GOLDEN HINDE by Canoe21 { Lawrence } Harold A Underhill Plans, Scale 1:60

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

Canoe21
Petty Officer First Class

Re: GOLDEN HINDE by Canoe21 { Lawrence } Harold A Underhill Plans, Scale 1:60

Post by Canoe21 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:21 am

modelshipwright wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 pm
It is nice to see so many photos of the work. Sure is coming along nicely.

Regards,
Bill
Hello Bill

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the little ship the Golden Hind, being so small she certainly is a challenge for an old guy like me. I also thank you for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Yes, she is slowly coming together, but with a lot of redos, just one of the joys of model shipbuilding, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 am

Sgtmik wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm
Ahoy Lawrence,
The falconets do look great. :handgestures-thumbup:
:handgestures-salute:
Hello Mike

I thank you for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Yes, the Falconets seam to do the job of taking away the distraction of the Upper Ploop Deck Railing, They are only dry fitted as of now and must be blackened or painted when I add the second pair to the Focal Deck, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:28 am

Hello Ship Mates

Again I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the Golden Hind. Also for your many kind words and overly nice comments

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been quite active even though our weather has turned quite cold down around 15F or -15C and along with around 3" or 8cm with a very lot of wind, sure has been the kind of weather to keep ones old bones in the warm Old Ship Yard. This week we tackled a bunch of little chores. We drilled and dry fitted the Bow Sprite and also the Fore Mast. We mounted and installed our Lion Figure Head. We built and installed the three curved pin rails one for each of the Golden Hines Mast. We built and installed the three Lower Lifting Yard Blocks in the Deck close to the Masts. We have also drilled and dry fitted the Pin Rail Figure Heads that do have to be painted as yet before we can install them. Last but not least my Admiral did not like the rope railing around the companionways so we removed all of the rope and replaced it with wood, she is much happier with the new look. It does look much nicer,               ENJOY. 

Regards   Lawrence
Attachments
img_4805.jpg
img_4805.jpg (167.87 KiB) Viewed 83 times
img_4806.jpg
img_4806.jpg (173.02 KiB) Viewed 83 times
img_4807.jpg
img_4807.jpg (194.09 KiB) Viewed 83 times
img_4808.jpg
img_4808.jpg (194.5 KiB) Viewed 83 times
img_4809.jpg
img_4809.jpg (203.21 KiB) Viewed 83 times
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 am

Hello Ship Mates

Again I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Golden Hind. 

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have painted and installed the 6 Knight Heads that sit on the end post of the three Pin Railings that at the foot of each mast.We have also blackened the swivel cannons that are on the Upper Ploop Deck. We have also built the mount for the Ships Bell on the After Focal Hand Rail and installed the Ships Bell.

Today's project will be building the 10 or 12 Kervels or the larger Cleats that mount on the ships Outer  Bulkheads, these are very tiny, a mere 1/4" or 6mm high, we will be trying to follow those on the Replica Golden Hinds that is docked in Londen England, looks like a challenge as my set of build plans do not show any of this finer detail, not even the Ships Bell,                                                                                                                                                                       ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence
Attachments
img_4810.jpg
img_4810.jpg (152.78 KiB) Viewed 59 times
img_4811.jpg
img_4811.jpg (181.44 KiB) Viewed 59 times
img_4812.jpg
img_4812.jpg (171.46 KiB) Viewed 59 times
img_4813.jpg
img_4813.jpg (148.87 KiB) Viewed 59 times
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Aussie048
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Aussie048 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 am

Lawrence

As you know I have and appreciated seeing your work for when I first started Model Ship Building about 5 years ago. You have a lot to contribute to the newbies in in the art of Model Ship building like myself. We can always learn from on another.

Your workmanship on the Golden Hinde looks excellent.

Cheers
Geoff
Aussie048

Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution
HMS Triton Section Poseidon section

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Aussie048 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 am
Lawrence

As you know I have and appreciated seeing your work for when I first started Model Ship Building about 5 years ago. You have a lot to contribute to the newbies in in the art of Model Ship building like myself. We can always learn from on another.

Your workmanship on the Golden Hinde looks excellent.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the little ship The Golden Hind. Also for your very kind words and overly nice comments. I do very much appreciate your comments very much and I do try to lend a helping hand to my Ship Mates, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Sgtmik

Post by Sgtmik » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Ahoy Capt. Lawrence,
Really, Really nice work. I agree wholeheartedly with Geoff. I did want to ask you how you got that rustic look to your swivel guns?
Great job. :handgestures-thumbup:
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 am

Sgtmik wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm
Ahoy Capt. Lawrence,
Really, Really nice work. I agree wholeheartedly with Geoff. I did want to ask you how you got that rustic look to your swivel guns?
Great job. :handgestures-thumbup:
Hello Mike

I do thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the Golden Hind. Also for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Like Geoff says I am always ready to help out in any way I can to my Ship Mates. I do like to look for different ways to do things, I guess it is just a carry-over from my supervisor job in the plastic industry. I blackened the brass swivel cannons with Patina left over from my Admirals stained glass work in a large pill bottle cap, constantly stirring and when it got black enough I rinsed it good under running water. Letting it dry I gave them a couple of coats of a water-based Varathane, not rubbing off the little bit of flaking that does occur with using Patina. And that is how I did it, hope this helps. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
Last edited by Canoe21 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Aussie048
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Aussie048 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 am

Lawrence.

One of neptune joins build log has a blackening agent he use. I should go back and look it up, from one another we can all learn. John has abot 4 decades of Model ship building I think

Cheers
Geoff
Aussie048

Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution
HMS Triton Section Poseidon section

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

Canoe21

Post by Canoe21 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:44 am

Aussie048 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 am
Lawrence.

One of neptune joins build log has a blackening agent he use. I should go back and look it up, from one another we can all learn. John has abot 4 decades of Model ship building I think

Cheers
Geoff
Hello Geoff

Thanks Geoff

Yes, I do remember John,s Post on how he makes up his own Blacker, John did send me the directions of just how it is made up. But alas, I have not given it a try as yet, just too many irons in the old fireplace at once, but I will. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”