SS Huia

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
kiwibob
Seaman
Seaman

SS Huia

Postby kiwibob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:52 am

Hi All,
This is another ship that I have finished as well ( it had been sitting while Clan Macleod was on the go.

This ship the Huia was launched in June 1894 and was sailing up until 1955 and sank when she hit a reef.
The model is 9 inches from stem to stern and built from line drawings and images taken from a book called The Log of the Huia a great read but now out of print.
here are some images
Attachments
Huia-complete-1.jpg
Huia-complete-1.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Huia-2.jpg
Huia-2.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Huia-3.jpg
Huia-3.jpg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Re: SS Huia

Postby GaryM » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Just because you live on a small island is no reason you have to build small ships. Just kidding of course. Nicely done.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
kiwibob
Seaman
Seaman

Postby kiwibob » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:11 am

After a lifetime of working on small electronics building small just seems to feel right and my wife will let me have them on display in the house!!! and I kinda like the small challenges as I dont purchase any parts all hand made.

Bob
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:36 am

Hi Bob,
I assume your hulls are solid wood, what wood do you use obviously something easy to carve and shape.
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
kiwibob
Seaman
Seaman

Postby kiwibob » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Eric,
Yesw all my hulls are solid wood mainly NZ pinus radiata (pine) clear grained but I also have used NZ Rimu and NZ Kauri both of these are very hard but a stable wood. I alsomill my own planks etc have a little proxon table saw a great asset , the other tool is the proxon spindle molder its great when you are making up display bases.

Have a great day (its raining here so guess where I will be.)

Bob
LeeB

Postby LeeB » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello Bob and all members,

I am new to the forum. I have searched the net for information on the ship Huia and this is how I found this site. I am Australian and my wife and her family are Kiwis. My wife's grandfather was the engineer in the 1930's and she would like me to make a model of this schooner for her father. I bought the book, Log of the Huia 3rd ed, which has the drawings. My problem is I am having trouble understanding the deck cabins and what the features look like.

Could you possibly help? could you post or PM me more photos of the deck and fittings I would be very grateful. I am at wits end researching this vessel. Your model is very good and if you don't mind I would like to use it as a guide to build mine.

LeeB

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”