Nigel's Sovereign Build Deagostini-Heavily Modified

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

NMBROOK
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Nigel's Sovereign Build Deagostini-Heavily Modified

Post by NMBROOK » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi Eric

Firstly,thank you very much indeed.I have been busy with other projects and Sovereign has taken a bit of a back seat for the time being.
I think that to take a step back and have a good think about how far you want to go with the model would be the best advice I could offer.I left the Modelspace forum a good while ago and had this log removed from there after getting fed up with the 'tyrant' that Steve has spoke of.However,one of my friends,Sandy has a bit of a log on there and his Sovereign is well worth a look.He has gone for similar ideas,but with not quite as much radical surgery as me.You can view his log without having to register as far as I am aware.
If you do decide to go the whole hog,then I would say that Busmann's book is almost a necessity.It is expensive and only available second hand.The book is in German,but it is the pictures that are worth their weight in gold.
I wish you the best with your build and look forward to seeing what path you take.

Kind Regards

Nigel

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by eric61 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks Nigel, I will have a look. Had a mishap this morning, I decided to custom make new gun'nels for the Endeavour, the originals are just over 1mm thick and haev to match up with 2mm rails, so in my wisdom used paddle pop/ice cream sticks, 2mm thick. So, when the glue was dry got out the angle grinder with a 40grit flap disk on and trimmed the gun'nels, first one was good, second one broke, not on a glue line but down the middle of one of the sticks. What was holding the grinder and the sticks came together and the tip of my left hand index finger is no more! The finger nail, fortunately was long, stopped greater damage. Just noticed a number of keys on my keyboard have gone brown, finger bleeding. Later.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by eric61 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi Nigel, sorry about the last post.
What I wanted to ask you is what part of Yorkshire are you in? I was born in Saltburn and for a very short time lived in Redcar then we moved to South Africa (mum was from there), '73 we moved to Australia.
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

NMBROOK

Post by NMBROOK » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:22 am

No problem Eric,with 25 years working in structural steelwork,I am all too aware how dangerous grinders are.I am sorry to hear of your mishap,my worst experience was at home changing the crossmember on an old car.The grinder grabbed,trapped my arm and the grinder tore into my wrist.The 'gouge' went right down stopping short of the main artery and tendons,leaving them in full view.
On a lighter note,I currently live in Ferrybridge,West Yorkshire,but I am originally from Leeds.I have been to Redcar and Saltburn,so I am familiar with where you are from.Saltburn is a very nice spot.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”