Mariquita Ship in Bottle 1:300

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
SIBBuilder
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Mariquita Ship in Bottle 1:300

Postby SIBBuilder » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 am

Still figuring this forum out. But thought I'd pos a few shots of my current project. It's been a simple but fun build. For any one trying out ship in bottle building for the first time I would suggest this ship.

20140205_194819.jpg
20140205_194819.jpg (49.18 KiB) Viewed 3207 times

20140205_194830.jpg
20140205_194830.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 3207 times

20140207_214144.jpg
20140207_214144.jpg (58.76 KiB) Viewed 3207 times

probablynot
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Mariquita Ship in Bottle 1:300

Postby probablynot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm in admiration!
A couple of questions:
[1] What's the bottle you're intending to fill with this lovely little model? I'd have thought that most ordinary bottles would have a neck that's far too small to admit even the bare hull!
[2] It looks as though you're creating the hull, plus the sea she's sailing in, all in one lump! So that surely means a jar, not a bottle!

Perhaps you'd better be careful how you answer me. If you do, that is! Secrets like that have to be preserved, don't they?
SIBBuilder
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby SIBBuilder » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Probablynot,

I'll tell you the secrets but you have to promise not to tell any one else. JK it's no secret. This model is an experimentation of a technique I saw another SIB builder using. The hull is carved out of a block of wood with the bottom left uncarved. It creates a stand with which you can work with the model. I cut off the bottom for a test fit in the bottle before the masts and rigging started. You'll notice the last picture the base is no longer included. The bottle will be a syrup bottle from the grocery store the neck is a typical 1/2". I think she'll clear with plenty of room. She is a waterline model and the sea is already in the bottle waiting for her.
probablynot

Postby probablynot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:35 pm

I think the bottle most associated with 'ships-in-bottle' thing is the Haigs 'Dimple' whisky bottle. Superb, because the 3-sided design meant a ship would have a flat base to sail on, a high 'middle' for masts and spars, and two relatively clear sides for the model to be viewed through.
I really can't remember the last time I saw one of those 'dimple' bottles on a booze-merchant's shelves. Are they still available?
I do know Haig was taken over about 40 years ago, but I thought the 'dimple bottle' image was an integral part of their takeover and it would have been continued.
However, there's now apparently a separate 'Dimple' company that still sells something purporting to be whisky, in a bottle that does resemble Haig's original. I don't know how good their whisky is, nor how well their 'dimple' bottles re-create the original Haig ones.

Anyway, apologies to you, SIBBuilder. Your interesting thread just gave rise to questions in my mind. I didn't want this to be a diversion from your fascinating little build.
But if you think it is, just delete me and I'll try asking the same question elsewhere!
SIBBuilder
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby SIBBuilder » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm not sure about who sells the dimple bottles but I know the type. I have a few variations. they are good but can be difficult with square rigged ships because of the wider use yard arms. I guess even they would be fine if set on a tight brace. What I see a lot of from the real master builders is light bulbs. This is because of the clarity. If the bottle is too distorted the details so carefully added will not be seen. This is why the dimple bottle was so popular the flat glass had great clarity.

I have no problemwith your questions I think it adds to the build log. So ask away. I'm happy to answer them.
SIBBuilder
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby SIBBuilder » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:26 am

More progress.

SIBBuilder
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby SIBBuilder » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:51 pm

A little more progress. The main and top sail aren't glued down yet.

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:53 am

very nice looking build...I applaud anyone who can put this much detail in such a small build ;-) very nice indeed!
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
SIBBuilder
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

Postby SIBBuilder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks Popeye! :grin:

Well the ships done and ready for bottling.

jct
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby jct » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Very Nice,
Is she bottled yet? Where do you find the tools to work n the ship once it is in the bottle, I've never seen them advertised anywhere?
J
Current build -
In the queue -
Agilis, Steingraeber
HMB Endeavour, Corel
Harriot Lane, Model Shipways
Semi complete-
USS Niagara
Completed builds-
Half Moon, Corel
USN Picket Boat #1

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”