Barque Stefano a MarisStella kit - by Don Robinson

DonRobinson

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2017
Messages
180
Points
63

Location
Prince Albert,Saskatchewan, Canada
#47
Thanks Lawrence, I finally have an update for you and anyone else who is watching. It has been a busy summer and I finally got Stefano back on the bench this past week.

IMG_3576.jpg
My goal this week was to install pieces 40(side stringer), 41(top gallant bulwark), 42(top gallant rail) and 43(pin rails)

IMG_3559.jpg
First up was bending pieces 40 and 41 to shape. The side stringer(40) is made from 1.5 x 4 mm walnut strips and the top gallant bulwark is made from 1.5 x 5 mm walnut. The little indents you see on the strip are from the iron and are easily sanded out.

IMG_3560.jpg
Clamping the side stringer into place, pva glue was used

IMG_3563.jpg
Side stringers installed and sanded. Note here is that there should have been a slight overhang, but for some reason I sanded flush

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg IMG_3568.jpg
Here the top gallant has been installed and both pieces given several coats of thinned acrylic paint.

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg
It should be noted the top gallant bulwark was painted before being installed

IMG_3574.jpg
Masking off the top gallant bulwark and painting the rail

IMG_3629.jpg IMG_3631.jpg
Job completed and masking tape removed
IMG_3651.jpg IMG_3652.jpg
Here is how it looks as of this morning. I failed in my goal by not getting the pin rails in, they are up next.
Thanks for stopping by and Take Care.

Don
 

Attachments

Uwek

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Dec 25, 2017
Messages
2,687
Points
113

Location
Vienna, Austria
#48
Thanks Lawrence, I finally have an update for you and anyone else who is watching. It has been a busy summer and I finally got Stefano back on the bench this past week.

View attachment 50676
My goal this week was to install pieces 40(side stringer), 41(top gallant bulwark), 42(top gallant rail) and 43(pin rails)

View attachment 50677
First up was bending pieces 40 and 41 to shape. The side stringer(40) is made from 1.5 x 4 mm walnut strips and the top gallant bulwark is made from 1.5 x 5 mm walnut. The little indents you see on the strip are from the iron and are easily sanded out.

View attachment 50678
Clamping the side stringer into place, pva glue was used

View attachment 50679
Side stringers installed and sanded. Note here is that there should have been a slight overhang, but for some reason I sanded flush

View attachment 50680

View attachment 50681 View attachment 50682
Here the top gallant has been installed and both pieces given several coats of thinned acrylic paint.

View attachment 50683

View attachment 50684
It should be noted the top gallant bulwark was painted before being installed

View attachment 50686
Masking off the top gallant bulwark and painting the rail

View attachment 50687 View attachment 50688
Job completed and masking tape removed
View attachment 50689 View attachment 50690
Here is how it looks as of this morning. I failed in my goal by not getting the pin rails in, they are up next.
Thanks for stopping by and Take Care.

Don
Hallo Don,
Great that you restarted the work on the Stefano....she is looking great.....
 
Last edited:
Top