NANTUCKET LIGHTSHIP - 1:95 scale by LINDBERG

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#21
I sat down and did some work getting my two mushroom anchors together. I found a picture of the actual anchors and noticed that they have four triangular openings on them. I imagine this helped to create less drag when hauling them up. I used a small drill bit and created four openings around the rim of my anchors. They may not be triangular in shape, but at this scale I will make due.
01 14 12 almost primed 071.jpg DSCN5787.JPG
 

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#22
So here's a few pics to update my progress. I added a few 'dings' into my anchors (seeing how they get dragged along the ocean's bottom). I also drilled out the small 'vent'(?) that is attached to the smokestack to add a little more realism to it. I used a couple of pieces of styrene to back the vent to prevent it from breaking off while I drilled. I did some more work on the superstructures that will eventually be lit by led's. I detailed some of the exterior fixtures an walls; I used red transparency film on the inside of the wheelhouse portholes. For all other portholes, I either used a piece of styrene painted flat black to block any light or used a yellow film behind the portholes. I want to give the effect that some cabins are not in use.

The camera sure brings out any imperfections at close range!!! It looks like I'll be going back to correct some of these flaws.

DSCN5797.JPG DSCN5790.JPG DSCN5794.JPG DSCN5793.JPG DSCN5792.JPG DSCN5795.JPG
 

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#23
I did a test run to see if the Pico sized LED light would be bright enough to light my wheelhouse and other cabins. It is so tiny that I was a little apprehensive whether it would produce enough light. It seems to work fine and is not overpowering. I also made a little chart table that will be just inside of the open hatch to prevent too much light from shining out of the hatch.

I also picked up a nice shadow box frame from Michaels for $16 that measures 9"x20"x1.5". I plan to fill it with about 3/4" of Plaster of Paris. After it dries, I will add some acrylic blue paint and then I will be using Vallejo's Water Effects Atlantic Blue gel to give it the effect that the ship is anchored at sea. I will be running the wiring for the lights inside of 1/4" clear tubing. (leftover from my surgeries in 2017).It will run from hull to a 1/4" hole on the back of frame. The AA battery pack and on/off switch fit perfectly on the frame as well.











 
Last edited:

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#24
Very Nice. I did not know that Lindberg made this. This is going to be an impressive project. Good idea about blacking out the interior for the lights. I used Evans Lights on my San Felipe - nice product.
Donnie - Good to hear that about Evans Lights. I'm very happy with him and his products. This kit is going to be my training exercise on wiring lights and creating a diorama base. I stumbled across a 1:60 scale Shrimp Boat by Lindberg on Ebay. I made an offer and bought it for $24 including shipping. I'm planning to use it to build Forest Gump's "Jenny" shrimp boat. I'm looking to find two figures that I can use for Sargeant Dan and Forest. Either 1:58 or 1:64 scale.
 

Donnie

Well-Known Member
Blandford Group Build
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
2,141
Points
113

Location
Madison, MS
#25
VERY nice - I really like the anchors - man, they look so life like. I did a google on that Shrimp Boat - that is going to be awesome project. I can't wait to see that one too. PopcornPopcorn
 

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#26
Slowed down a bit with any progress on my lightship due to Halloween season. My Evergreen tubing finally arrived for my light towers. HaPpY HaLLOWeeN !!! 1964861_10201621395975028_39302035332137650_n.jpg
 

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#27
One more week to go with Halloween at Six Flags. I managed to get some work done on some small detail parts for the superstructures. I also started making my two beacon towers from .219" Evergreen tubing, metal rings, very small strip of balsa wood and some cut-off parts from the original solid towers. *** Nothing has been glued to the deck.
DSCN6036.JPG DSCN6037.JPG DSCN6040.JPG DSCN6035.JPG DSCN6037.JPG
 

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#29
EpicDoom - many thanks ! I also like how a picture can help point out the little flaws in one's work (at least on mine). LOL I can see I'll be going back to do improve on a few details.
 

epicdoom

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Blandford Group Build
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
749
Points
93

Location
Baltimore, Maryland USA
#30
I agree about the Pictures its how I find little errors in my builds. sometimes our perspective isn't a clear as a picture can be especially with todays high quality Digital cameras. I usually take pictures from my S9+ phone but I will be starting to use my cannon camera as I just got it back from the shop.
 

Fright

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2016
Messages
229
Points
63

Location
Atlanta, GA
#31
Finished cutting and installing the railings on top of the structures. I did some subtle weathering tp the structures using some weathering powders by Bragdon Enterprises. I also did a test run on the two beacon towers with my 3mm bright LED lights. Towers are not complete but are scratch built. The kit towers were solid which would not allow for wiring but I cut off the two small lights and installed them to my forward tower. * Nothing is glued to the deck at this point.
DSCN6105.JPG DSCN6109.JPG
 
Top