East Indiaman Galleon Deadite

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

JosephH
Petty Officer First Class

East Indiaman Galleon Deadite

Post by JosephH » Sun May 14, 2017 5:20 am

Ok guys I am new to actual tall ship building other than when I was younger I built the Revel 3 sister ships the United States, President, and the USS Constitution.

for 35+ years I have built radio controlled aircraft and designed them and full sized aircraft for museums. the military, Cities etc. well getting older and less places to fly due to all the drone people causing problems at airports etc the FAA cracking down some so with 2 grandsons ages 5 and 7 into ships namely Pirate ships they wanted me to build them a pirate ship for their room and one we can go to the local park cement pond and sail. The parks pond is really nice about 4' deep and the sides are all concrete with a sidewalk all around and would say it is about 1/4 mile all the way around it kinda like a school football field with track around it for track and field races. they also have 2 really nice fountains and an island in the middle of the pond. will find pictures later.

I have also build the usual speed boats and tug boats for sailing but these tall ships a totally new beasty. due to all the scale work I have done i am pretty anal on building things like they were originally done to the best of my abilities and thus my tall ships must be Plank on frame not plank on bulkhead.

I have named this ship the Deatite after the campy 80's classic with Bruce Campbell Evil dead series. The story is basically about Ash Williams (Bruce Campbell) listening to a tape he found in an old cabin where the owner was reciting passages from the Book of the Dead and unleashed the demons from hell called Deadites. and the trilogy of movies is all about Ash trying to hunt down and return them to hell.

So this ship Ash was sent back in time (he was in one of the movies too) and Commandeered a Ghost Ship and sails the seas tracking down Deadites.

(lol every ship needs a history and so this is mine as when I told it to the grand-kids they giggles and said cool gpa.

For this Pie Rat ship I am using excellent drawings from some Chinese guy of the black pearl at 1/50th scale. I would like to do it double that size roughly at 48" long and 42" tall but don't have my plane trailer any more so for now have to stay small until I get a new trailer.

The Black Pearl is fictional ship based on an East Indiaman Galleon and since I like galleons and while waiting to get my hands on a good set of plans for the HMS Endeavour I will design my own ship based off the pearl drawings with some modifications to the decor etc.

I have always had problems laying out the Hulls as I can draw some stations but getting where the Hawse Pieces and Cant frames etc start. First thing is the tracing of the plans so that I can start with some outlines.

I will be using Solidworks 2017 to draw this up as this way it is in 3D and I can make sure everything fits together correctly.
Scale Model Design and Fabrication L.L.C.
http://www.proflooney.net

JosephH

Re: East Indiaman Galleon Deadite

Post by JosephH » Sun May 14, 2017 5:25 am

I just started this and as I work out of town during the week I will do some more for a couple hours til i need to pack up my computer and head to the hotel.
Deadite-01.png
Deadite-01.png (210.38 KiB) Viewed 526 times

JosephH

Post by JosephH » Sun May 14, 2017 10:07 am

Ok Mateys I am almost finished tracing the top deck. now time to break down computer and hit the road will try to get some pics up tomorrow

Sgtmik

Post by Sgtmik » Sun May 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Welcome aboard, Its sounds like you are way ahead of the game. I also like pirate ships. While living on the Gulf Coast in Texas. I learned that may of the pirate vessels of the time were shallow draft boats that could hide out in the sallow reefs and oyster beads of the Gulf Coast. But the cool factor of pirate ships are the Galleons that Cpt. Blood "Errol Flynn" sailed, :cool:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution

JosephH

Post by JosephH » Sun May 14, 2017 1:31 pm

yes at the hotel now abt to get some nap time as go in to work in 4 hrs but I do have the plans and first 2 books for admiralty Models Swan class sloop but i got a lot of stuff to do with the plans to make it easier for me to understand. the nice thing i notice about this site after reading posts is people like to help each other but some sites they just say go buy this or go buy that and it will explain everything like i am made out of money rofl. anyways catch y'all tomorrow with pics and update

JosephH

Post by JosephH » Sun May 14, 2017 1:33 pm

oh and not only erroll flynn but dont forget good ole blackbeard and queen annes revenge

Sgtmik

Post by Sgtmik » Sun May 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Harr... Harr... Matey :text-lol:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution

JosephH

Post by JosephH » Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 am

well another 14 hr day so not getting much done and for some reason my cad prog is uber uber slow takes like 3 mins for mouse to move I am wondering when I packed up if i jossled something loose somewhere. but every other program seems fine

JosephH

Post by JosephH » Sat May 20, 2017 2:41 am

ok guys I will be drawing some on this got a ton stuff traced but will be long ways to go as trying to figure something out how to do in my cad prog.

meanwhile My plans arrived for the Galley Washington that will be working on and starting to build so will be my pie rat ship for the Grandkids

so will make a seperate thread for that and will still be updating this one

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”