Lauro Passenger Liner Roma

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

Seaman
Seaman

Lauro Passenger Liner Roma

Post by 1492 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:38 am

Hello all, this is my first build log on this forum.
After many months being absent from my workbench for personal reasons, I have finally made a return to the tools. A special project has arisen that I have promised my better half I would build in time for her parent's anniversary of their arrival to Australia from Italy in 1965. The Project will be the Immigrant/passenger ship Roma.

A brief history with some background of the ship can be found HERE

The ship will be built to a scale of 1/365, mostly because that scale fits perfectly onto an A3 piece of paper when I print the plans.

The plans for this ship were near impossible to find, however thanks to our member Bob Wilson (Shipbuilder on this forum) I was able to make a start with the deck plans he so generously sent to me. I was also able to get my hands on the hull plans from here (a C3 hull) as the detail was much better especially since I was to use the Bread and Butter technique that was taught to me by Bob's Manual Miniature Steam & Motor ship Construction. At this point I would like to thank Bob Wilson for the support and guidance he has given to me and the inspiration he has provided to change me from a person who believed ‘I could never do that’ to a person who is willing to give it a go. After reading both his manuals I gained the confidence and began to feel that what was previously impossible can now be done. Although it would seem that I followed Bob's chapter on the Kenya build, the truth is that all the manual's tips and construction guides helped immensely.

So onto the build:
P2220253.JPG
Piece of wood marked with the centre lines and guides, I have also marked the deck plans with the corresponding guide lines. The profile plan is glued to the wood and has already been marked where the decks will be cut.
P2220253.JPG (75.31 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
P2220235.JPG
Here I have used the bandsaw to cut excess timber using the glued plans as a guide. I have left the bottom as extra depth. You can see the errors I have made with the deck lines (crossed out)
P2220235.JPG (36.59 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
P2220240.JPG
The decks are cut out using the correct drawn lines. Ready to have the deck plans glued on each piece.
P2220240.JPG (47.38 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
P2220244.JPG
The deck plans are now glued on to each cut out.
P2220244.JPG (58.36 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
P2220250.JPG
Decks cut using bandsaw and glued together using the guides drawn on the plans
P2220250.JPG (28.48 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
John

shipbuilder
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Lauro Passenger Liner Roma

Post by shipbuilder » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 am

His John,
Good to hear from you again. I was wondering how you were getting on with the Roma! and now here she is and looking well! That was an interesting link to the aircraft carrier, because my first ship was one of them (HMS Premier) that had been converted back to a merchant ship (Rhodesia Star) after the war, but I had never seen the plans anywhere of the ship as an aircraft carrier.
Bob

rummy
Seaman
Seaman

Post by rummy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 am

Very nice work.You make it look so easy. Larry
With age comes wisdom.I'm still waiting.
Builds Complete:1819 Virginia,King of the Mississippi,Constellation,by "AL"'
Builds I'm working on:Syren by "MS",San Felipe.
Scratch Builds: Triton Cross Section

Seaman
Seaman

Post by 1492 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Bob, Larry, Anja

Thank you for your support, it is appreciated as I've never made anything as complicated as this ship.

John
John

Sjors55
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Sjors55 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 am

Hi John,

Also from me welcome.
If you have questions about your build, ask Bob :-)
I can not help you because my ships are a little bit bigger,
I will follow you with this one.

Sjors
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
(Mahatma Gandhi)

Current build:
Le Mirage by Corel (1:75)

Current build: San Ildefonso by OcCre (1:70)
http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/view ... f=52&t=279

popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by popeye » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:34 pm

welcome to the site. looks like a really neat build you have there.....I'll be looking in on this one

Seaman
Seaman

Post by 1492 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 am

Thanks Sjors, I know Bob can be relied upon to help me with this build. He has already helped me tremendously.

This weekend I spent a lot of time sanding the hull to as close to the final shape as possible. It meant a lot of elbow grease and measuring and more sanding. It's quite exciting to see a ship's hull appear from inside a block of wood.
Roma4.jpg
First I glued the lower inner plan to the bottom of the model. I then began to sand the wood no further than where the pieces of wood met (marked with the red lines) as the guide. I also glued the bow and stern profile taken from the plans to a piece of copper plate and cut them out.
Roma4.jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Roma6.jpg
I decided to add some detail to the stern profile and rudder.
Roma6.jpg (52.3 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Roma7.jpg
After getting close to the final shape. I used these guides (taken from the plans) to get an accurate shape. I marked the decks with the location for each numbered guide found in the lower part of the image. I Marked the bottom of the hull with the place and number for the guides found at the top of the image.
Roma7.jpg (86.13 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
John

shipbuilder

Post by shipbuilder » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 am

John,
It is coming along very well now. You will soon be on the more interesting part of fitting out!
Bob

cog
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by cog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:57 am

John,

Very interesting build. I'll be following along with the rest.
Cheers,
Carl

Current build:
Kit
Dolphyn - Corel

Scratch
Sea Witch

Next build: (on the shelf) Arno XI

Seaman
Seaman

Post by 1492 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks for looking into my build log, Bob, Anja and Carl.

The bow and stern inserts were glued and a lot of time was taken to fair the hull to it's correct shape.
The decks were added and the forecastle deck painted. I simulated the planking on the foredeck but in this photo it is masked for protection. The main deck is not 'planked' as it will be mostly hidden.
In the first photo you can see that the forward bulwarks have been added. This was a fairly difficult job due to the constant measuring, sizing and repositioning of the plates to get them right. I also had to take into consideration that they need to meet with the main bulwarks along the main deck.

Here is a close up. There has already been some fairing of the new bulwarks to the hull and the holes shaped near the bow.

In the next image the bulwarks are added to the main deck. This was not a difficult task. The hard part is not breaking them off during the remainder of the build. I have already programmed my brain to be extremely conscious of not damaging them :?

John

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”