Queen Anne Style Barge - POF- 1/2" scale

This Forum is all about building your ship from pure scratch, with the aid of plans, or even heavy modification or kit bashing. All can be found here.
Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Queen Anne Style Barge - POF- 1/2" scale

Postby Chuck » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 pm

This model project is of a 1/2" scale Royal navy barge circa 1700. I am trying to push the envelope a bit with my design concepts and the laser cutter. It will look like the contemporary model below but actually be almost exactly like the Queen Anne style barge shown in the Kriegstein collection. Those that have the Seawatch book should check it out. This will be a fully framed little model and I am very excited about it. I hope these photos will give you a sufficient idea about the scope/concept of the project. This is a big barge model at over 20" long.

barge6.jpg
barge6.jpg (143.72 KiB) Viewed 252 times

barge9.jpg
barge9.jpg (166.53 KiB) Viewed 252 times

As was done on the contemporary model, the elements of the keel assemble were assembled first

barge7.jpg
barge7.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Then the frames were assembled to show the floors and futtocks. They were inserted into a build board and the keel positioned on top of it.

barge8.jpg
barge8.jpg (266.71 KiB) Viewed 252 times

Finally the model was removed from the build board after it was planked.

barge3.jpg
barge3.jpg (347.98 KiB) Viewed 252 times

barge4.jpg
barge4.jpg (239.55 KiB) Viewed 252 times

All of the wood on this project will be cherry except for the the carved elements. The wood was bought from WoodProjectSource.com. They also offer Alaskan Yellow cedar which is another fine wood and I am building a second barge from this wood at the same time.

Here you can see the models a bit further along. The Cherry version behind the yellow Cedar version. I have also started carving the decorative elements from boxwood. All the carvings were done by hand using an exacto blade. The carvings are just 1/32" thick/

barge5.jpg
barge5.jpg (23.82 KiB) Viewed 252 times

barge1.jpg
barge1.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 252 times

barge2.jpg
barge2.jpg (181.03 KiB) Viewed 252 times

More progress to follow soon. Thanks for looking!!! :D

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sgtmik
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Queen Anne Style Barge - POF- 1/2" scale

Postby Sgtmik » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi Chuck,
You have a really nice looking model. Thank you for sharing. :text-thankyouyellow: :handgestures-thumbup: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution
Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Chuck » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Thank You very much !! :D
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:40 am

Very nice model. I wish I could carve such detail. I can not even draw as good as you carve.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Chuck » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 am

I hope to get back to this model in May. The carved decorations are all being done by starting with a laser cut blank.

carvingblanks.jpg
carvingblanks.jpg (84.78 KiB) Viewed 105 times

carving 2.jpg
carving 2.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 105 times

guildedcipher.jpg
guildedcipher.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 105 times

I basically used four easy beginner carving techniques. Lots of stop cuts. But they are at a micro level. Its hardly woodcarving and more like chip carving in my opinion. This is the first wood carved decoration I have made in 25 years. I usually prefer to sculpt as you know. So this was a really fun learning experience. I am far far from being any kind of expert and consider myself an absolute beginner. The whole thing was carved with a number eleven blade in my hobby knife. It is far from anything noteworthy but I am happy with it and excited about doing more carving. Which is the whole point. Some folks use a rotary cutter to carve and this just isnt my thing. I dont think the carvings look crisp enough in my opinion and I feel like I have more control with an actual blade. Just my personal pref.

mounting3.jpg
mounting3.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 105 times

It was mounted/glued to a thick base for carving as you can see. It worked great. After I was done, I literally soaked it in a cup of 90% rubbing alcohol. 1 hour later this carving literally fell off the baseboard. This was just a test for me and I will be carving another in boxwood for the model.

carving examples1.jpg
carving examples1.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Other aspects of the carved works will done using Sculpey (polymer clay). These pieces are what will be made next after I complete a few more boxwood carvings.
Sgtmik

Postby Sgtmik » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Chuck,
Did you make the laser cut blanks, or did you buy them? Really beautiful work.
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:
Regards
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution
Chuck
Seaman
Seaman

Postby Chuck » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm

I made them. I am fortunate enough to have a laser cutter in my shop. I also make a dozen or so of these same exact laser cut blanks and the NRG sells them to folks who want to try their hand at some carving. You can buy them on the NRG website. Its a good way for folks who have never tried their hand at such work to give it a go without having to worry about cutting out the blanks on their own scroll saw. At this size and thickness its probably the most difficult thing to do. But once you have them....you have the opportunity to experiment with all of the other techniques to see if it something you want to pursue.

see here

http://www.thenrg.org/the-nrg-store.php ... y=13294033

Chuck
barba
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Postby barba » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 am

Hi Chuch

This is a beautiful work. Very clean. You can have Leser cutter but also You need more to do so precise and clean carvings. All Barge is in fantastic level.
You have planes for make laser cut or You make them alone?

regards
Barba
Completed builds:
Trabakul:http://shipsofscale.com/gallery/iradosevic/trabakul/index.html
Pasara:http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39
Bracera:http://www.shipsofscale.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82

Return to “SOS Build Logs Scratch or from Plans”