Revell Black Pearl

azog

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
20
Points
13

#41
Following the channels was to get the front all done.
20180429_185936.jpg
I do apologize however, I forgot to take a picture of the figure 8 knot holding down the bow spit. However that knot was very easy due to how the model molded the plastic. The plastuc deck in the front had two holes molded to allow the string to wrape through.
As for the decrotive detail it was very easy and very beautiful to glue on. I have to say on a personal note, I was really excited once I glued the front on due to my childhood memories.
 
Last edited:

azog

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
20
Points
13

#42
The mast however were next and they were a little bit of a headache. Also I did end up painting the mast a light grey color knowing it would contrast well with the dark grey deck and black sails and rope.
20180425_181927.jpg
I did add some of my own details such as the ropes that go around the mast. What I did was glue the end of the string vertical on the mast so it gave me a starting point to start wrapping around. I did however have to buy my own string at hobby lobby due to the model string being so thin. This wasn't hard at all and it gave a nice realism touch to the ship.
20180425_190405.jpg

The next step was to tie all the little ropes to the mast, which the running rigging will be attaching too later on in the model.
20180429_190309.jpg
I have to admit, these were tedious but it worked out really well. I just have to touch up some of the brown paint.
 

Fright

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
106
Points
28

Location
Atlanta, GA
#43
I feel like the further I get into this model the more I fall in love with it. As I am now working on the gun hatches which is a real challenge lets go back 1 week ago when I worked and finished the back of the Pearl.
View attachment 36951
Starting the back one of the first steps was getting all the beautiful golden angels glued on to act as supports for the cabin itself. Surprisingly it was very easy to get these all glued in!
View attachment 36952
The biggest struggle with these angels is how the the back side piece didn't match up with the other hull piece. Because of the not lining up the angel didn't have a full surface to glue on. So I came back to my good old friend Mr.Putty. Sadly you can also see where I messed up. I was sanding up the windows due to their excessive length and didn't know I was sanding the sides of the back window section. Even though its no issue putty can't fix it made me quite upset with myself. View attachment 36953
This time compared to the past I used some green putty hoping glue and paint would hold easier then the white putty. You can also tell I filled in the crack on the back window section with the same putty.
View attachment 36954
Looking at the back all done I am really quite impressed by the look of it. I was worried there would be too much gold and be too shinny but I think it turned out beautifully! The only thing left on the back is to glue the lanterns on but probally won't do that until last due to the lack of need to. But as you can tell in this picture the putty worked perfect. The glue I applied to it is holding the angel in place and the paint sticked flawlessly.
View attachment 36955
Before I glued the last side window piece on I thought I would take a picture. A really cool picture in my opinion!