Plotting a Finis Belli a ca. 1585 ironclad

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Plotting a Finis Belli a ca. 1585 ironclad

Postby popeye » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:29 pm

looks like some really nice masting dowels. are they thick enough to turn cannon barrels from? it does sound like a good alternative to ebony ;)

I use plans for reference mostly....I've hardly drawn anything up either. looks like your ready for planking, although, you might want to adjust the stern a little. the starboard side looks a little off.......either that, the seam in the deck platform is throwing me off ;-) interested in seeing the taper of the bow and stern.
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
pebbleworm
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby pebbleworm » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm making a lot of little adjustments as this goes together. I'm really just scaling up from the somewhat contradictory contemporary illustrations, gaining some insight from other later illustrations of this "monstreaux engine" to see how it goes together and then cutting to fit. I'm happy with the progress so far. The African Blackwood is nice stuff, and not hideously expensive for model size pieces. Dense, hard and strong it would make great ship fittings. The dowels I have from the clarinet tubes are 7 or 8mm in diameter to 20 or 23 cm long. Currently out of stock, but they say "temporarily":
https://www.sciplus.com/p/CLARINET-BELL ... --BP_57141
pebbleworm

Postby pebbleworm » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:07 pm

Made some progress on the deck and bulwarks, and getting things a little more symmetrical through shimming and sanding. I used birch coffee stirrers for the planks- dirt cheap, even if 15% or so are un-useable at full length due to a kink or bend. Caulking is just black crayon. I started with a pretty tight pattern in the middle of the deck, but decided I liked a more random look better and aswitched over. The fort will cover most of the deck so the effect shouldn't be too jarring. Now I'm planning the planking which should be interesting given the curvy hull. I've been looking at a lot of Dutch yacht restoration sites- they usually use wide planks, fire bending, and weights to horse the wood into some pretty extreme shapes.
http://www.windenwater.nl/index.html
This project has been a great excuse to research some pretty arcane subjects!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/g ... eprlmw.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/g ... ojlbfb.jpg
pebbleworm

Postby pebbleworm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:52 pm

I got the first layer of planking on. It was a challenge, and "mistakes were made". On the whole, it went on pretty well and I learned more about planking in the process. Shorter and narrower strip wood seemed to help. I let some planks go where they wanted to in the mistaken belief that they knew better. That needed to be rectified but no big deal. I did run into a problem with my bulkheads- one at a pretty extreme curve in the bow was just a bit too low, resulting in a scow like flat section. I think the best solution is to add a 3mm or so piece of flat wood to this area and fair it in by eye. Any other suggestions?
Scow Bow to the right:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/g ... qpaiya.jpg
pebbleworm

Postby pebbleworm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:55 am

Back in another motel I've had some time to work on the main battery. Since I don't have plans and only suspect source material I had to make things fit, mainly by making cardboard cut outs to check for size. The look demanded big, cartoony guns, and I should have made the hull a little beamier to fit them. After the hull was built a found a contemporary reference that said the ship was "almost square", but that is not really reflected in the pictures I am working from. Too late to change now! I was hoping to make the wheels from wood and did make some good rims by wrapping veneer around a mandrel. Drilling for the spokes I finally decided needed more equipment (or time) I did not have or was willing to spend, so I found some O gauge baggage cart wheels from Wiseman Model Services that would work well. The cannon are based on those pictured on the print of the Fin, with details coming from slightly later English Civil War guns, mainly those at the fort in Londonderry. Most of those details have yet to be added, and at this scale I'm just going to use black paper for the ironwork. With the guns together I can now start laying out the casement. Other hull work is progressing- I just don't have pictures handy.

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”