OcCre's Santisima Trinidad

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
Undersea4me
Petty Officer Third Class

OcCre's Santisima Trinidad

Postby Undersea4me » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Hello, my name is Chuck Jensen and I am excited to start a new build log of OcCre's Santisima Trinidad. Special thanks to Donnie for all the guidance and the inspiration to attempt this one! I received the Santisima Trinidad (ST) today. I was happy with the delivery time. I ordered on Thursday and received it on Monday. She made it across the pond, all the way from the UK in one piece. The folks at Cornwall Boats did a nice job with packaging. They do a nice job with presentation and bundling the parts and materials. The instructions are presented in both Spanish and English (2 separate sets). The plans appear easy to read and seem pretty straightforward. I will study the plans for a few days while I wait for some more supplies before I began building the frames. Thanks for your interest and I will post more soon.
Attachments
Inthebox4b.jpg
Inthebox4b.jpg (172.13 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Inthebox3b.jpg
Inthebox3b.jpg (146.64 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Inthebox2b.jpg
Inthebox2b.jpg (198.01 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Inthebox1b.jpg
Inthebox1b.jpg (137.65 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Last edited by Undersea4me on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We want to explore the themes of the ocean's existence-how it moves and breathes, how it experiences dramas and seasons, how it nourishes its hosts of living things, how it harmonizes the physical and biological rhythms of the whole earth, what hurts it and what feeds it-not least of all, what are its stories."
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Aussie048
Petty Officer First Class
Petty Officer First Class

Re: OcCre's Santisima Trinidad

Postby Aussie048 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 pm

Chuck

I am looking forward to seeing you build your Santisima Trinidad. It looks like a very nice kit and ship

Cheers
Geoff
Current Build Link:-
Mamoli - USS Constitution

On Hold Builds:-
Santa Maria
Norfolk Sloop Delxue

Ship Modelling Society of Victoria

***Live , Listen and Learn***
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 am

A friend of mine, now moved to Tasmania, showed me his kit, it came in two boxes and both were very heavy. Obviously a lot of metalwork, I'm not sure who the kit was from but the boxes had a lot of blue on them. I would love to build this model myself but.....
Look forward to your log and welcome.
Regards
Eric
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:25 am

A bit about the Ship
Spanish ship Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad
Santísima Trinidad
History
Flag of Spain (1785-1873 and 1885-1931).svg
Launched: Havana, Cuba, 3 March 1769
Fate: Wrecked 22 October 1805 after the Battle of Trafalgar
General characteristics
Class and type: 140-gun first-rate
Displacement: 4,950 tons
Length: 61.3 m (201 ft)
Beam: 16.2 m (53 ft)
Draught: 8.02 m (26.3 ft)
Complement: 1,050
Armament:
112 guns as built:
lower deck 30 × 36 pdrs,
middle deck 32 × 24 pdrs,
upper deck 32 × 12 pdrs,
quarterdeck and forecastle 18 × 8 pdrs.
The Santísima Trinidad (officially named Santísima Trinidad by Royal Order on 12 March 1768, nicknamed La Real and sometimes confused with the Manila galleon Santísima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora del Buen Fin) was a Spanish first-rate ship of the line of 112 guns, which was increased in 1795–96 to 130 guns by closing in the spar deck between the quarterdeck and forecastle, and around 1802 to 140 guns, thus creating what was in effect a continuous fourth gundeck although the extra guns added were actually relatively small. She was the heaviest-armed ship in the world when rebuilt, and bore the most guns of any ship of the line outfitted in the Age of Sail.
Info from Wikipedia
"We want to explore the themes of the ocean's existence-how it moves and breathes, how it experiences dramas and seasons, how it nourishes its hosts of living things, how it harmonizes the physical and biological rhythms of the whole earth, what hurts it and what feeds it-not least of all, what are its stories."
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 am

