Sultana - Colonial Schooner, 1767 - by MS, Scale 1:64

moreplovac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
218
Points
63

Location
Vancouver, BC
The wrongly oriented tiller has been created from scratch; the old one simple broke..

the new one was made out of piece of basswood, shaped and attached to the rudder. A white paint was applied and all installed back to the boat...



IMG_3227.JPG


IMG_3229.JPG IMG_3228.JPG


Then i spent some quality time with deadeyes; i started with 3.5 mm making deadeye assembly out of 0.3mm wire. Several different ways of making usable deaeyes ended up in one approach i think i will use for rest of them. Intention is to build template so i can do repetitive work faster...


IMG_3233.JPG

Sorry the picture is not that sharp..

Testing on the boat 3.5mm size...

IMG_3231.JPG


... and will make another one in 3mm size again and compare. Decisions, decisions.

Happy modeling..
 

moreplovac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
218
Points
63

Location
Vancouver, BC
The work on deadeyes has been completed and all 16 of them have been made and installed.
I have decided to go with 3.5mm size as it appears to be a bit more up to scale. This is example of kit provided and 3.5 mm deadeyes. It looks like that kit supplied deadeues are actually even smaller..


IMG_3271.JPG


So i decided to break deadeyes assembly in few repetitive tasks; the first one was to wrap the wire around the deadeye and twist it two times, cut the excess wire and cut to few cm length...


IMG_3274.JPG


Then i used a small template to twist the wire around the pin with a players and making a loop that will be used to attach a chainplates later on.


IMG_3276.JPG


IMG_3277.JPG


IMG_3275.JPG


IMG_3273.JPG


Then deadeyes were glued to the position, the molding was attached as well and it is now ready for a layer of black paint. Molding have to be cut in length and trimmed to match rest of the molding.


IMG_3279.JPG


IMG_3280.JPG



IMG_3272.JPG


IMG_3278.JPG


Happy modeling...
 

Aginvicta

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
298
Points
93

Location
Moira N.I.
Those new Deadeyes look so much better and about the correct size. You've done a good job on the new Tiller as well, did you put the other one on the wrong way round to catch out unsuspecting Ship's Boys?

Cheers Andy
 

moreplovac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
218
Points
63

Location
Vancouver, BC
did you put the other one on the wrong way round to catch out unsuspecting Ship's Boys?

Yeah, that was the intention :). Imagine level of amuzement for the rest of the crew when ship' boy trying to mount the rudder... without the Internet practical jokes were only way to get some fun those days, probably...
 

Aginvicta

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
298
Points
93

Location
Moira N.I.
Yeah, that was the intention :). Imagine level of amuzement for the rest of the crew when ship' boy trying to mount the rudder... without the Internet practical jokes were only way to get some fun those days, probably...
Like sending new Apprentices to the Stores for a long weight or spare bubbles for a Spirit Level,

Cheers Andy
 

epicdoom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
711
Points
93

Location
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Awesome work I want a fan of solid hull models till I saw this build come together your doing an outstanding job it's quite inspiring to see what can be done with those solid hull kits
 

moreplovac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
218
Points
63

Location
Vancouver, BC
Awesome work I want a fan of solid hull models till I saw this build come together your doing an outstanding job it's quite inspiring to see what can be done with those solid hull kits

Yes, you are right. The funny thing is that even with POB or POF kits someone can add significant amount of wood on it so it almost become a solid hull model..
 
Top