Steamships in miniature

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
shipbuilder
Petty Officer First Class

Steamships in miniature

Postby shipbuilder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 am

For miniaturists who have mastered the art of building sailing ships, a far more complicated model is that of the steamship. Rigging of sailing ships is basically very simple, but steamships have multiple decks, numerous portholes and windows, guard rails, lifeboats and deck machinery - to say nothing of loads of cowl ventilators and ladders. One has only to look at excellent builds such as Kaiser Wilhelm der Gross on the Model Ship World forum, to realise how complicated they are. Here is my humble effort with a miniature of Cunard Line's Arabia, of 1947. 32 feet to 1 inch (1:384). I built this model simply because I liked the look of it. It is no longer in our posession!
Bob
Attachments
Arabia 1947.JPG
Arabia 32 feet to 1 inch (1:384)
Arabia 1947.JPG (58.5 KiB) Viewed 83 times
shipbuilder

Re: Steamships in miniature

Postby shipbuilder » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:43 am

This represents the first attempt of one of our SOS memeber at scratchbuilding after taking in what I have said about the subject. I find it quite an incredible model by any standards.
Bob

http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=381

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”