Building my 1/96 clipper Donald McKay diorama

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

rwiederrich
Petty Officer Second Class

Building my 1/96 clipper Donald McKay diorama

Postby rwiederrich » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 am

Full side view.JPG
Full side view.JPG (156.3 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
I've begun my clipper build of the Donald McKay..the fourth in a quartet of clippers and medium clippers ordered by James Baines of the Black Ball line of fast Packets, built by Donald McKay of Boston. As is my fashion...I wanted to build her in a situation that would have been typical for open ocean commercial ships of the time..and I wanted to exhibit the raw power of the Sea and the toil it brought the captains and men who braved the enormous sea...under extremely dangerous conditions. Most water modeling is done in placid to light seas...I wanted extreme....and I wanted to display my model(as I do) not just on a pedestalled display stand...but to draw the viewer in to the power of the event and(If possible) relay the lore and adventure of a time long gone.

I can easily remove the model from the sea base so as to work upon it and when the hull is finished..I will return her and glue her fast and finish off the water hull interface and details.

This image simply shows the water just after painting...but much is left to do and much more detail to be added...along with clear coating.

Now onto the mods to the Revell Cutty Sark hull to convert her and then to the scratch build of the Clipper Donald McKay.

Rob
Attachments
aft waves.JPG
aft waves.JPG (153.78 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
stern.JPG
stern.JPG (159.33 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
Current builds: 1/96 Medium clipper Glory of the Seas
1/96 Ferriera...AKA Cutty Sark
1/96 clipper Donald McKay
1/96 clipper Western Shore
shipbuilder
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Building my 1/96 clipper Donald McKay diorama

Postby shipbuilder » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Rob,
I a saw this build on MSW earlier today and saw that you mentioned plaster! I take it there is something under the plaster to reduce the weight? I have never used plaster myself because of reports that it is subject to cracking, and wonder what your thoughts are on this. I am well aware that plaster has advanced considerably since I considered using it 40 years or so ago! I have tried stone powder for other smaller items in recent years and it appears to set like stone, with the appearance and feel of permanency!
Also, the hull in your sea has the appearance of the beam length ratio of Donald McKay rather than the long, slim, Cutty Sark! Have you done anything to it yet, such as shortening it?
With rough seas, I find I run out of space, but I see you appear to have very little behind the model, and that will give you an extra bit of space, but what of the yards, will they hang over the back, or are you going to add more sea? Also, will the bowsprit/jibboom be projecting over the sea base, or will more sea be added?
Very interesting build and I do hope it attracts some interest here on SOS!
Bob
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Bob......the ship hull is and will further be modified to be the McKay......I only want the hull sitting in water about the width of her yards(shelf space an all).

It is a foam care base and Dental stone(plaster) top. I trimmed it in Apple wood and will finish off later.

Coming along....

Rob
Attachments
smaller version.JPG
smaller version.JPG (156.43 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Bob..to further answer your questions...Like my Ferreira build the McKay bowsprit will extend past the model base. The McKay will be extremely short sailed, with probably a torn loose topsail. The yards will be at a canter..probably 33~45degrees. I'm using what's known as *Forced perspective*...to make the eye think there is more sea there then there truly is. The model will eclipse the base roughly in half..slightly favoring the front side. Because I used a foam core..the base with model is quite light actually.....lighter then my Ferreira build.

The model is riding up the trough of a big wave and the breakers on either side are secondary waves.

Big water for a magnificent vessel. I'm attempting to model the emotion of a such a cape horn voyage.

Rob
shipbuilder

Postby shipbuilder » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 am

Rob,
Thanks for explanation. I had never heard the term "Forced Perspective," but was aware of it although I didn't know what it was called. I have seen it used in half models of ships were the internal arrangements are shown and the whole thing is in a picture frame. The half of the ship is far narrower than it should be in order to get it in the frame, but it looks authentic in scale. The only one I actually saw was HMS Surprise that a friend purchased on the internet. Although I haven't the slightest interest in HMS Surprise, I was amazed at the quality of the illusion and have often felt like doing the same sort of thing with a merchant ship. I have already Googled it, and hope I can soon learn more about this fascinating process.
Bob
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks Bob. Yes..we use forced perspective in model railroading...it is nearly a must when limited space prevents an expansive layout. Full scale objects in the foreground and greatly reduced scale objects just inches away to force the perspective of distance.

In this latest McKay build the water is forced to lend the illusion it is bigger then it really is...giving the effect of a massive sea...along with slightly perching the ship on a *rise* it gives further illusion of height when in fact the unpretentious wood base dissolves away, leaving only the impression of expanse.

Now I have to begin the hull modifications to the ships prow and forecastle.

again..thanks.

Rob
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 pm

079.JPG
079.JPG (129.4 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
Well after I finished the water base for the Open ocean diorama of my new build......I began the above water mods of the Cutty Sark Hull into the Clipper Donald McKay...the fourth of a quartette of clippers Donald McKay built for James Baines for the Black Ball shipping company. The ship McKay is only second in size to the massive Great Republic(another McKay creation) of any sailing ship.

Today, I added wooden mid decks and began the build up of the bullworks and to make corrections to the CS hull(above water). As you can see I have lots to do......so here we go with some images.
Attachments
078.JPG
078.JPG (145.75 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
076.JPG
076.JPG (158.44 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
074.JPG
074.JPG (146.61 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
076.JPG
076.JPG (158.44 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 am

006.JPG
006.JPG (131.82 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Added the new forecastle.....
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (138.48 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:48 am

Then I finished up the round stern.
Attachments
013.JPG
013.JPG (159.46 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:50 am

I then began the work on the bulwarks(Port side) by adding framing, rail and waterways.
Attachments
019.JPG
019.JPG (155.28 KiB) Viewed 3556 times

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”