After 3 years of anticipation and going back and forth between two different kits, the Cauldercraft Diana from the Nelsons Navy series and OcCre’s Santisima Trinidad, I have decided on one. With much excitement, I have purchased the Santisima Trinidad. Here is a quick overview of the kit that I purchased from Cornwall Model Boats, located in the UK. Their website can be found at http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk. The online transaction went smooth and it shipped immediately, without delay. It was shipped via UPS express saver and I received it in 3 days. I was very impressed with their website, inventory and service. It is manufactured by OcCre out of Spain, and their website is located at http://www.occre.com. This is my second OcCre build and I was familiar with their quality and wood. That was another deciding factor in my choice. This is a much more advanced and larger kit than the first. OcCre makes a nice quality kit and Im very excited to get going on it.

The scale of the model is 1:90. It is a plank on bulkhead wooden kit.(P.O.B)

Height- 34.5″

Width – 16.3″

Length 41.7″

I anticipate this build to be very challenging and take a few years to complete… I will post as often as I can and I appreciate your patience with that. I do have a full-time job and a lovely wife and family that needs some of my time as well, so there will be times when I don’t get around to posting, or am just taking a break from it all. Please check back regularly for updates. I will post as often as I can. As time goes on, I will also attempt to keep track of and post total hours accumulated on the build. Thanks for taking an interest, and following along with my build of this first-rate ship of the line, the Santisima Trinidad.

I hope you enjoy

Chuck
Jacques Yves Cousteau
GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby GaryM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:13 pm

This is a complex model and I enjoyed watching Donnie when he built his. I will watch this one also. Glad you joined us on this site. Good luck with the build.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:05 pm

[quote][/quote]I am looking forward to seeing you build your Santisima Trinidad. It looks like a very nice kit and ship

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff!
Last edited by Undersea4me on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:11 pm

GaryM wrote:This is a complex model and I enjoyed watching Donnie when he built his. I will watch this one also. Glad you joined us on this site. Good luck with the build.

Thanks so much Gary! I'm looking forward to the challenge!
Chuck
Jacques Yves Cousteau
donlong
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby donlong » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Chuck,
My name is Don Long. About three pages back you will find Don’s Santisima Trinidad by OcCre. I must admit I was as excited about building the ST as you. Unfortunately, I was hit with a latent reaction from being exposed to Agent Orange during Vietnam. It put me in the hospital about three years ago and left me somewhat limited in the use of my lungs, feet, arms and hands. My refusal to become addicted to pain medication has made working on the ST extremely difficult (impossible for the moment).

During the time I was working on the ST, I got many ideas about the color scheme of the ship, number and placement of guns, etc. I wanted to build her as she looked at Trafalgar. From all that I could find in my research, she was a sight to behold.

Midshipman William Badcock aboard the HMS Neptune, described her as:
“Some of the enemy’s ships were painted like ourselves – with double yellow sides, some with a broad single red or yellow streak, others all black, and the noble Santisima Trinidad with four distinct lines of red, with a white ribbon between them, made her seem to be a superb man-of-war… She was lying under topsails, top-gallant sails, royals, jibs, and spanker; her courses were hauled up, and her lofty, towering sails looked beautiful, peering through the smoke as she awaited the onset. The flags of France and Spain both handsome, chequered the line, waving defiance to that of Britain.”

If you find yourself wanting to do more than… especially in the ship’s cabin area, do it before you install the decks. Believe me; it will be much easier to access than the way I did it. It sounds like OcCre has made changes to the kit… hopeful in the selection of the hull planking material. I found it difficult to blend the planks around the stern and bow. Heat and soaking finally won out for the kit I have.

Anyway, I am glad the ST is getting another chance at immortality even if it is in kit form. While she was actually poorly designed, no one wanted to be broadside of her when she was set for action.

Enjoy!

Don
Current Build: Santisima Trinidad
Next in Line: HMS Victory
Undersea4me

Postby Undersea4me » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:48 pm

GaryM wrote:This is a complex model and I enjoyed watching Donnie when he built his. I will watch this one also. Glad you joined us on this site. Good luck with the build.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Gary. I will need all the help I can get! :D
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”