Beautiful work on this incredible model. I'm very interested in seeing this trough. Are you going to put the full masks on or just the cut-off masks?
I'm planning to do this on the Royal Caroline kit that you are doing. Just waiting on the response from ZHL if I can buy all the fittings and carvings etc from them.
As you may know Greg Ashwood and I have been planning this for a year or so on the other forum.
My version will have the cut-off masks because I will be cutting away some of the channels and chain plates.
I have to make some gratings for the upper decks and also I needed some for my River tug, so I decided to make these next
I had already made a sled for my Proxxon saw, so I decided to use this to make the gratings.
Photo of the sled sitting on the saw table
the gratings were going to have a spacing of 1.5mm ( the width of the saw blade ) so I cut a strip of hard wood
1.5mm x 1.5mm and CA glued it to the sled exactly 1.5mm from the blade, you can see it just to the left of the letter X
close up view.
Then I took a strip of wood that I had cut to approx 25mm wide x approx 4.5mm deep, and I pushed it up against the strip glued to the sled, turned the saw on and passed it over the blade.
then I put the slot that had been cut over the strip of glued wood and repeated the process, then I put the second slot over the glued piece and cut another slot, then just kept repeating it till all the length of wood had been slotted.
Four pieces slotted
Then I took some thicker wood ( 50mmx25mmx75mm ) and laid it long ways on the sled and did the same to them, this is the first cut
half way through
the finished cuts
shows four blocks that have been slotted, these will be used as jigs for assembling the gratings.
The lighting I had originally installed comprised of different globes etc, so I ripped it all out and installed some very small leds, I had to make several cuts in the wale planks in order to extract and reinstall the new leds
These leds were again xmas lights that I bought from Cheap as Chips store, again they came with a resistor.
I also ripped off the partial planking that was on the port lower hull so I could remove and replace the lighting.
New lights and wiring being installed, new planking will hide all the wires etc.
These next five pics show the new lighting in place and lit up. The camera seems to pick up and magnify the globes, the lighting has a more subdued effect when viewing in normal conditions
Just brilliant my friend. How do you get time to do all the work on not only this model, but the other 2 which I have found.
I'll will be watching for more updated mate.