GOLDEN HINDE by Canoe21 { Lawrence } Harold A Underhill Plans, Scale 1:60

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.

Moderator: zoly99sask

Canoe21
Petty Officer First Class

Re: GOLDEN HINDE by Canoe21 { Lawrence } Harold A Underhill Plans, Scale 1:60

Postby Canoe21 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Peglegreg wrote:G'day Lawrence
Your craftsmanship is again shinning through on this wonderful ship. I dunno how you can churn out such wonders, year after years!
You and 'the little fellow' are amazing mate.
Happymodelling
Greg

Hello Greg

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log. For your very kind words and overly nice comments. You make my head swell with your compliments, I am nowhere that good but I do appreciate your very kind words, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
Mike41
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby Mike41 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am

Hi Lawrence,
I just read through your build log, very fine workmanship and the lighting will make this an outstanding model.
Mike
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 am

Mike41 wrote:Hi Lawrence,
I just read through your build log, very fine workmanship and the lighting will make this an outstanding model.
Mike

Hello Mike

Welcome to my build log, I am always pleased to have a new crew member on board. Your words and comments are always welcome here. Please pull up a chair and join in on the fun of building this little ship the Golden Hind. Please stop by very often as you will find that the door to the Old Ship Yard is always open, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. For your very kind words and overly nice comments. Also for your many likes.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have built and installed the two gun ports panels. Built and installed the two Mane Decks Bulwarks and painted the inside Red along with the edges of the Gun Ports,                                                                                               ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence
Attachments
IMG_4682.JPG
MY GUN PORT DRILLING JIG.
IMG_4682.JPG (220.85 KiB) Viewed 134 times
IMG_4683.JPG
IMG_4683.JPG (262.15 KiB) Viewed 134 times
IMG_4684.JPG
IMG_4684.JPG (248.15 KiB) Viewed 134 times
IMG_4685.JPG
IMG_4685.JPG (233.41 KiB) Viewed 134 times
canoe21 { Lawrence }

JosephH

Postby JosephH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:31 pm

looks great I always wanted to do a galleon of the spanish armada but those weird shapes in the back got me nervous
Scale Model Design and Fabrication L.L.C.
http://www.proflooney.net
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:04 pm

JosephH wrote:looks great I always wanted to do a galleon of the spanish armada but those weird shapes in the back got me nervous

Hello Joseph H

Welcome to my build log on the little ship the Golden Hind. I am always pleased to have a new crew member on board. Your words and comments are always welcome here. Please pull up a chair and join in the fun of building this little ship. Please stop by very often as you will find that the door to the Old Ship Yard is never closed.

I believe that the Galleon's are not that much different or difficult to build than any other ship before the 1900ths.. Oh there are a few planks that are a bit trying but by soaking your wood for hours then pre bending it, I like to bend right on the hull. Except for a few of the sharper bends thin I try to find a radius as close as possible to match my ship, normally this will be a tomato can or the likes. By clamping one end of your plank to the can and very slowly bend a full 90. The back support of the can dose give you a lot of freeway. By all means do build the ship that you have your eye on, you will find it very enjoyable. And by chance you do get stuck, then just holler help and with all of the ship on the Form that are so very willing to help out. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

JosephH

Postby JosephH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:18 pm

thanks lawrence its mainly the tall parts on the back section doesnt seem like the frames go all the way up however I do have a nice book on galleons ill read some day. I just need to learn to draw the basics first
Scale Model Design and Fabrication L.L.C.
http://www.proflooney.net
Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:07 pm

JosephH wrote:thanks lawrence its mainly the tall parts on the back section doesnt seem like the frames go all the way up however I do have a nice book on galleons ill read some day. I just need to learn to draw the basics first

Hi Joseph H

Yes there is framing all the way up, I built my Golden Hind in layers as I wanted her to have a deck between decks. A very uncongenial way to build but this is what I wanted to try. The Kits are rather easy so to speak or you can by plans from Amati that are very good. The ones that I got are rather advanced and they stump me at times for sure, Good Luck, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello Ship Mates

I again thank you all for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Golden Hind. Also for your many likes.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been busy tidying up things just a bit. We have built and installed the eight Knees on the Mane Deck, we have cut out and installed the Grating on the Focal and also installed the one the Mane Deck. We have decided to start the Hull Planking. We have installed three rows of Planking that are 3mm or 0,125" x 1.5mm or 0.60". So my Ship Mates will know what I am up to for the next couple o days at least,  ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence
Attachments
IMG_4686.JPG
IMG_4686.JPG (284.81 KiB) Viewed 97 times
IMG_4687.JPG
IMG_4687.JPG (303.48 KiB) Viewed 97 times
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all for all of your visits to my build log .

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have spent almost the past 3 days in planking the hull and we have only reached the half way point. This seams like a long time for such a small ship like the Golden Hind. But then again this is due to the very narrow planks that we are planking the hull with as they are only 3mm or 0.125" wide, we will be back at it again tomorrow,                                                                                                                ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence
Attachments
IMG_4688.JPG
IMG_4688.JPG (249.99 KiB) Viewed 43 times
IMG_4689.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG (253.4 KiB) Viewed 43 times
IMG_4690.JPG
IMG_4690.JPG (289.08 KiB) Viewed 43 times
canoe21 { Lawrence }

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”