Admiralty style reference books

When its time to take a break from the ole ship, get a cup of coffee, or whatever your favorite drink is, and talk about whatever is on your mind, or things such as other Interest, Hobbies, or Pastimes that you enjoy.
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Admiralty style reference books

Postby Donnie » Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am

Does anyone know if there any books out there that discuss the techniques of how to build an Admiralty style ship. Most all of that type construction is going to follow the same "basic" structures. It would be even better if the author of book included a typical plans for such to help someone get started. By the way, there were a lot of unnamed ships on display at naval museum as if some were just fictitious. Makes me wonder if those were built by new naval students along time ago and they were building a ship to get the idea.
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
zoly99sask
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Admiralty style reference books

Postby zoly99sask » Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 am

Hi Donnie,check these books out,Harold Hans's Pof books are mandatory.

IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG (67.71 KiB) Viewed 161 times
IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG (47.48 KiB) Viewed 161 times
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG (163.96 KiB) Viewed 161 times
zoly99sask

Postby zoly99sask » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 am

One more book.

IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG (58.19 KiB) Viewed 161 times
shipwright101

Postby shipwright101 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:14 am

Donnie wrote:Does anyone know if there any books out there that discuss the techniques of how to build an Admiralty style ship. Most all of that type construction is going to follow the same "basic" structures. It would be even better if the author of book included a typical plans for such to help someone get started. By the way, there were a lot of unnamed ships on display at naval museum as if some were just fictitious. Makes me wonder if those were built by new naval students along time ago and they were building a ship to get the idea.

Navy board Ship models 1650-1750 by John Franklin

this book is a study of the admiralty model and really not a how to build them. I do not think there is a how to build an admiralty type model book out there.

as close as you will get is the swan class models by Greg Herbert however these are not Admiralty style models, they are more of plank on frame construction type models.

http://www.admiraltymodels.com/Models.html

True Admiralty style models have a system of framing as where the frames and spacing are equal and the futtocks are set between the floor timbers creating an overlapping ban of solid wood. You can see the band of wood in this model.
rb1.jpg
rb1.jpg (252.64 KiB) Viewed 160 times

you can also see the overlap pointed to by the blue arrow

r12.jpg
r12.jpg (146.04 KiB) Viewed 160 times

this is the true "admiralty style" of model construction this type of model building is very difficult and should only be attempted by the experienced model builder. This is a 3D image of Admiralty style framing

frameshape1C.jpg
frameshape1C.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 159 times

NOW if you talking Plank on frame models that is another story
Last edited by shipwright101 on Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
zoly99sask

Postby zoly99sask » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am

And of course the Ancre books.
https://ancre.fr/en/
Last edited by zoly99sask on Fri May 19, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwright101

Postby shipwright101 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:38 am

This is the Oliver Cromwell built by Harold Hahn. It is an admiralty looking model with exposed framing below the main wales. The band of overlapping frames are not used but the equal frame and space are used. There are examples of this type of framing used in admiralty models.

oliver24c_edited-1.jpg
oliver24c_edited-1.jpg (316.67 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Harold Hahn wrote two books on model building
the colonial Schooner and Ships of the American Revolution

these books do not get into step by step construction but they do present a general understanding of the methods used.

here is the same style of framing of an admiralty model, there is no band of overlapping frames but it has that distinctive equal framing and spacing of frames found in admiralty models

bostonc1_edited-1.jpg
bostonc1_edited-1.jpg (127.23 KiB) Viewed 154 times

if you want to build such a model I suggest going with a Hahn model. His method is building in a jig which is very important to keeping all the frames in place.
As far as instructions there are none but if you can build a kit you can build a framed model. I have built several Hahn models as well as framed hulls so if you started a build log I can jump in with some advice or how to do it. This is a process of teaching yourself as you go. The hard part of Hahn models is doing the carvings. I suggest either the Druid which has no carvings or the Oliver Cromwell where cast carvings are available.
donfarr
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby donfarr » Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm

GLAD TO SEE youposting again, you seem to be doing fine, will start my Halifax building log hopefully next week, need yoiur help on certain items,but will wait for the answers on the log, PLEASE READ MY EMAILS, need help on posting and doing the log,...... first time doing one need help on how to post and how to put text in. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING DAVE SUPER TO SEE YOU UP AND ABOUT and that FERTILE BRAIN STILL PRODUCING IDEAS DON
donfarr

Postby donfarr » Fri May 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Donnie, I did not relize the difference between POF and Admiralty style models until just now, I am afraid the Admirilty style building is beyond my capabilities, will stick to POB and POF style builds. THANKS DON
zoly99sask

Postby zoly99sask » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Hello Dave ,the Ancre books are Admiralty or Pof ??
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Ok,
Well, let me say it this way. When I was at the Navy Museum the other day, just about 90% of the models were built either POF or Admiralty.
What I want to do is build the ship that you can look all the way through and see all the levels at one time. Most of the deck is not planked or barely planked so you can see the different levels. There was just enough decking on each layer so that the cannons would have something to sit on. I thought it was very impressive. All the beams and structure was visible w just a little decking on each layer. When I get back home I will post all the images. I will try to post one in a min to show example.
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “Time for Coffee, General Discussion and other Interest”