Small ketches are ideal to begin with when contemplating going into miniature shipbuilding. The plans of Squirrel were obtained from the book Schooner Sunset, by Douglas Bennet. One lump of wood may be used for several models, and this block has already produced some larger models. It is obeche, a medium hardwood, but if you feel that is too hard to work - use balsa wood - same result! The important thing to remember is that if you say, or think, "I could never do that," - you have no chance! If, on the other hand, think, "Can't be all that difficult, I'll give it a go" - you will probably be pleasantly surprised.
This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Petty Officer First Class
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:39 am
- Location: Great Britain
- The lump of wood
- 1 (Small).JPG (40.12 KiB) Viewed 235 times
- Making a start
- 2 (Small).JPG (46.55 KiB) Viewed 235 times
- Ready to go in the display case
- Squirrel (Small).JPG (36.82 KiB) Viewed 235 times