Coal Hulk

This Forum is about scratch built 19th and 20th centuries: Iron & Steel Sailing Ships, Steamers, and Motor Ships of all types and sizes during 1850 and 1965.

Moderator: shipbuilder

shipbuilder
Petty Officer First Class

Coal Hulk

Post by shipbuilder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Sadly, my miniatures seldom attract more than a casual glance at the local ship model club once a month. I have never really understood why fellow ship modellers seem so indifferent to them, when collectors of ship models cannot get enough of them. At the moment, I am working on the 270th model since I started counting in October 1992. Here is a miniature of a coal hulk, an old steel-hulled full-rigged ship, cut down for use as a coal bunkering barge for steamships. When completed, it had an old tramp steamer alongside it preparing to take bunkers.
Bob
Attachments
Coal hulk.jpg
Coal Hulk
Coal hulk.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 895 times

GemmaJF

Re: Coal Hulk

Post by GemmaJF » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm

I cannot understand it either Bob, they are beautiful and totally fascination. There seems very little cross-over in the hobby which is a real surprise to me as a newcomer. I have a large collection of Model Shipwright magazines and I see there much talk of following tradition, acceptable rules, many of which do not add up to scale representation which seems quite odd to me having modeled in other fields for many years. Plenty of room I think today for a bit more expression and doing our own thing. That is not to say others cannot do what they think is 'right'. For what it is worth I cannot get enough of seeing your work, these tiny models really work for me.
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project

kiwibob
Seaman
Seaman

Post by kiwibob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Looks very good Bob as always well done

Sgtmik

Post by Sgtmik » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Hi, I am always enamored by the detail on small ship models I wish I had the steady hands for small work.
Well done thanks for sharing. :text-thankyouyellow: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution

Brian077

Post by Brian077 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Bob,

I hope you can post a full build log of one of these fabulous models, especially the way you do the rigging at such a small scale.

shipbuilder

Post by shipbuilder » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:20 am

Thanks for the replies. I wrote for Model Shipwright, regularly for a number of years, right back to the first issues in the early 1970s. My latest regular articles were in Nrs 101, then every one from Nr. 127 to 144, and then all four of the annual hard back Shipwrights until their demise. I wrote under my own name, Robert A. Wilson. My wife also has an article in Nr 137 on painting seas. I have just added five more images to the building log for the barquentine Barden, here on SOS (Scratchbuilding Merchant Sailing Ships, A Dying Art!). A steady hand is one of the most important thing for miniatures, but I have experience of "shaky hands" from my sea time in motor ships that generally had excessive vibration, especially when sailing in ballast. I got over this by resting the outside edge of my hand on the desk whilst using the tweezers to fiddle about with small parts. You can do this with miniatures, but not with large models. Here is a FREE downoad for a build log of the barque East African: http://payhip.com/b/aFVM Click the link, and you will find a note saying "This Item is Free", together with a download button! East African is attached below:
I quickly lose interest if there is no two-way discussion on models. I don't mean that I expect continual praise for my work, or anything like that. More of seeing what others are building, and exchanging views and techniques. That is why I have been absent from here for quite a long time now - I simply cannot "play to an empty theatre!"
If we all make the effort, SOS will become "The best!" But becoming "The Best" does require some effort on the part of the members! I look forward to hearing more from all of you!
Bob
Attachments
East African (Small).JPG
East African 32 feet to 1 inch
East African (Small).JPG (53.71 KiB) Viewed 870 times

GemmaJF

Post by GemmaJF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:35 am

Absolutely Bob, it takes time and effort to share our work on the internet (time we could be spending modeling). So if there is no food for thought generated, we can easily lose interest. We all need to support each other on SOS and keep the feedback up and add to discussions. I have absolutely no doubt plenty of people find your work interesting but we all need to take that couple of seconds just to say so and encourage each other. My Model Shipwright collection runs from 1 to 93. I will have to complete the collection and catch up with your articles and your wife's on painting seas, she has a real talent for it.

There is another side too. To keep the forum active and busy we can all promote SOS. Put links on our social media pages, another I came up with was putting my build log on Pinterest. I included it on a board of The Black Pearl, so any modelers looking for reference images of the Pearl on Pinterest stand a good chance of finding my build log and SOS.

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm

hi bob
what! I simply cannot "play to an empty theatre!" not a chance, not here, for one thing I would love for you to expand on how you painted the hull of the coal hulk. I have had in the back of my mind doing a steam engine room diorama. What I find spooky is how to achieve that greasy used machine look with old paint rust etc.

GemmaJF

Post by GemmaJF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:55 pm

I think I have a practical project to do now Bob, a little Black Pearl might be tricky, but locally we have London sailing barges. I had in the back of my mind to model one, but display space etc made it seem to be a difficult one to fit in. A miniature though makes perfect sense. I have seen some plans and I have the real ships I can go visit any time I like, so after I do the Pearl and before starting the Bounty I think I will have a go at doing the 'Hydrogen' in miniature.
Last edited by GemmaJF on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

banned from MSW a couple of years ago, I am a pretty "needy" sort of guy, and I quickly lose interest if there is no two-way discussion on models. I don't mean that I expect continual praise for my work, or anything like that. More of seeing what others are building, and exchanging views and techniques. That is why I have been absent from here for quite a long time now - I simply cannot "play to an empty theatre!"
If we all make the effort, SOS will become "The best!" But becoming "The Best" does require some effort on the part of the members! I look forward to hearing more from all of you!
Bob

Absolutely Bob, it takes time and effort to share our work on the internet (time we could be spending modeling). So if there is no food for thought generated, we can easily lose interest. We all need to support each other on SOS and keep the feedback up and add to discussions.

welcome to the club Bob i guess i too am a needy kind of guy i need research information, i need feed back from fellow model builders, i need to know how you did this or that, i need someone to tell me i did that wrong or right, i can go on and on, i need a lot of stuff.

the theatre is filling up faster and faster as the word is spreading have you ever given thought to shipwreck dioramas?

Return to “Maritime History Build Logs: 19th & 20th Century”