HMS Queen of Thanet-1/700-AJM Models

This Build Log Section is for Plastic Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Aginvicta
Seaman
Seaman

HMS Queen of Thanet-1/700-AJM Models

Post by Aginvicta » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I built this about a year ago, it was my first attempt at a resin kit.
Launched in Glasgow in 1916, HMS Melton was one of 32 Paddlewheel Mine Sweepers of the Race Course class or sometimes called Ascot class. She continued clearing mines for a few years after WW1 before being sold in 1927 to a ship breakers,in 1929 she was sold on to the New Medway Steam Packet Company, converted to carry passengers and renamed Queen of Thanet. She spent the next 10 years on the north Kent Coast carrying passengers between London, Gravesend, Margate and Dover, as well as to Southend in Essex and Calais in France. In 1939 at the out break of WW2 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty, converted back to a Mine Sweeper, and renamed HMS Queen of Thanet. In May 1940 she was sent to Dunkirk and rescued 4000 troops from the beaches before being sent to Granton near Edinburgh in Scotland. 1944 saw her being sent to Selsey near Chichester to become a Mulberry Despatch Control ship for Operation Overlord, the D-Day landings. She returned to her previous owners in 1946 and once again carried passengers along the north Kent coast. 1949 she was sold to Red Funnel at Southampton, renamed Solent Queen, she was damaged in a fire and it was too expensive to repair her, so she was scrapped in 1951. I grew up on the north Kent coast and my Mother used to tell me about the Paddle Wheel steamers that ran along that coast using the piers at coastal towns to disembark and embark passengers. It seemed a good reason to build this ship.

The kit is resin with a sheet of Photo Etch and some short lengths of wire for the masts. The instructions are 3 pages, very clear and detailed, but the photo of the resin parts is a bit difficault to make out, the light coloured resin against a white background.
QueenA1.jpg
QueenA1.jpg (74.98 KiB) Viewed 44 times
QueenA2.jpg
QueenA2.jpg (93.71 KiB) Viewed 44 times
QueenA3.jpg
QueenA3.jpg (99.09 KiB) Viewed 44 times
QueenA4.jpg
QueenA4.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 44 times
QueenA5.jpg
QueenA5.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 44 times
Cheers Andy

modlerbob
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: HMS Queen of Thanet-1/700-AJM Models

Post by modlerbob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 am

So, where are the pictures of the finished model?
Bob DeWoody

Aginvicta
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Aginvicta » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:46 am

modlerbob wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 am
So, where are the pictures of the finished model?
Patience my dear Sir, I have the whole build log to post first :D
Cheers Andy

Graham
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Graham » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm

This type of model is a new one on me and I'll watch with interest. Cheers.

Aginvicta
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Aginvicta » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Graham wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm
This type of model is a new one on me and I'll watch with interest. Cheers.
There are lots of resin ship kits available, mostly 1/700 or 1/350 scale, very good detail and often of not so well known ships. They are usually "short run" kits.

I read through the instructions and decided to start with what looked like the hardest parts first, the Paddlewheels and the two main guns. Each Paddlewheel assembly consists of 11 Photoetch parts and one resin piece. A Photoetch end plate is glued either end of the resin shaft. I had to make sure that the 2 end plates lined up, I used PVA glue to initially fit them then once I was happy with the fit, used C.A. gel to secure them. The 7 Paddles are fitted next, these sit on a point on each end plate. I did several dry runs to practice fitting these Paddles and I found the best way was to put a dot of PVA glue on one end plate, carefully fit the Paddle and then secure it with a dot of C.A. gel. The whole thing was then left for 5 or 10 minutes to fully set, and to allow my eyesight to recover, before I moved on to the next Paddle. Once all the Paddles were fitted 2 more end pieces were added again making sure everything lined up.
QueenA6.jpg
QueenA6.jpg (105.74 KiB) Viewed 17 times
QueenB2.jpg
QueenB2.jpg (78.6 KiB) Viewed 17 times
QueenC2.jpg
QueenC2.jpg (110.38 KiB) Viewed 17 times
The 2 main guns were next, resin gun barrels and 5 P.E. parts. These proved to be a lot harder to construct than the Paddlewheels. The P.E. gun shields needed folding at the correct angle and the gun sights and arm guides were also quite fiddly to get fitted in the correct location.
QueenB3.jpg
QueenB3.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 17 times
QueenB4.jpg
QueenB4.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 17 times
QueenB7.jpg
QueenB7.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 17 times
Cheers Andy

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Plastic”