Build log: San Juan by Artesania Latina 1/30(!)

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
xenrunner
Seaman
Seaman

Build log: San Juan by Artesania Latina 1/30(!)

Postby xenrunner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:14 am

Hi folks,

I'll be sharing my build of the San Juan here.

On this first message I'd like to talk about the kit itself and my reason for chosing it as my 4th build.

For those who think the San Juan is a beginners model; it is not. There are just too many things left out by Artesania that you have to find ways to make this a nice model.

First of all, the scale is nowhere near 1/30. It is 1/60 at best if not smaller. For it is supposed to be 1/30, many fittings are way too big so that you'll have to find/make smaller ones (eyebolts etc.)

The cannons are very amateurish and unrealistic, at least you have to make handles for them, and find a way to rig them to the deck, and thank god that there's only 12 of them.

The plans are decent enough but not regular Artesania quality; a beginner might find this to be a pain.

The gunport frames and covers and half of the coat of arms are not uniformly colored (some bronze and some raw zamac), so you have to paint them.

I'll add more as I proceed with the build :text-lol:

Ok, so why I have chosen this kit? Well, first of all there's a lot of room for improvement. And more importantly to get better acquinted with rigging in a cost effective way (kit cost about $130).

Since I hate materials that do not match real-life, I will try to make cannon cradles of wood, carve the insides of the window frames and use real glass, make a wooden longboat, etc.

I will be building this boat in two locations (my city apartment and summer house), so there might be some slight delays in posting photos.

I guess that's all ... will continue with what I was able to do so far shortly ...

Cem.
Graham
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Build log: San Juan by Artesania Latina 1/30(!)

Postby Graham » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:51 am

Good luck and I will follow with interest. It is great when people explain how they tackled problems and what the fix was because it helps others - especially beginners like me! Regards.
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:56 pm

let the fun begin! :) how many projects do you have in the works? I have around eight.......;) fascinating,....aren't they! ;)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
xenrunner
Seaman
Seaman

Postby xenrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:03 am

Popeye hi,

I used to have a few projects going at a time but I noticed that none of them gets completed so I decided to go with one at a time :)

Graham hi, I will add tips whenever I can. There are tons of tricks for making things better, easier, faster ... Although sounds unrelated; stuff I learned from any kind of model building, be it plastic or R/C, or trains, are used in a way or another in boat building.

Ok, let's start ...

The basics here; the frame and the lower deck planking, and trenailing ...

I decided to go with 6 cm. planks; somehow it feels bit more realistic to cut the planks and lay them.
Attachments
frame_1.jpg
frame_1.jpg (261.48 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
frame_2.jpg
frame_2.jpg (311.6 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
lower_deck_1.jpg
lower_deck_1.jpg (274.44 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
lower_deck_2.jpg
lower_deck_2.jpg (216.29 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
lower_deck_3.jpg
lower_deck_3.jpg (226.78 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
Last edited by xenrunner on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
xenrunner
Seaman
Seaman

Postby xenrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:28 am

Bulwarks are planked and dyed.

I use tea for coloring white (light) planks. A few layers (3 or 4) of tea gives a warm amberish color and the depth of the color is easily controlled by the number of layers.

Tip: put a sachet of tea in a regular glass (that can stand boiling water). Turn on your kettle, fill the glass halfway with boiling water. Let it cool down; (we want very dark tea for dying) and apply. If you like, you can keep the tea in a jar for a short time (few days or so).
Attachments
bulkwark_1.jpg
bulkwark_1.jpg (232.66 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
bulwark_2.jpg
bulwark_2.jpg (353.24 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
bulwark_3.jpg
bulwark_3.jpg (222.36 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Last edited by xenrunner on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
xenrunner
Seaman
Seaman

Postby xenrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:05 am

Like I said; I developed a strong dislike for materials not matching real life. So I decided to build cannon cradles of wood leftover from previous builds. The eyebolt (last photo) attached to the cradle is made of steel wire that came with the kit. This however, is not the intended use for the wire; Artesania suggests tying some pulleys to masts etc. with steel wire which, again, is not to my taste.
Attachments
cannon_1.jpg
cannon_1.jpg (289.39 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
cannon_2.jpg
cannon_2.jpg (265.82 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
cannon_3.jpg
cannon_3.jpg (297.47 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
cannon_4.jpg
cannon_4.jpg (263.88 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
cannon_5.jpg
cannon_5.jpg (236.3 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
xenrunner
Seaman
Seaman

Postby xenrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 am

Stem gallery is planked on both sides, trimmed with walnut strip, struts glued and rails installed. Finished with satin clearcoat spray.

I have used my hitech method to bend the walnut strip: first dip the strip into boiling water and keep it soaked for about 15 minutes, longer the better. And wrap it around a suitable diameter glass with cloth hangers ... and voila!

I have placed the struts on a strip of masking tape for easy painting.

For future reference: the placing of the struts is 12.5 mm center to center.
Attachments
balcony_1.jpg
balcony_1.jpg (266.58 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
balcony_2.jpg
balcony_2.jpg (248.92 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
balcony_3.jpg
balcony_3.jpg (277.89 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
balcony_5.jpg
balcony_5.jpg (124.43 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
balcony_7.jpg
balcony_7.jpg (264.17 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
balcony_8.jpg
balcony_8.jpg (252.16 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
balcony_9.jpg
balcony_9.jpg (215.61 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
xenrunner
Seaman
Seaman

Postby xenrunner » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:07 am

Anchors are furnished. Nothing fancy here but a hint: the ropes are fastened with a single knot for better looks. To keep the knot fastened I use a drop of Model Master dullcote (matte varnish) on it. Varnish acts as a glue and it becomes practically invisible once dried. This can be used for any kind of knot, and especially keeping coils of rope steady ... very professional looking work is achieved easily.
Attachments
anchors_1.jpg
anchors_1.jpg (228.23 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
anchors_2.jpg
anchors_2.jpg (260.76 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:28 am

Very nice ! I like your redo of the carriages. Treenails look great too.

Donnie
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
xenrunner
Seaman
Seaman

Postby xenrunner » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks Donnie, the carriages certainly look better than the original ones, me thinks.

I've been quite lazy the past week, but some paint job is done. Also; gunport doors are drilled and eyebolts added. Although close-up photos reveal all the imperfections; painted parts look much better to the naked eye ... :D

This week I'll be going to the summerhouse so, much work expected to be done there.
Attachments
coat_of_arms.jpg
coat_of_arms.jpg (285 KiB) Viewed 1207 times

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”