I slowed down becase of all the inteconnecting blocks and all the small bits of riging needed to make up one complete.
At the smaller scale Its a pain to get them all the same distance. Oh and Occre's just ;look at the photos approach, doe not help.
I just did what looked right as the belaying diagram omits half the tie points. Did my head in one some it.
Square rig might be comlex but it all makes sense.
Al lease the sails were easy.
Onto the multi hole blocks. Obviously they needed a lot of counter puliies to lift the masts.
Nice build log and build of the Xebec kit by Ocre. I see the close similarities of it to the ZHL plank on frame kit of Le Requin that I am building. I think your masting and rigging portion will help me a lot in my build because the Chinese kit has only some drawings of the rigging and no instructions on it whatsoever.
I have completed making the masts but not the yardarms on mine. Been busy with other things.
Anyway, I'm glad I found your build log and will be following it to completion. Thanks for sharing it with everyone, you're doing a great job in the build.
Wee the sails & masts are attached. Final rigging & rope still to be completed. Note sure whats going on with past posts but images are are corrupted ?
Anyway here is next set.
The rigging although simple is very fiddly and tight to work around. The difficulty is getting it to go through the wood batterns on the hull sides. The Occre plan is some what open to interpretation. However I thing I have it close.
Sail loose & yards (?) added & initially rigged. They are pinned to the mast with brass wire.
Close up of fore yard lower rigging.
Main mast rigging block. The rope is not that supplied with the kit, but leftover from other models. I thought that the thicker rope looked better
Main yard top tie off & rigging
Lower deck ties
Ships boat tied & secured, Main lower yard tied.
The sails were sewn to the yards at each rope point individually. This allowed the sail to sit nicely.
If I can keep up the enthusiasm for final rigging, I expect to finish within the week. The its all the pretty rope loops and side ores to be added.
Very very nice build. Is there a reason why almost all of your posted jpg's are no longer available(threaded or pixelated? I am currently starting a log for same ship on MSW and your log was a great help. Sad to see it go :sad:
This has been a great kit and a real fun build. Given I got it for $299 it was a bargain.
The wood quality was excellent and plentiful.
The thread is typical Occre / AL thread. Not bad but not great. ( still love the stuff that comes with caldercraft)
The metal bits were nice and only needed a little cleaning.
Anyway here are the final images:
The external oars I decided to add ( not in kit, but 3mm dowel & leftover grating work well)
Some dragonfish ( 3d printed from thingverse) to use as supports for the hull on mounting board
As you know I am building the CAZADOR and posting to this site. I am questioning the way my first plank below the bulwark fits at the stern. There appears to be an overhang of the deck in this area. Looking at your build and pictorial instructions, I don't see this overhang. I don't really have an issue with the overhang. I'm just concerned that I am missing something. I have posted two JPEGs on my log for clarification.