the galleons

This Forum is about scratch built 19th and 20th centuries: Iron & Steel Sailing Ships, Steamers, and Motor Ships of all types and sizes during 1850 and 1965.

Moderator: shipbuilder

shipwright101
Petty Officer First Class

Re: the galleons

Postby shipwright101 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 am

Yes, this build will be a bulkhead build, I am half tempted to try a frame build but I am not sure if I possess the extra skills to build one of these.

to frame a hull back in the era of the galleon is really a tough job. Ships used a sister type of framing but back then it was a totally different method. Looking in the upper right corner on the Grand Hermine you can see the framing system used
in the next photo the model shows the San Juan wreck found by parks Canada and totally surveyed I think but not sure the wreck is in Red Bay
Attachments
grande hermine3_edited-1.jpg
grande hermine3_edited-1.jpg (225.99 KiB) Viewed 167 times
San-Juan.jpg
San-Juan.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 167 times
shipwright101

Postby shipwright101 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

for more reading check out the Matthew this was built around 1497 a little earlier but still within the same general time frame. there might be two reconstructions of this vessel one in Canada and one over in the UK

http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?64

then go here and check out the model building series of articles.

http://www.msbjournal.com/?q=index_series

and a few more things to read about

http://o.canada.com/news/canadas-oldest ... ue-galleon

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e ... ical-site/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.3033498
Canoe21
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby Canoe21 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Hello Dave
I thank you very much for all of your information, and so very interesting. This will give me a chance to figure out just how I want to build my little gallon. As I was not sure of just all that was involved in these little ships. By looking over all of this information that you have so very generously shared with me and my shipmates here on the SOS Forms, Thank You, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
shipwright101

Postby shipwright101 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:40 pm

I spent a lot of years as a volunteer at the library in the inland seas museum. sitting there going through rooms of history. I love this research stuff.
if you go back to 1670s in Canadian history you will find the Griffon first ship built on the great lakes. Here is Father Hennepin's drawing of its building. One small issue notice the palm trees and natives without clothing. Humm! the Griffon was built in Canada even in the summer time in Canada I do not think palm trees would grow. The big question I have is where is the lake? why build a big heavy ship in the woods? the only thing accurate is the Griffon it is carved on the stern so we know Hennepin was indeed drawing the Griffon just in the wrong place.
anyhow Hennepin was a Jesuit priest, all explores had a Jesuit come as part of the party, so Hennepin was all over north America all the way to the Caribbean islands. He published his notes and drawings 26 years later. Just maybe he got a little memory burp :?

looks like a Dutch flute judging from the lower stern.

Pirate Ship. Dutch flute was the most seen in European waters in the beginning of the 17th century. The ships were usually three-masted with first two square-rigged a fast and nimble little ship.

remember it was the Dutch who settled North America before the Brits the master shipwright was Moise Hillasrety
Attachments
griffon.jpg
griffon.jpg (191.18 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Hello Dave

This is a very interesting picture, I had forgotten about the Griffon, thanks for the update, but that Palm Tree in Ontario, Canada !!!!, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans

Return to “Maritime History Build Logs: 19th & 20th Century”