Yacht America - Scratch POB - 3/16" Scale

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Yacht America - Scratch POB - 3/16" Scale

Postby popeye » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:35 am

that's some very nice progress Clare. I have one of those hole cutters.......darn ghastly to work with. the cockpit looks sweet!
mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Postby mojofilter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Early on in this log you mentioned the George Campbell plans for 'America'. Do you know how I can get these plans?
Thanks,
- Tim
T. Roberts
mojofilter
Seaman
Seaman

Postby mojofilter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:07 pm

By the way, outstanding job!!!!

- Tim
T. Roberts
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Postby catopower » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the nice comments. Sorry I haven't worked on this model for quite some time. It's still ready and waiting for the next stages, but I have a couple projects I need to get done first.

George Campbell did many of the early Model Shipways plans including the Yacht America plans. You can contact Model Shipways / Model Expo. I don't think they're currently producing the kit, but they may still be selling the plans, if not online, then by phone perhaps. http://www.modelexpo-online.com

Or, if you want to build a kit, it comes with them. They're out of production, but you can find them popping up on Ebay.

Clare
catopower

Postby catopower » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I just realized there is SOME progress that I hadn't posted here on the Yacht America...

The schooner had a octagonal skylight, just behind the foremast. The base of the skylight was round and that was the easy part. The hard part was making the octagonal framework, for the triangular or pie-shaped lights.

I initially tried to build up the individual frames and tried making a jig to hold them all into place. All I got was a kind of a lopsided, clunky looking structure that didn't look like it belong on a racing yacht. Plus, it was very fragile.

DSC01459.jpg

I tried a couple of times, but nothing seemed quite right. What I needed was a metal framework that I could glue the wood to. I tried a couple times soldering a framework together, but still nothing worked the way I wanted.

Then, I got the idea to break out the brass photo etching kit I used for the trailboards and for details on other models. I drew up some 8-legged "starbursts" and had to re-learn the photo etching techniques. Below are the frames just after the photo etch process was completed. The metal still has a layer of photo-resist film, which has yet to be washed off.

IMG_0147.jpg

I actually solved two problems at the same time as the above photo actually shows some door panels and skylight frames I made at the same time for my model of the Side Paddleweel Steamer U.S.S. Saginaw (yes, still in progress too). But the skylight frame was nice and thin and sturdy enough to work with. I bent the legs into shape and trimmed them to length and fit it into the skylight base.

DSC02042.jpg

With that in place. I could then add wood to this framework. The frame held the pieces in the proper position and was strong enough that I could use some very thin wood and still have a sturdy structure.

DSC02047.jpg

A problem most happily resolved!

Clare
Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:52 pm

You are a clever fellow. Looks :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute: good.
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:37 pm

Very nice result. Frustration gives way to determination.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
popeye

Postby popeye » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:04 am

skylight came out really nice Clare..........is there a process in making photo etch? is there a kit available?
catopower

Postby catopower » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks Gary, Popeye.

Popeye, the easiest way to get into photo etching is to get the kit that Micromark sells. It has pretty much everything you need to get started, except that you need a computer, inkjet printer, and a means of creating the artwork. I haven't tried CAD programs, but they might work. I've used Photoshop and Illustrator and have old copies, which still work to create the art needed.

Technically, you should be able to draw artwork by hand. But, of course, the final pieces will only be as good as your artwork, at best.

The Micromark set is around $140. It's a multi-step process and it takes some practice and can get a little bit frustrating at times until you figure everything out. It also involves a couple mean chemicals and requires basic safety measures and safe disposal, etc.

However, it's pretty darned cool to be able to make your own special parts out of brass, copper and even steel.

You don't need the starter kit, technically, if you can gather up or make all the items you need. But, it's a heck of a lot easier to start with it. Once you learn what you're doing, you source some of the items yourself. But, it's a great learning set. Kind of reminds me of getting a chemistry set as a kid :D

Clare
popeye

Postby popeye » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:04 am

hello Clare...wondering if you've made any progress on the AmericA...beautiful build so far :)

I will take a look at it........can't be any worse than this crazy decal maker program I have. I like the way you did the skylight.......reminds me of the trial I had with the Billing boat AmericA. the skylight in their kit is plastic........was really the devil trying to "hollow" it out.

I just bookmarked the micromark site........very interesting ;)

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”