Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri build

This Build Log Section is for Plastic Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
frankg

Re: Ship Kit Manufactures

Post by frankg » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks Jim, and yes, that did help. I've already read through your Missouri build log once and will likely read through it several more times before all is said and done. I suspect you are nailing it on the head when you say these PE sets are different, they are both very good with their pro's and con's, but to invest hundreds of dollars more in additional sets just to pick up a detail such as the brass screws or turret armor just isn't work it. I cleaned up the plastic screws that came with the kit (nice casting, actually) and I suspect with a good coating of bronze paint they will serve just fine.

BTW, I love your Missouri. You did a fantastic job. It's amazing how easily a photograph can expose mistakes in one's work, so to take as many detailed shots as you did and not have any glaring errors show is testament to the quality of your work.

Jim Lauser
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Jim Lauser » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Frank
There is one other thing that makes the Pontos kit stand out above the MK kit, i. e. Pontus provides you with drilling templates for every set of ladder rungs that are going to be added to the plastic. The instructions tell you what template goes where, you cut it off the PE sheet, line it up on the plastic, scotch tape it in place, and all the holes are all their proper place waiting for you to drill into the plastic. Sounds trivial, it's not.
I'll make one more point here about these holes. If all you need is a 1/64" deep hole, you only need 1/64" of the drill bit protruding out of the pin vise, or dremel, or whatever. You don't know how many bits I broke before the light went on. And when it did, I used a broken drill bit in a dremel. Bzzz, bzzz, bzzz, bzzz and I had 4 holes.
Happy modeling
Jim
Completed builds: Blue Shadow
Wasa
OcCre's Santisima Trinidad
Trumpeter Bismarck with KA Models add-on
Trumpeter Missouri with Pontos add-on

Current Project: The Trumpeter VIIC Submarine

frankg

Post by frankg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks Jim. I just noticed Edwards PE sheets for 1:200 rungs and they have the drill guides as well. Not at all trivial. If the rungs aren't perfectly aligned they would wind up looking like poo. Since I don't want to invest another $2-300 on the Pontos set and have mostly duplicate PE parts just to get the guides, I'm thinking perhaps getting the Edwards sheet might suffice. For e.g., Edwards PE 53125 (part 9) has 28 different drill guides. That doesn't seem like it would be sufficient for the entire ship but since I can get this sheet for approx $20, it's a start. Thoughts?

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri build

Post by Donnie » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:27 pm

At some point in time, I am going to try one of these 1/200 models.

Donnie
Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:16 am

In this scale, you need all the help you can get.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

ir3
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Post by ir3 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Jim,

Perhaps you or one of the thread followers can answer a question. The PONTOS detail up kit 23003F1 has etches both in stainless steel and brass for parts of the aircraft launchers and the tops of the main turrets. I can not find any reference in the instructions nor on the net. I see you used the brass parts. Is the stainless steel parts for another version of the Missouri?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Iran Ausley

Jim Lauser

Post by Jim Lauser » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi Iran
I do not know of any other version of the Missouri. As you can see, the only place I used the stainless steel is the turret roofs.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Completed builds: Blue Shadow
Wasa
OcCre's Santisima Trinidad
Trumpeter Bismarck with KA Models add-on
Trumpeter Missouri with Pontos add-on

Current Project: The Trumpeter VIIC Submarine

DenisR
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by DenisR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi Jim

That is some nice build and detail.

I was thinking about getting the HMS Hood or HMS Nelson.

Denis.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Plastic”