USS Saginaw, 1859 - Paddlewheel Steamer

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
catopower
Petty Officer First Class

Re: USS Saginaw, 1859 - Paddlewheel Steamer

Postby catopower » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:48 am

Consistency of work!

The big question of doing this photoetching work is whether or not my success with the skylight parts is repeatable. So, today, I went back and updated the artwork for the paneled doors and also modified the skylight artwork to scale it up for a taller and larger (3/16" scale instead of 1/8" scale) Yacht America skylight. The Saginaw will require 10 paneled doors, so I made artwork with 12 of them, giving me a couple spares.

To cut to the chase, I managed to go through the whole process twice today: Once for the paneled doors and once for the America's skylight frame. All seemed to work well, so that's 3 times in a row(!). Looking back, it almost makes me wonder how I could have been having so much trouble. But, I'm just really happy that things are finally going well. We'll see how long it lasts!

DSC02037.jpg

Above are the results of the etchings I did today. The outer edges of the panel doors have been filed smooth. I still have to file inside the openings. After these are cleaned up, I'll glue them to thin wood sheet to complete the doors. The skylight frame on the right is for the Yacht America in 3/16" scale, so I made this 33% larger than the Saginaw's. It will also be taller, so the legs of the frame will be bent to a sharper angle. I'll probably then glue thin wood pieces over it, with this providing the basic structure. You'll have to look at my Yacht America log to see how well that works out.

DSC02031.jpg

Above are the Saginaw's skylights test fit into place. I still have to decide how I want to handle the windows and the protective bars. I painted the insides of these white, but they look awfully bright with the black exterior. Though I've painted all the coamings on the model black, I suppose I could re-paint the skylight frames white instead. Either that or "fancy them up" with a simulated wood color. Of course, with windows in place, the inside color probably won't be so prominent.

DSC02034.jpg

Here's a closeup of one of the painted skylights.

In any case, it sure feels good to have the skylight structures behind me now. This takes a load off. The only other difficult structure is probably the paddle wheels. More on that next time.

Clare
StevieF
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby StevieF » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:17 am

Top job Clare!!!
The etchings look really good, and now as you say! consistency is the key. Far in advance of my meagre ability :oops:
Always a pleasure to look at what your up to.
All the best, Steve..
rwiederrich

Postby rwiederrich » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Sweet job Cat...sweet job.

Rob
Current builds: 1/96 Medium clipper Glory of the Seas
1/96 Ferriera...AKA Cutty Sark
1/96 clipper Donald McKay
1/96 clipper Western Shore
catopower

Postby catopower » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks Steve, Rob.

It was a great relief to have been able to get decent results from the photo etching. There are still issues to contend with. The parts I worked with this time were small and some of the problems I see on them are minor. But, if I scale up to make larger parts, I can tell I'm going to run into issues with uneven exposure or possibly overheating of the work and the photo resist material, etc. That's what I'm going to have to deal with next.

Maybe over the next few weeks, I'll do some experiments with exposure times, lamp distances and sizes. But, oh how these holidays keep getting in the way! :D

Clare
catopower

Postby catopower » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Progress update...

I finished up one of the round (octagonal) skylights and added the paneled doors to the deck house structure. I still need to do a little more cleanup and detailing, but this is what I have now.

DSC02119.jpg

I haven't glued this into place yet, but will do that shortly. I had the darnedest time getting the windows into place. I tried cutting little pie sections, but they were small and impossible for me to control. So, I ended making a circular piece with a section cut out.

IMG_0196.jpg

This is the only way I could get the windows into the skylight. It doesn't lay flush with the frames, but at this scale, you really can't tell. I did have a little problem with a tiny amount of overlap at the ends, but it's pretty well hidden after I added the bars over the windows. Oh, yes, and those bars were so small and required so much care to affix that it was a very painful process. Give me ratlines instead any day!

Next, I dealt with the paneled doors. I needed to add knobs to the doors and just chucked brass nails into a dremel and filed the heads down to a more reasonable size. Interesting to note that the ground away areas are steel colored since these are apparently not brass nails, but brass plated nails. Not so noticeable at this scale.

DSC02120.jpg

I attached the doors, leaving a couple of the doors ajar. Obviously someone aboard was careless and didn't close them properly, and either the seas are very calm or the roll of the ship will slam them shut. These still need a little clean up and they aren't perfect. But, these will be mostly hidden by the wheel houses and the hurricane deck.

The deck house is just temporarily put in place. I will need to get the wheel houses built before I can put this in place permanently.

Clare
jct

Postby jct » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:42 am

Man o man, I'm calling:"MAD SKILLS" fantastic job...love the doors :music-rockout:
Current build -
In the queue -
Agilis, Steingraeber
HMB Endeavour, Corel
Harriot Lane, Model Shipways
Semi complete-
USS Niagara
Completed builds-
Half Moon, Corel
USN Picket Boat #1

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”