here is Mark Myers, RSMA,s, rendition of the South Carolina Indian Chiefs on their visit to the Squirrel in Charleston Harbor in 1733.
View attachment 394980

Hi Cokerre,
For sure that looks like one of the twenty gun ships of the 1719 Est. From what I can gather Anson left Scarborough and took command of her in 1732 and held it until 1735 so would have been captain at this time. Myers has really captured her lines. Thank you for showing it to me. Do you know who owns the original? I know that you can buy prints of his paintings and would be interested in this one.

Thank you Jack.

Hi Jack,
thanks for the comment. I am not sure to which est. the Squirrel belonged. My son owns the original. I have some prints. IF you will send your mailing address to me at cokerre@gmail.com, I will send you one gratis. Just send me some photos of your finished model in return.

Hi Cokerre,
For sure that looks like one of the twenty gun ships of the 1719 Est. From what I can gather Anson left Scarborough and took command of her in 1732 and held it until 1735 so would have been captain at this time. Myers has really captured her lines. Thank you for showing it to me. Do you know who owns the original? I know that you can buy prints of his paintings and would be interested in this one.

Thank you Jack.

Back