HMS Ferret (1711) 1:48

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
zoly99sask
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: HMS Ferret (1711) 1:48

Postby zoly99sask » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 am

GemmaJF wrote:Just wondering how many people would be interested in me covering interpreting these plans on here as well as the CAD work?

I have a bunch of articles to guide me, would be done in the style of 'well I just learnt this', so this is what I get from it. That way it will be open for advice from Dave (and others) if I go the wrong way and maybe we can all learn from it?

Gemma,I am interested in your project,my knowledge about CAD is less than a big nothing,so I might learn something. :D
GemmaJF
Petty Officer First Class

Postby GemmaJF » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Will do then Zoltan. I have a bunch of articles by David White in old Model Shipwright magazines. These cover all the specific stuff I do not know yet about ship plans and how to interpret them, so I can post up the info here as I learn.
Current Build: ZHL Black Pearl 1:50

Next Up: Billing Boats Bounty 1:50

Researching for POB scratch build : HMS Ferret 1:48 (1711)

Projects: Arduino Lighting Project
Canoe21
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby Canoe21 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:19 pm

GemmaJF wrote:Will do then Zoltan. I have a bunch of articles by David White in old Model Shipwright magazines. These cover all the specific stuff I do not know yet about ship plans and how to interpret them, so I can post up the info here as I learn.

Hello Gemma

This CAD thing sounds very interesting, I have tried it a bit but could never achieve what I was after in the first place, just maybe with some of your help here I may learn how to do the CAD drawings, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
Present build - HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Canoe21 wrote:
GemmaJF wrote:Will do then Zoltan. I have a bunch of articles by David White in old Model Shipwright magazines. These cover all the specific stuff I do not know yet about ship plans and how to interpret them, so I can post up the info here as I learn.

Hello Gemma

This CAD thing sounds very interesting, I have tried it a bit but could never achieve what I was after in the first place, just maybe with some of your help here I may learn how to do the CAD drawings, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

It would make documenting the all steps very worthwhile if that was the result Lawrence :handgestures-thumbup:

Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:58 pm

GemmaJF wrote:
Canoe21 wrote:

Hello Gemma

Regards Lawrence

It would make documenting the all steps very worthwhile if that was the result Lawrence :handgestures-thumbup:

Hello Gemma

I thank you very much, Just maybe I will learn how to draw up a ship's profile and framing, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
Present build - HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
zoly99sask

Postby zoly99sask » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 am

shipwright101 wrote:Hi Gemma,this is very interesting I will be watching this build,that link is interesting from MSB,I want to build the Hms Ontario in POB but should be nice to have an Ontario cross section beside her,I have to contact Dave to see if he can help with a Pof cross section plan .

what's you reason for building the Ontario? the reason I ask is the same master shipwright also built the Royal George which I am working on modeling plans. what is interesting with the RG she was built in England then taken apart and shipped as a kit to North America and reassembled.

Hello Dave,I like sloops and brigs and for the Ontario I got the inspiration from Gene Bodnar's Pof build over on the MSB forum.

http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugin ... c.php?4550

Is there any way in the future since the Royal George framing about the same as the Ontario's you could help me with an pof plan for a cross section??Thanks for any response,and please reply at the Hms Ontario thread.
shipwright101

Postby shipwright101 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 am

Hello Dave,I like sloops and brigs and for the Ontario I got the inspiration from Gene Bodnar's Pof build over on the MSB forum.

http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugin ... c.php?4550
GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Just an update of where I am with the Ferret, it will be in the nature of this log that it will be little flurries of activity then all will go quiet again!

Right now I am reading a series of articles written by David White in the Model Shipwright magazines. These give a lot of insights to interpreting the Ferret plans and I now understand them much better. I am coming to the end of the articles, there is still more I want to know so have just ordered a secondhand copy Of Deane's Doctrine of Naval Architecture 1670. This puts me right at the beginning of my period of interest, so a good place to get a start.

If anyone can recommend other books that will shed light on understanding plans and 17th and 18th century ship architecture, I will definitely take a look at them. :handgestures-thumbup:

GemmaJF

Postby GemmaJF » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 am

Dave

I just got to read properly through you thread over on MSB that I posted the link to earlier. I was thinking the 'old school way' was unnecessary when one has CAD. There seems a tendency for many people to transfer old ways to CAD when in fact it is quite able to fill in the gaps itself! I also noticed you said Deane's was not really necessary, I did kind of get interested in how they constructed the ship plans in the first place though and ordered a copy. ;-)

If you have time can you take a look at this?:

Rapid Hull Modeling in Rhinoceros -Gerard.pdf
(292.03 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

This is the method I would like to use for the Ferret. I am a Rhino user and I think this has a lot of merit. Remember I am not aiming for POF, I want a well faired hull to act as the template for a POB build.

Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:49 pm

I am very interested in this as well as I want to see the process of how you do all of this.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”