Mv Tuhoe 1919

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
kiwibob
Petty Officer Third Class

Mv Tuhoe 1919

Postby kiwibob » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:26 am

here is my build of Mv Tuhoe

M V Tuhoe
Tuhoe Meaning (The children of the mist)
First a little history, Built by G C Niccol of Auckland New Zealand in 1919 fitted with two 60 Hp engines salvaged from a ship Eunice in Glasgow the year before
L = 97.8 ft B = 24.8 ft Draws 6.5 ft Double mast
Her maiden voyage was from Auckland to Whakatane then to Tauranga there seems to be no info on what was carried.
1939 she was taken over by the NZ Navy then on sold to US Navy for their small ships section serving in Australia and New Guinea Returned to NZ 1946 and resumed on the coastal trade.
Further reading
http://www.mvtuhoekaiapoi.co.nz
http://www.nzcoastalshipping.com/ see ships of Kaiapoi
I remember her calling at our small port of Opotiki to load grain etc and discharge general cargo, this was the time where you could be on the wharf and watch what was going on while fishing or swimming hence a long interest in coastal shipping. Tuhoe was the last Cargo ship to call at Opotiki August 1957. I was 11 then, from there the area has declined but there are moves afoot to turn it into a mussel handling port with very large mussel growing farms 12 km offshore (we watch with interest).
Tuhoe as she is today. Run as a small attraction up and down the Kaiapoi river from the township of Kaiapoi to the river mouth. Kaiapoi was badly damaged in a major earthquake two years ago(this is the Christchurch earthquake) but there is a rebuild program going on, so the vessel is not being used so much. We were there just before Christmas which I managed to get some photos but the tide was in and couldn’t look down on the deck. I have contacted the trust whom run this ship but to date haven’t been able to get any deck plans.
Why build a miniature (Im a masochist!!) I actually enjoy building small comes from a working life of a electronics engineer working on smaller and smaller communications gear.
Tuhoe Scale = 1/130 x 9 inches long 2.29 inch beam. Timber used is Pine (pinus Radiata) its used in the building industry seems stable and can be milled to small sizes ie 1/16 x 1/16 and < 1mm planks (I have a Proxon bench saw. I also use a lot of Canadian Cedar along with other NZ native timbers some 2000 years + old.
The superstructure and deck are built using 1/64th plywood. The deck has been scribed as 2mm planks starting from the center working out
From now it will be a photographic record and will explain some of the small fitting construction
Making the portholes 2.0 mm id made from two pieces of brass tube soldered together then parted off in the lathe to finish with a flanged porthole fitting 4mm od .
Funnel made from brass tube annealed and then compressed in vice to correct width (important to anneal brass as it can be worked much easier) Around the top 1mm brass wire was annealed then formed around top and soldered , the bottom ring is .05mm rod fitted in same manner as top. This was then shaped by filing etc
Life rings made from evergreen plastic rod 4.5mm od and a smaller rod of 1.8mm id glued inside then rounded and parted off at correct thickness then grab rope made from crochet 20g stiffened with thin CA and bent with tweezers then lashed with 6/0 uni thread (Fly tying thread) then lastly painting red quarter. After a couple have been made it becomes relatively easy the big thing is to take your time.
Mast stays are made from long 50mm x .6mm brass pins once again anneal first cut off the head then bend around .3mm hard brass rod to produce .3mm eye. Once this is done I file a flat at two sides so when finished it looks like flat bar .
kiwibob

Re: Mv Tuhoe 1919

Postby kiwibob » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:33 am

Photos
Attachments
mast fittings aft.jpg
mast fittings aft.jpg (84.49 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Tuhoe masts etc2.jpg
Tuhoe masts etc2.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
kiwibob

Postby kiwibob » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:36 am

Here are a few more images enjoy.
Attachments
Tuhoe-started-1.jpg
Tuhoe-started-1.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Tuhoe-fittings-1.jpg
Tuhoe-fittings-1.jpg (35 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Bridge-and-accomadation-1.jpg
Bridge-and-accomadation-1.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
otrax01
Petty Officer First Class

Postby otrax01 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Bob is the hull a single block or planked?
Kent
Remember, When your out in the shop, Ship Happens!

Postby kiwibob » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi Its a single block of wood NZ pinus radiata only problem its a bit soft abd has hard/ soft layers but once a sanding sealer is used its not so bad. This is modeled same as shipbuilder Bob Wilson.
Cheers
Bob
shipbuilder

Postby shipbuilder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Bob,
Nice little build. Regarding flat brass bar. If you stretch the wire slightly to make it go straight, and lay it on a piece of flat steel and beat it witha smoothe-faced hammer, that flattens it nicely and is easier than filing. I do it with copper rod all the time. Probably easier with copper, but I use the same technique on brass wire sometimes.
Bob
kiwibob

Postby kiwibob » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Bob (shipbuilder)
Thanks for the tip this how I have done it the only difference is I aways anneal the brass it makes it work easier and the brass is long lace making pins you will see when I put the next image tonight. But appreciate your comments always helpfull.

Cheers
Bob
kiwibob

Postby kiwibob » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:11 am

Hi Here is the latest image still to build a life boat and some more rope etc.
enjoy and a stand (tomorrow all going well)

Bob
Attachments
Tuhoe-f22.jpg
Tuhoe-f22.jpg (80.81 KiB) Viewed 3711 times

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”