OcCre's Santisima Trinidad

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Undersea4me
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: OcCre's Santisima Trinidad

Postby Undersea4me » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I think I forgot to mention that I dry fit the bulwark in place with my planking pins from MicroMark.com. I added the first lower interior plank and let the glue dry while it was clamped tite and flush against the deck planking. I then removed the bulwark and proceeded to plank the rest of it, moving upward. This created a nice lip/location point to precisely mount the bulwark to the hul. It also made it easier to trim off the access planking at the top of the bulwark, while it was flat on the bench. You certainly have more control of the x-acto knife tracing the bulwark on the table. The instructions all called for this to be done later down the road, after the bulwark was glued on. Doing all this off the ship made for a cleaner and easier process, especially with the ringbolt hole drilling/locations.
Attachments
Bulwarksplanking.jpg
Bulwarksplanking.jpg (95.44 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Clampedplankingbulwark.jpg
Clampedplankingbulwark.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 386 times
"We want to explore the themes of the ocean's existence-how it moves and breathes, how it experiences dramas and seasons, how it nourishes its hosts of living things, how it harmonizes the physical and biological rhythms of the whole earth, what hurts it and what feeds it-not least of all, what are its stories."
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Very nice build process. Your deck looks very realistic. Nicely done - all of it !!!!

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Donnie wrote:Very nice build process. Your deck looks very realistic. Nicely done - all of it !!!!

Donnie

Thanks so much, Donnie!
"We want to explore the themes of the ocean's existence-how it moves and breathes, how it experiences dramas and seasons, how it nourishes its hosts of living things, how it harmonizes the physical and biological rhythms of the whole earth, what hurts it and what feeds it-not least of all, what are its stories."
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Today I am to the point of glueing the port side, 1st bulwark, on permanently. I wanted to dry test fit the lower bulwarks all at the same time to ensure that there would be no surprise gaps at bottom where the bulwark lays into the notch on the frames. So far they seem to line up pretty close, and the spacing between them seems okay. The overlap at the bow will be okay when its its soaked in water and bended to match the frames. The picture shows them dry fitted and only secured in a couple of places, to ensure proper spacing between them all is going to line up and work out. I also have a picture of the bulwark sections that had to be butt joined together. These will all be strengthened with planking so the glue joint is just enough to hold them together to glue to the frames and then plank. I used Titebond II on one, and CA (Super glue) on the other, just to see which held the best with hardly any surface area. They both seems to be okay. The CA probobly worked the best I guess, but the Titebond was fine as well. No worries on the appearance as this will all be covered up.
Attachments
Dryfit_bulwrks1.jpg
Dryfit_bulwrks1.jpg (102.1 KiB) Viewed 330 times
bulwarkjoints.jpg
bulwarkjoints.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:06 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Looks like everything is 'joining' very well. Nice work !

Oh, were are your false cannon supports (the 1/2 inch square pieces that fit behind the port openings)???

Donnie

No Guts, No Glory !
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Donnie wrote::handgestures-thumbupleft:
Looks like everything is 'joining' very well. Nice work !

Oh, were are your false cannon supports (the 1/2 inch square pieces that fit behind the port openings)???

Donnie

Thanks, Donnie! Yes, they were a 3x15x200 strip that had to be cut off 15x15 square pieces
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 pm

I have managed to get some more time in on the Trinidad this weekend. I wanted to finish pinning the 1st bulwark on and then on to the Bulwark #2. I had to finish adding the false cannon supports to Bulwark #2, painted the interior of it flat black (as some of it can barely be seen from the top deck through the gratings) and had some trimming and pruning to do to get a nice dry fit overall.
Attachments
Pinning_Bulwark1.jpg
I wanted to use a pin vise to make a small hole in order to hold the pin. They are so small that is very difficult to try to hold them and hammer at the same time. Your fingers get in the way
Pinning_Bulwark1.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 227 times
CAonPin.jpg
I decided to put a drop of CA (SuperGlue) on the pin so that it will have a permanent bond and won't tend to back out over time
CAonPin.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 227 times
HammeringPin.jpg
HammeringPin.jpg (78.9 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Bulwarkfit.jpg
The bulwark has a nice fit, overall except for a slight gap at the bow.
Bulwarkfit.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 227 times
BulwarkGap.jpg
I noticed my mistake after I had glued and pinned the opposite end of the Bulwark down already. Ugh, I think the gap looks worse in the image than it actually is though. Some things you just cant turn back on, I guess. Getting those Glued in Pins out would be next to impossible I think.
BulwarkGap.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 227 times
completed2Bulwark.jpg
All in all, I think I am satisfied with the fit. I will make some adjustments due to the gap if need be down the line, during the planking process
completed2Bulwark.jpg (107.13 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Very, very nice !!! Your documentation graphics is very well done. Anyone should be able to build this ship following this log. BTW, what graphics software are you using. I like the heavy white borders around the text. I am using Corel's Paint Shop Pro X9 and can't figure out how to get the same result.

No Guts, No Glory !
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks so much , Donnie! I found a little app called Skitch. It's really simple but a bit limited. Has all the bacic things though. It does what I need it to do, and perfect for this.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”