Friedrich Wilhelm Zu Pferde 1/48 scale by Euro Model

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
866
Points
93

Location
Australia.
254.jpg
I believe these are called Cavells, could be wrong, I needed four, so I marked them out on a piece of wood that
was deep enough to cut all four out of,

255.jpg
First part of the cutting out, the wood was Huon Pine,

256.jpg
The shape cut out,

257.jpg
and sitting on the plan after slicing from the block,

259.jpg
finished and attached in place,
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
866
Points
93

Location
Australia.
Managed to get a little bit more done, I've moved up to the head rails,

265.jpg
I cut both the port and strb head rails out of separate pieces of wood, and then sanded them to finish,

266.jpg
starboard head rail,

267.jpg
for the lower rails I cut and sanded the shape of the bottom of the rail onto a piece of thick wood, thick enough
so after shaping i could slice two rails off, the rail marked on the wood,

268.jpg
and after cutting it off,

269.jpg
Shows all the rails sitting over the plan, they all are a little longer than the plan because of the 3D effect,

270.jpg
this is two of the rails after they have been sliced off,



.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
866
Points
93

Location
Australia.
271.jpg
The very lowest moulding rail in place, I will have to cut this back where it touches the wale for the triangular
piece that fits in here, I cannot remember its name,


272.jpg
Next I placed the scroll work on top so i could position the next moulding rail, this is when I found out i had a
problem, if you look at the plan on the right you will see that the Lion on the plan is a lot thinner and that the rail
runs up his back,

273.jpg
I had noticed on photo's of other models that that rail also stopped at the lions tail, so I followed
suit and and stopped it at the tail,



274.jpg
A view of the Port side,
275.jpg
and an overall view of the ship, I have finished painting all the top side rails and have also sanded back the
planking below the wales and re-varnished with a darker varnish,

any questions just ask,

thanks for looking,

best regards john.

.
 
Last edited:

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
866
Points
93

Location
Australia.
276.jpg
Next job was to work out the positions for the cat heads and supports, on the plans they show the arms curved
not only to the sides but also upwards,

277.jpg
I glued a copy of the arm onto a piece of wood, this is the top view,

278.jpg
and then also glued the side view also,

279.jpg
When cut out , this was the resulting arm, when put in position it was obviously to high,

280.jpg
So I used builders license and glued another view of the top of the arm to another piece of wood, but this time
I only cut it vertically through a piece of wood deep enough so that I could two arms from it,

281.jpg
The two arms with holes drilled for sheaves and also a small notch cut on the back of each to locate them in the
front beak head bulkhead,

282.jpg
the two arms with the cat head moulding on the front,
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
866
Points
93

Location
Australia.
283.jpg
A view of the rails before the supports are attached,


284.jpg
To attach the Cherub support I drilled a hole through the base and super glued a brass pin through,


285.jpg
With the arm located in the beak head I then had to work out where the Cherub had to sit so it supported the cat,
it took two tries and I have a hole to fill with a Dowell, the arm is not yet glued in place,


286.jpg
another view,
 
Top