Whaler

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

shipbuilder
Petty Officer First Class

Whaler

Post by shipbuilder » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Whaler. About to begin.
Bob
Attachments
1 (Small).jpg
About to begin
1 (Small).jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 571 times

GemmaJF

Re: Whaler

Post by GemmaJF » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:11 pm

Are we getting a full build log Bob? If so I'm going to really enjoy it. :D
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project

shipbuilder

Post by shipbuilder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:22 am

Gemma,
I am not bothered about lavish, or even moderate praise, or even severe criticism, but "stony silence" really gets to me! :angry-banghead: For that reason, quite a lot of my methods bring "screams of anguish". Here is a prime example. Not being very good at carving, I hack and chop the basic hulls out with a coping saw, and various grades of coarse rasps, files and wet & dry paper. All the numerous holes, dents and poor joints are then filled in with car body filler, that is then filed and smoothed down to a good shape. Here is the stubby little whaler shaped and filled, but still awaiting its final smoothing. Such low-life methods appear to be permanent, because two models that I built thirty years or so ago, and have kept, remain intact. :D
Here is a whaling song to get you all in the mood!
https://youtu.be/K6OYb_7bhME
Bob
Attachments
2 (Small).jpg
2 (Small).jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 561 times

Brian077

Post by Brian077 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:33 am

I'm watching with interest too Bob. Thank you for sharing this.
Current Build Link:-
ZHL - Xebec Le Requin

Future Build Link:-
H.M.S Enterprise 28 guns

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:11 am

what I think is either SOS or MSB or both sites set up a gallery for model builders such as yourself to show your work, sell it and have build logs.
As you may have gathered from the poll very few members respond to anything 13 out of 696 so getting replies may never happen. The point with the above mentioned sites is to get modelers work out there and provide information and not so much for a social gathering of "that a boy nice job"
heck look at the tug Alva B 7 replies out of 8,492 sheesh.

GemmaJF

Post by GemmaJF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:35 am

Interest is definitely there Bob!

I raised the idea of adding a 'like' button on the forum which might help with indicating interest in posts and topics. I am just the same, I soon get bored of adding content if nobody seems interested. I spoke to a lot of people and they admitted they have got lazy on forums, they read something, then look for the 'like button' having been on Facebook, when there is not one, they just move on.

My own view is bin the rules, we can draw inspiration as modelers from the work of the masters in the past, if we wish, we can all find out about 'admiralty' or 'navy board' models (if they interest us).

If though we have our own thing to do, then frankly lets do it. It may be more relevant to the public in any case. It is not like we are trying to sell the idea of a full-sized ship to anyone with our models these days, so I see no reason to follow a set of rules, unless one particularly wanted to, which is fine by me too.

I saw in my research an original navy board model with a figure added to give scale - yet we are told one should not add figures unless it is a diorama. Seems the original masters were not reading the same rule book! The Pearl is getting figures and sails, and it will be on a stand, OMG blasphemy!

I have made plenty of models starting from a rough blank covered in car filler, seems a pretty normal method of modeling to me. ;-) I also like using air dry modelling clay, I find it less smelly and irritating than car filler (I've become sensitive to some chemicals and dusts after years of playing with them) people say air dry modeling clay does not last, but it does! I did a few sci-fi models where I 'skinned' old Dinky die-casts with modeling clay then 'corrected' them to be much more accurate to the original studio models. Worked great.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/das-white-a ... 01281-1000

The song definitely got me in the mood for this project too!
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project

shipbuilder

Post by shipbuilder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 am

In my case, I am not trying to sell models! The whaler, in fact, was completed and sold years ago, and is now in the US! I do try and get modellers interested in other types of ships, but am a dismal failure in that respect, and always have been! :lol: I often gets requests for information from all over the world, and usually drop everything to reply, but even so, I hardly ever get so much a simple word of thanks. I think communiation skills have just declined on an international scale over recent years. I often wonder who the vast majority of folk in the streets are talking to, as when I try and phone anyone, it is usually "Press 1 if" - Press 2 if," "Your call is important to us, please listen to this quavering music for a couple of hours until someone is free to disconnect you!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway, here is another view of the whaler, all smoothed off, and ready for the planking! Incicentally, the deck planking (scored) is visible on the actual model
Bob
Attachments
4 (Small).jpg
4 (Small).jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 537 times

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:00 am

bob keep pushing forward and get your information out there. sure post by post there may seem to be "nothing" but once it is out people will find it.

like in the move the line is "build it and they will come"
so please carry on I want to learn about what your doing

shipbuilder

Post by shipbuilder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 am

I looked for tug Alva B, but couldn't find it, either here or on MSW! It is true that they will come as far as selling them is concerned, but the rest is mainly silence. Just look at my section on 19th & 20th century here on SOS! It has been a pleasant surprise to see more activity here of late, but there are only a handful of us taking part - no doubt we are being "watched" though! :greetings-waveyellow: :lol:
Bob

shipwright101

Post by shipwright101 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 am

In my case, I am not trying to sell models!

I understand but the gallery concept is a show case of a modelers work. in you case a little bio of who you are what you did your interests in what models you built. Then some how to articles. I would love details on that water. I am thinking of a diorama of the tug Alva under construction on the slip at the waters edge. little workers all over the vessel doing this and doing that. with the model under construction you will be able to see the steam engine

here is the alva

http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_pl ... hp?27263.0

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”