Revell Black Pearl

This Build Log Section is for Plastic Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
azog

Revell Black Pearl

Post by azog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum but I love models so I thought this would be the place for my interest! So Revell recently came out with the beautiful remastered version of the Zvezda Black Pearl ship model or a slightly different version of the Black Swan ship model. Well I recently bought this model on Amazon and I can't find anything about what paints to use for the hull, sails, cannons, deck, and etc not even from the Zvezda model. So I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows for which colors of paints to use, also should I use Humbrol or Acrylic? I have lot's of questions but I would really appreciate if anyone will be able to answer them for me. P.S if I put this discussion in the wrong place please let me know, Thank You!
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." -John Shedd

Graham
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Revell Black Pearl

Post by Graham » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi. I have built a lot of plastic kits in the past and if you are going to try and get it something like the ship in the movies you will need to get into a lot of shading and colourwashing to get the look right. As such, acrylics will be your best bet and since they are water-based can be thinned easily which will help a lot. Regards.

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Donnie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:17 pm

I realize that you are building plastic version, but maybe you can get some ideas from the wooden section as there are a few wooden Black Pearls being built. I used a technique I made up on my own by layering shades of paint (enamel) like on the hull and mast, etc. Then I lightly sanded the part and the different shades of paint showed through.
The hull was black plastic and I painted it in varying shades of tan brown, etc. then as I lightly sanded the paint, then the wood grain of the hull started to show up (black) due to me sanding through the different layers.
WIth the BP, it will be different and I don't think i would paint it totally black, but add some dark orange rust colors, gray colors, etc. Hinges and things like that can be rusted effect.
Try www.micromark.com as they have some weathering agents to put on to make things look old and on plastic too. To me I would play around with many different shades of gray and black and a very dark orange for a rusting effect. you can take like a cotton ball or q-tip or sponge to get some types of effects. The sails, well, I would make my own out of very dark tan gift wrapping tissue paper, dip it in water, etc to age it and to form it to the yards.

This is a link to a Lindberg Captain Kidd plastic that I used some of these techniques.
http://www.shipsofscale.com/WVH/WVH01.html

Thanks for joining and have fun. I hope that you will continue your build log so we can see this come together.

Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by zoly99sask » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 am

This company makes very good paints for weathering realistic wood effects.

http://ak-interactive.com/v2/product/ol ... ood-vol-1/

http://ak-interactive.com/v2/product/ol ... ood-vol-2/

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/WN-g2NJucPQ

azog

Post by azog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 pm

May I just say a big thank you to you guys, you got me a start to build this model! Sorry for a very late reply life has just been crazy lately mainly because of school. But now that I am looking at more detail one thing and maybe the biggest thing to figure out is what enamel paint color should I use for the hull itself? I was thinking about using a coal black so it isn't to dark. What do you guys think about this or do you guys think I should use a different color? Now one key note is I am trying to make this model look like a "new Black Pearl" not the movie version. (On a side note I was planing to buy the 1:150 scale Black Pearl to paint it up to be the movie version.

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Limited-D ... lack+pearl

This is the link to the amazon page to see kinda how I want to paint it.
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." -John Shedd

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Azog,
I will look at model masters and Testors. But i think both of these are the same. They have an online color chart and the last time i visited the site, the color chart was kinda hard to find. If you could do me a favor and take some pictures of the natural color of the parts as is from the box. Is the kit all gray, black or what. In the meantime i will look. The sails in my opinion should have various shades of gray on top of the natural color of sails. The whole ship is
going to have to have a mixture of black and gray tones to it.

Donnie

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:02 am

You can start out with these colors and mix shades together to get diff effects. (F) = flat

Engine Black (F)4888
Grimy Black(F)4887
Railroad Tie Brown (F)4885

azog

Post by azog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Donnie wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 pm
Azog,
I will look at model masters and Testors. But i think both of these are the same. They have an online color chart and the last time i visited the site, the color chart was kinda hard to find. If you could do me a favor and take some pictures of the natural color of the parts as is from the box. Is the kit all gray, black or what. In the meantime i will look. The sails in my opinion should have various shades of gray on top of the natural color of sails. The whole ship is
going to have to have a mixture of black and gray tones to it.

Donnie
So all of the plastic in the kit is in a light grey color as the molded color, not black. However there is one small sheet that is all clear but that should not be a problem.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Azog,
take a look at this Lindberg Captain Kidd (plastic) and read my log.

http://www.shipsofscale.com/WVH/WVH02.html

You will see that I used different layers of colors on the hull. Then using a light sand paper, I lightly sanded the hull as the different layers of colors shown through revealing the GRAIN of the planks in the hull.

Now, I know that you want your ship to be overall a blackish - gray color- that is fine. But, I do believe that you can achive a 3D look with different layers of black and gray. Let dry and sand lightly in different parts of the hull so that the vary colors of gray and black will show through. The same with the sails. I would just a base coat of the dark tan first, then follow with gray and then black last. As you lightly sand the Black away, the gray and the dark tan will start to come through. As you do this technique through the build it will be nice I do believe.

I hope that this helps some. Those colors were Model Masters site.

Donnie

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Plastic”