HMS Ferret (1711) 1:48

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

GemmaJF
Petty Officer First Class

Re: HMS Ferret (1711) 1:48

Post by GemmaJF » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:43 am

Donnie wrote:I am very interested in this as well as I want to see the process of how you do all of this.

Donnie
Me too Donnie lol!

I've got several written guides, books and articles I am working through. I think my main contribution will be correcting the image of the plan in Photoshop as much as possible before it goes in CAD.

There is a bit of a 'school of thought' going on where in the guides it is presumed the plans are just wrong and should be uploaded in CAD as they are and then any correction made. It is OK to work like this. I would find this a bit of an odd way to work though as I like all my horizontal and perpendicular lines 'true' in CAD from the start and from past experiences know it can be a case that the plan was not drawn wrong. It can appear distorted because paper is not stable and each time it is reproduced in someway more error is added. So a copy of a 300 year old drawing may need a little work on it before it arrives in CAD.

It is a fascinating journey, I am long way along the path to understanding the Ferret drawing completely and think I will be able to give a coherent guide to doing this. Perhaps it will save people having to read the hundreds of pages of information I am currently going through myself in preparation to do it the first time with a ship plan. :D
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project

barba

Post by barba » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:41 pm

I see you love pirates! I am more like a Navy and I have to keep track of what is happening here.

Your idea is great. We share a variety of knowledge, about modeling, about programs, and solutions, and that's fantastic. It makes this forum super. I am pleased to keep track of your work and the whole discussion.

regards
Barba

GemmaJF

Post by GemmaJF » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks for your interest in the HMS Ferret project Barba it is appreciated.

The exchange of ideas and help available on this form is brilliant and it is fantastic to be able to build on the work that others share. :handgestures-thumbup:
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project

barba

Post by barba » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 am

When You say CAD, what version it is.

I want to follow, I have photoshop but I dont have a CAD. I know my friend have it, but in last few years he replace AutoCad with Inventor. In his opinion is most user friendly!

Barba

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”