Nigel's Sovereign Build Deagostini-Heavily Modified

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

NMBROOK
Petty Officer Second Class

Nigel's Sovereign Build Deagostini-Heavily Modified

Post by NMBROOK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Now normally I would start at the beginning,but unfortunately this build started Oct '12 and I haven't photos from the very beginning.However I have from after the planking stage.I have posted in this section as my model is radically altered from the original partwork.For my references I am using the books 'Sovereign of the Seas'by James Sephton and 'Sovereign of the Seas,die skulpturen des britischen konigsschiffes von 1637'by Hendrik Busmann.I am modifying the kit to represent the ship as she features in the work of Van de Velde the elder.However due to discrepancies with hull form etc etc,some compromises have had to be made.
At the start of the build I made a decision to replace the supplied planking with boxwood above and maple below the waterline.The first planking was changed from bamboo to lime.Prior to commencing planking the stern framework was extensively reshaped to give me the correct curved profile with respect to my reference material.The top area that was going to be painted black has been planked in walnut for the simple reason,it's a third of the price of boxwood.Painting was changed for something else,which I will reveal as I catch up closer to where I am now.In the photos you will see my hull fully planked and treenailed.The treenailing was performed after sealing and is a case of drilling(thousands)of 0.4mm holes and then coating the hull with a very thin skim of woodfiller.When dry,this was sanded off leaving the filler in the holes.You will notice adjustments to the upper gunports,as I reduced these in size and position away from the instructions.
Kind Regards Nigel
Attachments
photo (33).JPG
photo (33).JPG (101.44 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
photo (34).JPG
photo (34).JPG (134.88 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
photo (35).JPG
photo (35).JPG (117.96 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
photo (36).JPG
photo (36).JPG (129.77 KiB) Viewed 6454 times

StevieF

Re: Nigel's Sovereign Build Deagostini-Heavily Modified

Post by StevieF » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 am

That is some commitment to hobbying!!!
A labour of true love :handgestures-thumbup: , I will certainly be keeping an eye or two on what you do with this build.
Best wishes, Steve..

NMBROOK

Post by NMBROOK » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 am

StevieF wrote:That is some commitment to hobbying!!!
A labour of true love :handgestures-thumbup: , I will certainly be keeping an eye or two on what you do with this build.
Best wishes, Steve..
Thank you very much Steve :D I have really got the bit between my teeth with this build.Heaps of photos to post to catch up,but I feel it is only fair to take my time.
Kind Regards Nigel

rwiederrich

Post by rwiederrich » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am

Fantastic work Nigel.....your attention to detail is unmatched.

Welcome to our group..and thanks for posting.

Rob
Current builds: 1/96 Medium clipper Glory of the Seas
1/96 Ferriera...AKA Cutty Sark
1/96 clipper Donald McKay
1/96 clipper Western Shore

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Very impressive work. Why did you choose this model instead of the Mantua version?
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

NMBROOK

Post by NMBROOK » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:46 pm

rwiederrich wrote:Fantastic work Nigel.....your attention to detail is unmatched.

Welcome to our group..and thanks for posting.

Rob
Thank you very much indeed Rob for your kind words Rob :)
Kind Regards Nigel

NMBROOK

Post by NMBROOK » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:06 pm

GaryM wrote:Very impressive work. Why did you choose this model instead of the Mantua version?
Thank you very much Gary :) Now that is a very good question,unfortunately the answer isn't quite so straight forward.I did have the option to purchase the Mantua model but chose le soleil royal instead which I felt was more historically accurate,as we both know from experience that isn't necessarily the case.I always wanted to build the Sovereign,but one that was faithful to the artwork,inparticular the famous Pett portrait.As you may be aware,Mantua based their version on the model and drgs of Sir R Seppings which has numerous discrepancies to the artwork of the period.
So then came the release of the DeAg model.The model used in the advert(and on the cover of the weekly mags)turned out not to be what we were building.It appears this model was made by Italian modelmaker Vincenzo Mazzini some thirty years ago.So whilst the advertised model addressed most of the historical inaccuracies of the Mantua and amati(the amati plans are attrocious),the partwork does not match.At this point I had invested alot of hours and money on different timber as the hull was planked,so do I carry on or do I scrap what I had done?I chose to carry on and really go to town kitbashing.Would I do it again?No,I would most certainly use Sergals as a base.
Kind Regards Nigel
Last edited by NMBROOK on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catopower
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Post by catopower » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Outstanding planking job, Nigel – With treenails, none the less!

Interesting info about kit authenticity too.

Clare

NMBROOK

Post by NMBROOK » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm

catopower wrote:Outstanding planking job, Nigel – With treenails, none the less!

Interesting info about kit authenticity too.

Clare
Thank you very much Clare :)
Kind Regards Nigel

NMBROOK

Post by NMBROOK » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:04 pm

On to my next installment of the Sovereign saga :D It became apparent that the kit specified hull top profile did not match the artwork and also neither did the shape of the beakhead bulkhead.Now to try and save any confusion and typing I shall refer to the decks on the top face as 1,2,3 etc starting with the forecastle(I know purists will be cringing now).Anyway according to the Van de Velde engraving the first three decks i.e.1,2 and 3 were covered with a grated overdeck.This made sense as any boarding party would have nowhere to go whilst the inboard carronades took'care'of them.I do know that these were removed in 1639 but I want to build her as launched.The problem arose of deck levels,and making them work to comply with the engraving.It did take me quite a while to suss this out,remember there are no true cross section drgs in existance,just speculation.I had a 'eureka'moment and realised that decks 1 and 3 must be set down slightly below the top of the hull.everything seemed to fall in place then.I know I am 'harping on' a bit about the history,but as I have got older,I have become as interested about the history and my research as I have about actually making the model.
Anyway back to the model,now I knew the correct deck level,I felt confident to tackle the beakhead bulkhead modifications.The standard model has the same shape bulkhead as the Sergal model in that it is flat with a large radius at each side.In actual fact it should be a gradual radius athwartships.I concluded the best option would be to chop this area out and replace with my own fabrication.Now because at this time period pin racks didn't exist all running rigging is belayed to the side rails on this vessel.I was not happy constructing these rails in a conventional manner,I wanted something stronger.I made the decision that ALL vertical uprights would run into the top of the hull.
First I braced the hull off by 'tack' gluing some lime section across and diagonally,then when set I removed the top section of the first bulkhead.I then started to construct a new panel using lime formers and box wood uprights.This was then covered in 0.8mm ply.I had managed to find boxwood strip from a marquetry supplier that comes predyed black and is avaiable in different widths.The dye runs all the way through the wood so no worries about restaining after sanding.This strip was used to plank the bulkhead.
To be cont'd
Kind Regards Nigel
Attachments
photo (59).JPG
Installing the bracings
photo (59).JPG (93.45 KiB) Viewed 6428 times
photo (66).JPG
The bulkhead removed
photo (66).JPG (102.38 KiB) Viewed 6428 times
photo (60).JPG
The three formers notched whilst'tack'glued together to ensure alignment
photo (60).JPG (124.53 KiB) Viewed 6428 times