U.S.S. United States - Revell 1:96 plastic / wood bash

This Build Log Section is for Plastic Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderator: zoly99sask

StevieF
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: U.S.S. United States - Revell 1:96 plastic / wood bash

Postby StevieF » Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 am

Cracking job there Denis!!
The decks have come out really well, I have a plastic kit of a Medieval Cog waiting in the wings. After looking through your photos of the wood conversion I may well get that kit out and make a start on the deck and insert a wooden one as you have. You may well have inspired me to get on with that kit I've had it for around 3 years and intended to make a complete scratch build using the kit pieces as patterns but, after seeing what can be done I am very tempted to keep the hull as it comes in plastic and replace all the unpainted parts with wood and just varnish over them.
After all when the hull is painted no-one really knows what its made of unless someone tells them :shock:
Thanks for the inspiration, Steve..
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Thu May 22, 2014 3:54 pm

There is nothing like a wooden deck to make things look great. Nice result.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Fri May 23, 2014 10:03 am

go for it Steve! I think it's fun to experiment a little and see what will work. at this scale, a lot more could have been done. {I shouldn't say this, but I will}

a lot of folks add thickness to the inside of the hulls of these kits, because they feel the plastic thickness is out of scale. I did entertain the idea of doing this to the outside of the hull.....with scale wood planking, just like the decks. I didn't do it because that would mean that the hull would need to be thoroughly sanded, to remove all of the raised detail, and then scribed back in. the critique in all of this would have been, if I was going through all of this trouble......why didn't I build or create a wood kit?

I have suggested this in the past. everyone has that build they're working on.... wouldn't be cool to have a spare hull kicking around, where you could try out different thing on it, with out tempting fate with the build your working on. I have the Boulogne Etaples I'm working on.........even though they are for the the Holiday Harbor build...........I have three other hulls to work with :D

large scale battle ship kits have the wood inlay decks you can buy for them....I think they really add to the build. what is so neat about them, is that you can see the difference in texture.........this is the basis for what I've done here. in my thinking, rather than try to cement the wood to the plastic decking {limited adherence qualities and risking the visibility of those deck seams}, I made the deck platforms and finished the decks. I got the best of both worlds here.

I'd be interested in seeing what you do with this........be sure to start a build log if you do ;-) I wish I could continue with this build......but at the moment, I'm bogged down with car inspection issues.......I can't seem to get away from them :sad: thanks for the good word!
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 am

thanks Gary.......i'm quite pleased with how this went! hopefully, I can get more in depth, with the wood factor! thanks for the good word......now if I can just get through these mechanical distractions ;-)
Fright
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Fright » Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Popeye - compliments goes to you on your work of the deck. Those seams on the kit are hard to hide. I tried to use a painted 'weathered' look but it still didn't look right. I purchased the laser cut deck from Scaledecks for mine Connie. I'm one year out and just got the gun deck installed. Your build is going to look fantastic. Cheers!
popeye

Postby popeye » Wed May 31, 2017 6:49 am

thank you........sadly, this is one of my projects that seems to be sorely neglected. I've been wanting to bring 'er out a few times...but every time I do, I get side tracked with one of the other projects >sigh< I love this series of Revell kits....I wish they would have kept them all in production, but the only one that's still around, is the Connie. thanks for the kind comment and keep looking in.....you never know what will land on the table ;)
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:47 am

Some folks got it...and YOU got it. I think Revell would be very proud of your efforts. A lot of this I would have never entertained nor thought of doing. Fantastic !!!

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
popeye

Postby popeye » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:16 am

hello Donnie....and thanks very much. I've done.....I think five of these models so far. this one will make it six. while I do agree that these kit do possess some inconsistencies, they still are Revell's biggest contributions. the decks are all the same......from the C.S.S. Alabama, the Constitution, to the Cutty Sark, to the United States....they all have this particular deck design. they could have done one piece decks, but I think they were afraid that they'd be prone to warpage. I've done injection molding, and these parts come out quite warm, out of the mold. it's a pretty interesting process.
when I built most of these kits, I was a lot younger and didn't have the knowledge to go on...pretty much followed the instructions. I still have the second Cutty Sark.....it's in the old bedroom that my younger son used to 'live' in. it's not finished.....I want to add the studding sails and the finish the rigging. that kit had some serious problems with the vacuum form sails......I had sent in to revell for replacements....I got all but one sheet and the decals. sad about that, because that crisp new decal sheet was old, and suffered from micro cracking.....found that out when I went to use them.
that prompted me to get into decal making, since no one was willing to make them for me. that's a whole 'nother story. I'm very lucky to get another chance to build the Unites States.....I looked around for quite a while after the first one took the nose dive off the porch. one of these days....soon, I hope to bring her out and continue the project.

do I think Revell would care......I doubt it. like when I built the M&M fun ship.....I sent pictures to M&M/Mars, and all they said was "nice model", and they would show them to their associates. It's OK though.......I'm good with it.....at least I didn't create any copyright issues :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Plastic”