HMY Fubbs (1724)

Uwek

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 25, 2017
Messages
2,704
Points
113

Location
Vienna, Austria
#22
very good progress ...... I am positive surprised how exact the shape of the frames are fitting to each other with your choosen sanding method of sanding the partners......I will try this once.
One question and hope it was not asked and answered before: Do you use a kind of rubber cement for fixing the paper on the wood? I am using "Fixogum" gor this kind of work.....
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#23
Hi Uwe,
Thanks, the frames do fit up well using this method. I use a repositionable spray adhesive by Loctite it is fast and easy to use. Any excess glue can be quickly removed with mineral sprits and it does not stain the wood.
Mike
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#26
Thanks Dave she is starting to look like a boat.
Mike
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#28
Thanks ADC,
It seems like the diverse types of ship models require different building methods, I enjoy trying different stuff on each model I build.
Mike
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#29
The Frames continued:
The next set of photos shows all the frames installed on the keel, they did require a lot of sanding but that was expected. I did not have to modify the original frames much and am satisfied with the results; the hull is a very strong structure. IMG_4574.JPG IMG_4575.JPG IMG_4576.JPG
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#31
Hi Dave
Thanks, it actually took about 6 or 7 weeks to frame the hull. I have several builds in various stages of construction. Are you still working on your Blandford cross-section?
Mike
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#32
The Bow Hawse Pieces:
Instead of hawse pieces Portia Takakjian used small blocks of wood contoured to the hull. The first blocks I used were too thin and had to be removed and replaces with thicker ones. The second set fit a lot better, using water soluble glue for framing is very helpful when you don’t get things right the first time. This is a few photos of the re-worked section.
IMG_4577.JPG IMG_4578.JPG IMG_4579.JPG IMG_4580.JPG IMG_4581.JPG IMG_4582.JPG IMG_4583.JPG IMG_4584.JPG
 

Uwek

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 25, 2017
Messages
2,704
Points
113

Location
Vienna, Austria
#33
.........The second set fit a lot better, using water soluble glue for framing is very helpful when you don’t get things right the first time. .....
I learned it also....therefore I am using every time for such works at the hull water-based wooden glue......already twice with the La Salamandre I had to open glued joints :mad:
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#34
Hi Uwe, if you catch the problems early they are usually easy to fix. Most of my problems are caused by not taking enough care during the dry fitting.
Thanks for visiting my build log.
Mike
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#38
The Stern Framing:
The stern framing timbers were left a little oversize, installed and trimmed to fit.
I use a PanaVise when working on the bow and stern it gives you exceptional access to the work area. This is a few photos of the stern being assembled.
IMG_4589s.jpg IMG_4590.JPG IMG_4591.JPG IMG_4592.JPG
 

Mike41

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
638
Points
93

#40
Thanks Dave,
I haven’t had any more problems with the framing than any other ship, the Portia Takakjian drawings have been acceptable so far.
Mike
 
Top