Fishknot's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build

didit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2017
Messages
429
Points
93

Just a real quick note and a shout out to Didit, aka Dave Stevens for providing me with two of his cast cannons for my Blandford project. I received them today and they are very well made and detailed (which feeds my obsession). My lathe skills would not have resulted in cannons with this much detail and accuracy.

thanks for the kind review of the cannons Andy glad you liked them.
daves
 
Joined
Oct 26, 2017
Messages
66
Points
18

Looks really nice Andy. I bought a couple of ebony pen blanks but I haven't tried to turn them yet. I know virtually nothing about using a wood lathe yet. I guess I will learn.
Mike, Thanks.

I have actually turned the two elm tree pumps and the mast already, each from birch dowels. Both were easy enough, but the thought of turning the two cannons wasn't sitting well with me. That's why I decided to purchase the castings from Dave.

Good luck with your turning adventure. Just go slow and you should be fine.

Andy
 
Joined
Oct 26, 2017
Messages
66
Points
18

UPDATE,

I have just about finished the elm and chain pumps for the hold. And I made the foreword wall of the well open so that the bases of each can be seen.

I made the working chamber of the chain pump (the inner of the two down shafts) from one piece of 3/16" dia wood dowel and 7/32" square brass tubing. The back case (inner shaft of the chain pump) was made entirely of the 7/32" square brass tubing. I soldered two straps to represent joints. I will apply a similar joints to the working chamber shaft as well.

I soldered the front and back plates of the lower sprocket wheel housings and then filled them with 2-part wood epoxy filler and sanded to the shape of the two plates. Before the wood filler dried, I took the round dowels of the working chamber shafts and impressed the end into the filler so that it could be inserted and glued in later.

The brass parts all received a coating of Jax brass black. The wooden parts of the entire chain pump apparatus will be paired with black or dark brown acrylic paint.

I turned the elm tree pumps to size from 1/2" dowels. These will be stained a medium dark brown and have brass strapping applied to imitate joints and stained black with the Jax blackening.

The difficulties that I am facing with the well and pumps is the installation of all of them and the decking under the chain pump cistern. It is a delicate balancing act to get the well in them glue in the pump shafts then the decking (insuring that there are openings to allow the chain pump shafts to come thru the deck. I will let you know how it turns out.

I have fabricated the chain pump handles from brass rod and brass tubing. They are ready to install once I start on the second deck.

I added a belaying pin to one of the shot locker hatches as a prop to keep it open. I will attempt to have some cannon shot visible thru that open hatch. At least that's the plan.

Here are the pics of my build progress:

IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg IMG_0720.jpg IMG_0721.jpg IMG_0650.jpg
IMG_0656.jpg IMG_0657.jpg
 
Joined
Oct 26, 2017
Messages
66
Points
18

More work on the well area. Slow, but making progress (with all of the other things I have to do these last few months). I am able to work on it occasionally these days.

IMG_0783.jpg IMG_0792.jpg

I blackened all of the brass parts and used acrylic paints to blacken the wooden parts of the chain pump. I used acrylic washes to stain the elm tree pump shafts. I wrapped the elm tree pumps with black malleable steel wire that I had from a ship build 30 years ago. I don't remember where I got it, but it is in a spool and is very easy to shape, almost like lead. I used it to shape the straps around the elm tree pump shafts, then painted them black.

IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0778.jpg IMG_0780.jpg

I used the same acrylic wash technique to paint (or stain) the pump well inside and out. I sanded all of the wood down to 320 grit and then sprayed two coats of satin verithane over the entire pieces (well, elm tree pumps, wooden parts of the chain pump shafts. After they were all painted, I sprayed them with Testors Dull Coat. I wasn't real happy with the dull coat finish, it was still too shiny. I will probably use an air brush to apply a top coat of Model Master Flat Clear Acrylic. I have used this before and it has absolutely NO shine whatsoever. I want a dull finish on most of the wooden parts of the model, but I will allow the mast, deck and other facets of this build to shine a bit for an authentic look.

I had to remove the fore end of the pump well wall in order to slip the well enclosure in and around the elm and chain pump shafts. This end will be open in order to afford views of the interior of the pump well in order to display its contents. You can see one of the corner stations on the left of the pictures below that split apart when I detached the wall. It will be reinstalled after I have secured the pump shafts and stained the hold planking, mast step, etc.

IMG_0795.jpg IMG_0786.jpg IMG_0797.jpg

After I have completed the finish on the interior of the hold and installed the well and shafts, I will begin the fabrication of the main deck framing. In the future, I will be adding ballast stones and some cargo in the form of sacks and barrels, etc.

At this moment, I am working on the main mast. I have turned it and finish sanded it. I have a primer coat of gesso on it and will be painting it rather than staining the birch wood that it is made from. The grain on this particular piece of wood is large and looked to me out of scale. The bare mast is visible in the pictures below.

So I decided to paint the mast and give it the appearance of a grain true to the scale of the model. Hopefully I won't screw that up too badly.

More to follow...

HAPPY FOURTH!
 
Top