Miniature barque

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

shipbuilder
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Miniature barque

Post by shipbuilder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 am

Yes, I guess it would. Just joking, I would never try to design a kit. Apart from anything else, hardly any model-makers like merchant ships. Although my elbow recovered ages ago, I have now got it in the other one (right elbow this time!) but not as bad, so I am hoping it will not last as long.
I am currently watching that fantastic scratchbuild on Model Ship World of the German passenger liner Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse. And also the incredible miniature build of the 112 foot ketch Symphony also on MSW. It doesn't seem many years ago since those types of model were commonplace and kits were in a minority.
Bob

rwiederrich
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by rwiederrich » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:21 am

I have been following the scratch build of the clipper *Young America* on Model Ship world....fantastic building and skill. Your sailing ship builds are, IMV on the same level...just a much smaller scale.

I have a collection of images of your builds and I reference them often.

Rob
Current builds: 1/96 Medium clipper Glory of the Seas
1/96 Ferriera...AKA Cutty Sark
1/96 clipper Donald McKay
1/96 clipper Western Shore

shipbuilder

Post by shipbuilder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 am

I wouldn't say I was anywhere near the level of the Young America model. It can be viewed as closely as you would wish and still appear perfect. Mine are mainly illusion, and best viewed as a whole, at a distance of two feet or more. Get close in and they do not look anywhere near as good. But that goes for real ships as well. What appears perfect at a distance can look quite rough when close up! I admire the speed at which the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse is being built. I am wondering about the thickness of the rudder though, and wonder if it will be thinned down later. The ketch Symphony continues to amaze me, as it is only seven inches, long and has the insides in it as well - great stuff!
It is a great pity that there are no websites dedicated to scratchbuild only, but probably not a viable proposition.
Bob

rwiederrich

Post by rwiederrich » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:05 pm

I agree about ships up close....... :text-woo:

Still..at the scale..your ships are just as impressive.

I agree about the Kaiser...the rudder appears to thick..but it ain't finished yet..sooo.

I think his build is magnificent myself.

I remember getting a contract to build a 6" version of an open steam launch that is located at a local wooden boat museum..called the *Puffin*. I first made a wooden hull..then vacuum formed the hull and poured the hull in dental stone. I then decked it in mahogany and built the mini wood clad boiler and black-n-white tile cabin floor. It is proudly displayed in the museum. I also made a half model of it as well for the owner of the boat.

Rob
Current builds: 1/96 Medium clipper Glory of the Seas
1/96 Ferriera...AKA Cutty Sark
1/96 clipper Donald McKay
1/96 clipper Western Shore

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”